IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I find the Serial and Up very close. The Up may be bassier then I am familiar with, turned out after the fact that one side was missing several dab of sub bass. I really liked it.

1 Like

Perfect thanks I had the Globes but it was too dark for me.

It’s the burn-in effect :fire:

6 Likes

I don’t have a 711, but I feel that my IE600 has become more brutal sub-bass after two days of use (listening for about 6 hours)! :blush:

4 Likes

Not to be an ass but we can’t rule out the first measurement being user error. Furthermore, we can’t say burn-in took hours or even minutes unless you measured at multiple points between 0s and 4hrs.

Sorry, it’s just incredibly unscientific and should be ignored unless replicated…

5 Likes

I was finally able to start writing reviews again after being taken out of action by a cold. My Dunu Kima review is up in my HiFiGuides thread.

2 Likes

Of course do and believe what you think is right. I never claimed to be scientist. I’m just a dude posting his finding on the internet.

6 Likes

Khan vs Zero :eyes:

5 Likes

Panda :panda_face: update and further thoughts done from a sober state of mind. I’ve got around another six hours since my encounter with her that nearly ended my life.

I’m going to start straight to the point and simple. Panda is hands down, can’t touch it by mile, best all a-rounder set I’ve heard to date.

As @GooberBM I’m a hit shuffle kind of guy. My currently library consist of nearly 8k songs. It spans nearly every imaginable genre and decade from the 30’s to current. This is the best IEM to date that hits my preference to date that literally can hit everything I shuffle through and be satisfied with it.

The Panda is the gentle touch to the planar IEM world. She ain’t coming in fierce like a black bear hot or your tale and ready for meal. Neither is it sniffing out blood trails from a mile away like a hungry female Polar Bear with cubs. Its simply just saying I’m cute, not hungry and I’m scarred of a sneeze :sneezing_face:. Its open to everything and it won’t be eager to eat you and will baby everything with a tad touch of love. Well except for the first night when we went a bit overboard on honeymoon and alcohol.

I was surprised to see Timmy listed them Boring AF. I personally feel it hits them a bit to hard without actually acknowledge a single strength. Which for me is a huge one. She does it all! You’re not pulling out super details from a song yet, they’re still there. She’s not fatiguing or to energetic onmetal guitars or in your brain on cymbal strikes. She’s got punch, slams enough for everything, has great speed, easy smooth treble and glorious mids.

Will she win the number 1 over my UP and Meteor. Probably not because as Timmy said shes boring AF. You just have to look at it from a different angle as to why. Because shes just there doing everything and won’t bring any particular genre or area of the FR any spotlight. Damn it though will she love every bit of your shuffled all over the place playlist with just the right amount of caressing to keep you engaged.

14 Likes

I could NOT agree with this more. I think when Timmy calls Panda “boring” it’s from that Treblehead “I want sparkly details” perspective. In that way, yeah, they’re boring. But as you get: Panda just plays every single thing you throw at it, well.

It doesn’t have quite the sauce in it’s midrange, the way the Dark Magician does, but they’re doppelgängers. If you have never experienced the DMs and want to get an idea of what they do, for $80-100. P1 Max is your IEM.

She’s more than meets the eye, and smarter than the average bear!

1 Like

Man, now I really wanna try the Panda. Based on your description of them I think the Panda’s will be amazing at higher volumes. I didn’t vibe with the Timeless and S12 so I’ve been avoiding planars, but now you got my attention :eyes:

Having tried the OG Wu, HeyDay, and Panda, what would the main differences be between them? The main issue I had with planars was uneven/sharp treble, and a flat staging.

4 Likes

I wanna see more sets with tuning like DM/P1 Max!

A meaty mid-centric sound with calm and gentle contouring of notes. A pitch black background with note texture drawing your attention first.

Lot of sets sound like the vocalist is over-articulating, producing an image in your mind of wet lips and tongue smacking together excessively.

4 Likes

Now that you mention it, I just took a look at the graph and compared it to the DM… this is getting even more tempting now :eyes: Panda’s are added onto the list!

Sidenote, the case that came with the Truthear Hola is magnetic. Slams nice and tight with good impact (feels like I’m reviewing the bass or something hahaha), but it’s more of a two-hander to open it tho. Impressions soon!
gif

4 Likes

I thought that was an “empty wallet” gif :laughing:

7 Likes

Will be soon at this rate LOL

2 Likes

Got $60 and a small amount of EQ?

And that set is very good, in stock form too…

2 Likes

I’ve tried the Timeless, Z12 and HeyDay. HeyDay was the first that I could have compromised myself into liking. It’s why my for me it still gets a shout out in the planar round up. Timeless and Z12 were pretty much an instant no go for me as they were to fatiguing. I can say for sure, from my perspective at least, that the Panda in no way fatigues me and is high volume approved. I mean we jammed together for 6 hours straight. A few songs got cranked up in that time.

Staging I’m going to lightly say is holographic as I don’t feel I’m the best judge of this. I get a sense of the vocalist being more center and the band around them. If anything I hear it to be more oval with cal singer ever so slightly forward. Not the widest though in either direction. Best image I could find that sums what I hear up is below.

6 Likes

Stop with the impressions damn it.

Your going to make me buy it and I am saving for the serial or something dark like it!

4 Likes

I’m the one that talked him into the Panda so I vouch for it:

If you don’t have your flavor of planar yet, and have tried any of the others, the Panda is wonderful.

5 Likes

Thanks for the brief comparison. Looks promising. Do you think it sounds similar to the DM? Others who heard both can chime in too since I recall Mag saying he couldn’t get the right fit. I’m assuming the staging on the DM is bigger?

Graph of Hola (yellow) vs Zero (blue) and Hexa (pink):

Will graph the rest (wan’er/DSP/Khan) once I get them back :slight_smile:

And since we’re talking about DM, here’s how the Hola (yellow) is vs DM (orange)

1 Like