IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Penon sent my Aladdins to YanYin for warranty repair, I wonā€™t see them for a while and havenā€™t had them for a few weeks. From memory, sub-bass is very similar but mid-bass is stronger on the Canon, which helps to add some tactility and punch to the bass.

But this is strictly a ā€œfrom memoryā€ comparison.

2 Likes

Ok thank you for your reply thatā€™s very helpful

Going to dubai in 2 weeks! Any audiophile stores that allow us to audition high end IEM the likes of Singapores , Zeppelin Co cafe does in dubai that is worth a visit ??

Itā€™s safe to say along with my friends who just got into this hobby, that KZ is dead. The ZS10 Pro is probably the last IEM that I will ever own from them, because after all of the bullshit stand that they did, getting a KZ IEM for myself is no longer a thing for me.

Might as well go for a Tripowin IEM at this point as a new starting point, for so far they are seem solid on what they have been releasing so far.

@Ohmboy mate, could we get an official thread for Yanyin Canon? Some useful links below. I will also be writing a review once my unit arrives.

Muchas gracias!

1 Like

All done buddy :+1:

3 Likes

Guys, I couldnā€™t helped it anymore because I pulled the trigger on an upcoming IEM that I am looking forward to listening to and hear it for myself on what they say about it is true. Also I bought it is due to its pairs of tips and I love the tips since I have experienced it for myself and want more of it for my other IEMs I have.

Cannot wait for the Moondrop Chus to arrive, and I hope I can be impressed for its given price range, to see how Moondrop did things to it.

3 Likes

No brainer purchase. Mine arriving on tuesday (tomorrow is a national holiday). If itā€™s that good, i might just buy more to gift around. Insane price to sound ratio. Will be nice to check it vs the CRA has king and queen of ultra budget.

3 Likes

Yeah the CRA could be a nice complement since it is bassier than the Chu according to the graphs

1 Like

Exactly. 35 usd + Apple dongle + UAPP to eq the cra and you have everything covered for 50 buckeronies. Insane era for the hobby

6 Likes

I didnā€™t want to order any more IEMs, even budget IEMs (or especially budget IEMs, because I already have more than I can use)ā€¦ but also got weak and ordered the Moondrop Chu. 2 months delivery time though, so I will just completely forget about them and get a nice surprise in my post box in a few months.

I donā€™t expect to like the Chu, but a) want to try spring tips and b) I currently donā€™t have anything super Harman sounding, so it may be useful as a refernce (still regret sometimes selling the Blessing 2, despite not liking it).

I may buy one set of Chu at one time, to get the right size of spring tips and to replace my deceased aria at low cost.

2 Likes

For me, the M-size Spring Fits just fits me right and at first sure itā€™s kind of weird that you feel youā€™re not getting a lot seal but after getting used to it, it does seal my ears well making me feel as if I am not wearing any IEMs at all in my ears.

Itā€™s probably their best ear tips so far, compared to the previous stock tips back then which is a major jump from that. It kind of sucks when your go to usual size does not fit you well, while for the others it does. I think the only downside that I have for it would be it gets slippery in your ear after a long time of use, for there are times my IEMs just fall from ears after waking up for usally it wasnā€™t the case when I first used it with my Katos.

Well whadda we have here?? :eyes::eyes::eyes:

2 Likes

Muahahahah :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Single DD and planar launch schedule be like

1 Like

Dunu has been having some troubles keeping up the production levels due to covid restrictions in their city. This was supposed to be released a month ago. Vulkan should be out as well.

Oh well, it is what it is!

Needless to say I bugged them about it since I found it out :joy:

1 Like

Has anyone heard of W+G T2?

Itā€™s not the first time Iā€™ve been interested in that company based on specs and design - I havenā€™t had a look into them lately, but never found any reliable reviews originally. At a glance the ā€œHumka Hamletā€ also has a pretty cool design vibe. So many random headsets that are just too risky to try for $200ish.

Iā€™m going to leave some quick ā€œvibeā€ based comments hereā€¦ broad slightly surreal strokes that are at least true for me as of this moment, but I donā€™t know if I can stand by them or verbalize them better moving forward:

• The Canon hums, the Serial breathes
  • With the Canon I am amazed by the headphones, with the Serial I am amazed by the music
  • With the Canon I think ā€œthis are absolutely incredible IEMsā€, with the Serial I think ā€œthese are absolutely incredible speakersā€.

I donā€™t know how well I can embellish those, and if it comes over as ā€œCanon bad, Serial goodā€, then Iā€™m sorry itā€™s coming over wrong. Both fantastic experiences. But not the same experience. The Serial seems more natural and true to me, which allows me to enjoy the music more ā€“ even if the Canon can pull an extra trick or two.

Ayayay. Iā€™ll see if I can convert any of these feelings to more useful/rational descriptions with time.

Listening time is so limited right now, and if I have a full work day between listening to one and then the other, my ability to make objective comparisons is mostly lost. Something closer to an A/B comparison isnā€™t something Iā€™m able to make the time for right now.

EDIT: Imaging and separation are really something else on the Canon. For the record this is the very first time I have been able to honestly use the description ā€œholographicā€. Sounds are hanging in different spaces/locations around me more than the usual ā€œL/R at x depthā€

EDIT2: I guess with all the switch rolling, itā€™s only just got to the point that I dare start tip-rolling. The stock tips for the Aladdin were the very best out of many I tried, so I imagined I was probably already getting the best out of the Aladdin. But I can actually seem some pleasing small tweaks coming out of this. Right now some absolutely tiny but wide-ish bore tips in some plain black silicone are my first deviation from stock. Great deep insertion, great timbre. 000 setting (did spend a few hours with 010 today which was very good).

6 Likes

For sure. I had the opportunity to try both the Z1R and U12T, and I would say tech wise theyā€™re as good as it gets. If their tuning fits your preference then it is endgame, but for me, Iā€™m more of an Tea/EJ07 type of guy :wink:

4 Likes