IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Im loving it and the interconnect is not heavy at all! Very pleased with my choice

Regarding the Truthear Hexa i got in the other day. Grabbed this mostly just to see the current state of chifi. I prefer all other forms of listening over IEMs if im being hinest, but like to keep some iems around for their convenience factor and noise isolation, hence why I typically stay on the budget side with iems.

I saw the graph of these and they caught my attention because it appeared to be a much more neutral set than the typical chifi v shape or Harman-like signature. Gave them a good listen today while cleaning the house, off a earstudio es100, and foam tips. Fit is very good, didn’t have to adjust them in my ear once while moving about cleaning. Pretty small overall shell. Sound wise, I’d call these very well balanced, never harsh, mid focused with a very little bit of bass boost, solid extension in the bass, treble is polite but not dark, mids are well placed, not too far back or forward. Decent imaging, can’t comment on stage yet, feel like that one thing I need to listen more critically to comment on.

Overall pretty impressed with these for the price. I do feel like these are better overall than others I’ve heard in the price range some years ago. Nothing mind blowingly amazing, but a very solid performer for $80 imo. Ill be adding this to my long term modest collection of 2 others. Many IEMs have come and gone for me, but as of right now i consider this one a keeper.

7 Likes

Anyone ever have a pair of IEM that the fit was not great too big … And after a while becomes super comfy? This happened to me wondering if my ears stretched LOL!

Your ear canals can definitely adjust their size. If you want to see/feel for youself put some foam tips that are a size larger than you normally would use on an IEM with shallow insertion, use the tip of your pinky finger to give yourself an idea of how big the opening to your ear canal is normally, then compress the tips, insert them in your ear, and wear them for an extended period. An hour is a hood place to start.

When the time is up, remove the IEMs and “measure” your ear canal’s opening with your pinky finger. With mine it’s pretty obviously larger after wearing the IEM. You can do it with deeper insertion IEMs too, but it’s more difficult to get a finger in far enough to get some idea of what, if any, changes may have occurred.

Obviously this doesn’t prove longer term changes over a longer period of time, but it’s well known that consistently wearing anything that applies pressure can deform the body. Just look at corsets, wedding rings, ballet shoes, foot bindings, plugs or larger piercings, those rings used by several cultures to stretch their necks, etc. All that to say, your ear changing to accommodate an IEM by wearing that IEM enough or just by wearing others frequently seems absolutely possible to me.

3 Likes

Makes sense thanks , super happy that the SE12 feels right in my ear now for me it is my End Game I can’t see a another IEM doing what this one does for me.

1 Like

Alrighty folks, I need a recommendation: I am searching for a good TWS IEM with ANC under 150 USD. Can be used too. Any suggestions? Tried Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro after seeing some good reviews and they are sibilant, way too V shaped, grainy crackling sound when ANC is on, and the touch controls are finicky. Would like better sound performance so that I don’t go from listening to beautiful Olina & excellent earbuds to muddy or sibilant rubbish.

Considering:

• Edifier Neobuds Pro
  • SoundPEATS Life

Not considering:

• Sony WF-1000XM series

Cheers!

HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro 2 can be found around 150 western coin (USD, EUR, GBP) - My personal favorite.

I ordered the Oppo Enco X2 for 119€ - reviews are all good, co-created with Dynaudio is promising, similar tech as the Freebuds:

I can first comment on the sound around middle of December.

6 Likes

^^^You can hardly listen to music on this!
Most TWS are rubbish, except for PodsPro 1 and 2.They are Olina in the wireless connection. Save a little more and get PodsPro. Otherwise Huawei Pro2. :wink:

2 Likes

How is Huawei compared to $100-200 IEMs? like Olina, S12, Kato etc.
Also how’s the latency? some buds (the ones without gaming mode) have noticeable delay when connected to my TV. does it have gaming mode and is it effective?
(I like natural midrange, good imaging and soundstage… something like Olina)

Yeah my Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro has some lag when watching movies :frowning:

1 Like

They’re fine when connected to phone. because the phone basically delays the image and make it synced with audio. But it’s not like that on TV … unless the buds have gaming mode.
It can be synced in some players like Pot Player … but it’s annoying and doesn’t work on YouTube for example :grinning:

Not a bad price now…

2 Likes

@tgx himself recommends these silicon rings under the foam:

I’ve tried it and it works like magic

EDIT: just saw he mailed you some, he did the same for me, such a great chap!!

7 Likes

That UNDER the foam? Is it supposed to keep the foam in place? Very interesting

wow, thats interesting for sure.

Looks like thats one of the round planars, similar to the type used in some of the Tin Hifi planars.

OPPO´s previous planar experience:

(Headphones)

2 Likes

Latency is crap on these, they don’t support aptx LL only LDAC/AAC/SBC.
As I wrote a few weeks back I’d happily buy these as a wired DSP version for >$100. That brings me to Moondrop.
I think and hope Moondrop is up to something bigger with their Quarks+DSP release. They have the opportunity to claim a whole new market segment: Wired IEMs with built in DSPs.
This enables them to design frequency responses as they wish without fidgeting too much with IEM shell, nozzle and filter design. And it would be big for us customers, more variety from a single product. And if they create a nifty app we can share custom made eq/DSP profiles.

2 Likes

Nice, I can’t wait to get the Encos in my hands and ears.

1 Like

How much did you pay for it? Noticed its on sale on amazon here in sweden for 132 usd…

€119 Black Friday deal on Amazon.de and DE delivery address.

1 Like

1 Like