IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

this is real asf, you are always justifying to yourself the next big upgrade or purchase, and then when that tech comes it’s just enjoyable, but its almost like the feeling of the prospect of buying something and what it can give you, is greater than the enjoyment itself. im only down an S12 and olina rn, but its comments like these, or reviews comparing higher end IEMs to lower end IEM"s, where you’re just like “stop and take a step back on why you’re truly buying the tech.” not only IEM’s but sources, and cables too? like apple dongle vs some other dongle 20x its price promising smoother sound. or some copper cable that’ll fix any gripes with an iem. not saying the differences aren’t there since I haven’t heard them, but hundred’s of dollars more for marginal differences. I’d rather just buy a new IEM at that point. when in reality post purchase rationalization, novelty, and placebo are fat variables to consider. think its safe to say I have gotten the detail I was looking for, probably my time to head out before I convince myself I need to pay substantially more for less and less.
valid thoughts man

3 Likes

Ah yes, I am seeing a lot on your list that the Airships is almost in all aspects of sounds when it comes to comparisons and I do agree with your assesment for it, for the Airships for me have been consistently doing me well both in tuning and technical aspects.

2 Likes

How does 1 DD compare to hybrids & tribrids?

I’m looking for a higher-budget IEM, and I am interested in Sennheiser IE600 / Yanyin Moonlight. Moonlight is close to Mangird Tea 2 (<3), so it’s a safe bet for me. However, I also see that Sennheiser IE600 has favorable reviews & I already enjoy their headphones. But it comes with only 1 DD?

How exactly does this work? It seemed like the more expensive the IEM, the more drivers it seemed to have. Anyone have a explainitlikeimfive reply? Thanks!

All I’m gonna say is don’t judge an IEM by the amount of drivers. It’s not a wise thing to do. It all depends on the product at hand and how it sounds. Can’t say I’ve heard those particular IEMs.

4 Likes

The average dynamic driver a chi-fi IEM company buys in bulk will not be able to compete with tribrid’s, hybrids, or multiple BA’s or DD’s with 3+ drivers when it comes to technicalities. This is because you need at least 3 drivers, 1 for each frequency range (LOW-subwoofer, MID, HIGHS-treble) in order to have great separation and dynamics that compete at the higher levels. The average sub $200 DD are designed to be easier to produce with less intricacies (with Olina/Airship being an exception), which is why you often see many companies with their own custom-DDs in their hybrids or tribirds, or use more expensive DDs with a hike in cost.

Although custom single drivers from Sennheiser and Sony can close the gap, they will never be able to overtake their multiple driver counterparts of the same quality and tuning/crossover since the work is split up between frequencies, allowing for better technicalities. For example, the IER Z1R has 3 custom drivers from Sony. Transducers also plays a big role in dynamics. The average single DD usually has worse transducers vs tribrids and hybrids, and therefore inferior dynamics. A more expensive DD or custom made one will have great transducers, but that can only carry it so far.

My guess is that the IE600’s “detail” seems to come more from its increased uppermids/treble tuning than separation/drivers, but maybe @nymz can give you more info on that. It would be interesting to see how the IE600 does detail wise if its treble is EQ down:

The question is then: How much are you willing to pay for the increase in diminishing returns? To me, there is really only a ~30% max increase in technicalities with the U12T (12 BA) vs the Olina (1DD), which mind you, costs x20 more. However, you do get much better transitions (dynamics) from frequencies, and no sudden contrast in volume in mid vs treble areas.

Comparing my Olina and TEA, they have similar amount of details (due to tuning), but the TEA does a better job when it comes to separation and imaging due to its 6 additional drivers. My guess would be that the IE600 and Moonlight will have similar amounts of detail just like Olina vs Tea (again due to the treble tuning). The Moonlight seems very close to TEA 2 tuning wise and fits your preference, whereas the IE600 is more V-shaped. Not sure if @nymz still has his set still, but if he does maybe he can give some thoughts on it after he gets Mahina.

Edit: As @Rikudou_Goku pointed out, the majority of DDs will have better timbre overall, but the differences do level off as you get to the higher end stuff like the SA6, S8, U12T etc.

3 Likes

Also remember that DDs have the timbre advantage over hybrids/multi driver setups.

7 Likes

Thank you all for such a helpful and in-depth response!

I agree that I’ll most likely enjoy the Moonlight. From the Mangird Tea 2, I’m looking for a wider soundstage & more bass (probably should get the Mahina). I may like the IE600 as well as long as the treble isn’t too sharp. U-shaped IEMs are definitely more fun, as long as it doesn’t make my ears bleed hahah

1 Like

Reviews say the IE600 has “exciting” treble. Do what you will with that info haha

1 Like

Uh oh, yeah that might be troublesome. Even with different earbuds, I find most of the Moondrop IEMs to be uncomfortably “exciting”… I will def. do more research besides YouTube videos hahah

2 Likes

Look at Penon Volt if you are worried about treble brightness, and want more bass

2 Likes

Kinera would release in couple days <100$ planar + BA hybrid. Oh what a world we live in

4 Likes

Moondrop, Dunu, Kinera. Everyone is jumping on the Planar game lol.

3 Likes

I mean the resolution is there for sure. My S12 is really solid and not something i want to give up in the collection. Id be interested to see a Planar and est only hybrid as that will probably be insane. The issue is bulk since the conversion electronics take up some space in the housing so may be impractical.

2 Likes

What a time we live in. Now we wait for the graph…

now i have no idea what to buy in the 150-200 range because… now everyone has a planar and who knows what would be the best option because i seem to like what many would call a V but also i dunno what specific graph works to base it on

Ugh, nothing much good to say about the N3 to my ears… at all. Plenty of tip rolling so far. I’ll give some more time, but with mids this veiled, only so much more before they’re on the market again.

Really not getting any BL03 vibes either.

So for tonight, Teas.

Edit: Different impression following morning, I’ll follow up after more listening. Absurd if swapping to Apple
Dongle from Q5K is what did it. Stock tips. I’m still not crazy about them, but mids are back.

5 Likes

Moondrop not only having planar IEMs, but Planar headphones as well. I am keeping expectations in check and I still remain low at expectations on Moondrop when it comes to their QCs. Or, if they can at least release their new stuff with lesser QC issues, then that would be an improvement from them, but for now I have to put them on hold.

2 Likes

By now you’re used to my first impressions changing a good deal with further listening, tip rolling, etc.

So let’s see how this one changes.

Moonlight with the tips already on them (KZ starline shape) through an Apple dongle:

Absolutely any music sounds as full and as awesome as it could. I’m not sure I’d even mess with the bass, and you’ve seen how much sub and mid bass need to be sufficiently punchy and elevated for be.

It becomes the IEM any track needs, I don’t know how they did this. Love at first listen. I had expectations low that as an all rounder it might be quite dull, definitely not so.

7 Likes

very interesting! Would love to hear how they compare to the Vortex/Serial and also if you notice drastic changes on the Q5K (which is what I have).

Im super happy with my Vortex right now but the Moonlight and Mahina have been really intriguing me

1 Like

Very curious to the Moonlights stack up against TEA and Serial. Let us know!