IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Sennheiser IE200 100%

3 Likes

IE 200 or P1 Max, I have not heard the former IEM but most reviews seem positive and judging by the graphs, they aren’t as bright as the Aria Snow.

I think a proper upgrade would probably be the Hook-X but it is a bit more expensive.

HeyDay, or P1 Max. I’d avoid the IE200 it’s not that good unless you tape mod it, and even then the mids and vocals are still recessed. Also lots of treble on the IE200, so ya.

That wasn’t my take vocals are great ( With the right tips) tape mod takes 1 min and the bass is fast and clean with dynamics.

Needs power
Probably - No definitely a better cable $20

If you put in the effort it’s a great IEM
Not everyone is willing to go the extra so might not be for everyone but definitely relaxed trebble but not missing unless you are a super technical chops person.
TDM

vocals are great, relaxed treble

Are we listening to the same IEM here :joy: A simple A/B test to the Quarks DSP/Variations shows you that the mids/vocals are congested and recessed; you can try this with auto EQ to get a feel of it. Treble has smooth dynamics, but it’s in no way “relaxed” - it’s very extended and forward. Timmy (Gizaudio), Chris (HBB), and all the reviewers I’ve watched (and myself included) all had the same thoughts :man_shrugging:

This is why reviews are called subjective and not everyone hears the same thing the same way.

Mindful thought of the day.
TDM

4 Likes

Crazy that the ie200 seems to be the most polarizing iem in a while. People either love if or hate it. And Ive seen Timmy video on the potential reason it but that cant be the only thing… its strange.

1 Like

Your right about that it’s a polarizing love / hate thing with the Senny’s.

After a few days not listening to the IE200 my first impressions have altered a bit in a good way.

After listening to mine again yesterday when I did my Cadenza’s second video, I was in amore analytical mood.

The IE200 has bass it goes low but the quantity is 1/2 of the Kiwi Ears Cadenza and OH10 It’s also faster and has more snap. You can tell it a smaller driver that can’t move a ton of air but that’s why it does have some treble details also because of that.

The highs definitely have way more extension and yes I would be not use the words laid back highs to describe the IE200 after more comparison.

Funny things about listening impressions it also changes on your mood.

I also think you have to be willing to experiment on the IE200 and put in some time - worth it again for me even knowing all the quirks.

I just enjoy it for what it is. And don’t regret spend a few hundred dollars on it.
Cheers T.D.M.

3 Likes

After a week with P1 Max w/ stock eartips I got a “listener’s fatigue” probably because of the sharp treble.

Surprisingly I don’t get fatigued on a U shaped Symphonium Meteor. Used Final E eartips on my P1 Max, seems like it helped a bit.

That goes for their HP’s too.

3 Likes

Part of this “hate” towards Senn is also due to the fact that some YouTubers started to instill the opinion that the 200 is the 600, only that it costs less! :upside_down_face:
Learn the lesson—> you get what you pay for! :woozy_face: :eyes:

2 Likes

100% After hearing the 200 makes me curious on the $600 but not enough to say I gotta get more.

1 Like

Today our appartment was struck by a tiny Meteor, but don’t worry, nobody got hurt :grin:

Let the battle begin :boxing_glove::volcano: vs :comet::boxing_glove:

17 Likes

Howdy neighbour

8 Likes

Hehe nice, did you already write you impression somewhere?
Curious to what conclusion you came.

Here are my initial impressions (Please note that I have a retuned Kinda Lava with +3db bass)
Testing was done on Fiio K7 and Shanling M6 Pro

Kinda Lava was my first love but I try to be as unbiased as possible.

Subbass more or less the same, Midbass slam noticeably more on Meteor.
Bass texture better on KL.

Female Vocals I do like better on Kinda Lava, they sound more lively/airy/goosebumbtriggering on KL and when directly compared a little muffled on Meteor.
I guess that´s the increased midbass affecting the lower mids.
Female vocals range from 165-1000Hz. Midbass from 60-300Hz.

Mids are about the same (except for upper mids)

KL is a little more in your face which can sometimes lead me to decrease the volume.
Meteor is safer in the upper mids, more relaxed, but that to me, makes it also less special, it just sounds very safe to me and less energetic, I can crank it up way louder though and don´t find myself adjusting the volume that often on shuffle.
Quality of mastering becomes more apparant on KL.

Treble to me sounds more airy/crisp on Kinda Lava and I do prefer that.
(Easily noticeable in Fearless Flyers “The Speedwalker live at Madison Square Garden”)

Technicalities I can not really tell a difference and don´t want to talk out of my ass.
Both are excellent performers but as I mentioned before KL has that secret sauce which I am missing on Meteor and I think that comes down to the tuning of upper mids/treble and not so much to technicalities.

All in all the Meteor is a safer tuning for the masses.
I do like the increased midbass on the Meteor but not to the cost of less lively female vocals.
I like the inoffensive upper mids on meteor but also not to the cost of less energy/presence so I guess it´s a give and take.

If I would have to decide between these two I would choose Kinda Lava again, it is just more special and I can easily add just a little more bass if I feel like it.

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

18 Likes

We actually have the same KL + 3dB bass boost :love_you_gesture:

I also have the same views, I like Meteor’s midbass slam, it gives a good physicality.

Lava’s vocal feels more textured, intimate and slightly more forward. Lava seems to have better upper mids imo, much detailed. I feel like Lava seems to have a little more note weight.

I think Meteor’s timbre feels a little plasticky/metallic? Probably due to the BA timbre. Song like Stargazing - Travis Scott around 00:10-00:15, if you notice the slam I feel like KL’s slam is more pleasant while Meteor felt a bit plasticky.

My first few minutes with Meteor I felt the sharpness in male vocal’s ‘sss’.

Soundstage feels more intimate with KL, while Meteor I feel like it’s wider.

This, I wholly agree. I feel like it’s a safe U tuning. I actually started to appreciate my KL’s vocal and bass sound texture even more, but I will take Meteor’s fit anytime.

If only I can have Meteor’s fit, mid-bass slam, soundstage and KL’s bass and vocal texture, dream come true :volcano::comet:

6 Likes

Great write up, man :+1: enjoy them two red heads.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot brother :slight_smile:

@domq422 Oooo! I’m not even a car guy, but Oooo! :ok_hand:

I agree on texture and added it in my post aswell!
Stage wise i really can not tell a difference, do you have an example for me where it does sound wider to you?

I did listen to this imaging test here The Ultimate Headphones Test Video! - YouTube

2 Likes