IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:
How is the fit for you with the Szalayi?
If Oriolus would change the formfactor i am sure they would sell more units, i was reading quite often about fit issues.
Apart from fit Szalayi for me is a 120% recommendation at that pricepoint

1 Like

Thanks! :wink:
Good point, somehow Bravado MKII did not make it on my shortlist even though i was interested in the begining
The two peaks seem a little intimidating though and I really dont know if i can take any more Bass :smiley:
Also i donĀ“t know if I want a less technical set, which i think Bravado MKII must be, as I am looking for an ultimate fun endgame

I owned the Legend Evo for a bit and it just didnā€™t click with me. Sold it fairly quickly. The bass on it was always full tilt and it ruined a lot of songs. Like it put bass in places it didnā€™t belong. While I know one would thing by the graph itā€™s supposed to be that way, the Maestro Mini graphs fairly close in the bass and doesnā€™t do such a think. The MM kept it under control and presented it only when it felt necessary. Glad it kind of worked out that way and was able to recoup some cash.

3 Likes

You tried the Skullcandy Evo Crushers? Probably be familiar in that regard. :wink:
(BC driver)

I was reading your comments on all the Evo reviews on youtube and I was wondering if you tried it yet.
Now i know :grin: thanks for letting us know!
Evo clicked with me immediately when i demoed it twice but there is still some minor worries that it could unclick for some songs/genres when listening to it for longer.
Did you buy it new and how much playtime did it get before you resold it?

I bought it new and didnā€™t burn it in. Probably had around 20 hours use. Iā€™ve yet to hear an IEM that my perception of changed after many hours of use, driver burnin or brain burnin to whatever extend you believe. These days I usually give an IEM long enough time to tip roll with it and give my brain/ears time to adjust to the tuning. Thatā€™s usually an hours tops if the tuning hits a spot that is almost there. Havenā€™t found an IEM to date, well the Mest MKII after I got a good seal, that tips changed me from disliking to liking the tuning. Then on the other hand with something like the Legend Evo it was probably in like the first 30 minutes I wrote it off. I only went longer because I was newer to the hobby and also because of its cost. My thoughts never changed on it though. Maybe more burnin would have changed things but, Iā€™m also not dropping that kind of money if it needs that much physical burnin or brain to make me like it. MM hit the spot out of the box with moderate tip rolling and worked better as a good balanced, and well controlled audiophile bass cannon.

Edit: I now fall in the ball park of just straight calling the Legend Evo, ASG 2.5 and EX800ST Tape Mod straight bass cannons. The Mest MKII, MM, UP and Meteor represent for me what would better reserved to be called audiophile level bass cannons. However, totally understand and would never argue that to each their own.

5 Likes

Unfortunately I was unaware of it.

I havenā€™t and probably safe to say it wouldnā€™t be something Iā€™d enjoy.

based on the graph Legato looks like too much bass for my taste, QKZ x HBB is almost too much for me, so unless it sounds different from how it graphs Iā€™ll have to reluctantly pass.

1 Like

Today was the first day I got to listen to music in a week and man the IE600 is just perfection! For an EDC I honestly canā€™t ask for anything more.

8 Likes

They actually fit me quite well. The shells are a bit thick/chunky, but the nozzle angle and the right tips (for me my favorite foam tips work perfectly) seem to do a good job creating a nice stable fit and seal.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve found even a few days away from a good IEM makes it sound beyond amazing. Itā€™s a shame how quickly we can get used to greatness.

6 Likes

True that, not only when it comes to sound quality, we also tend to forget what miraculous creatures we are flying on a planet through our galaxy :star_struck::milky_way:

1 Like

It is not strictly IEM related, but generally audio related. I think it is really cool video, super fun girl and a lot of amazing songs to check

8 Likes

I like how some people just donā€™t care and AirPods are their thing. Gives a small corner to live in. Sort of something of our own. Itā€™s totally understandable that some people, probably a lot, just arenā€™t as interested in auditory, for me even throw in scent and visual, stimulation to the level we are.

Iā€™m bonkers for all three. I bought a high end TV and absolutely went nuts when I watched Dolby Vison BluRay the first time. My wife still just goes meh and every time to this day Iā€™m flabbergasted on some movies. She also has zero interest in my IEMs and thinks its cute how excited I get on songs and rave on about the details and differences.

Itā€™s the same when weā€™re out in nature or eating a nice dish of food and Iā€™m taking it in. The colors, how the smell changes my perception of things and how colors invoke feelings. Hell even goes into my obsession with craft beer, coffee and cologne/perfume. All the way to me editing photos. The feelings I get are how I imagine someone being on drugs feels and why the crave more.

17 Likes

Brain burn in is real. If you havenā€™t experienced anything ā€œbetterā€ or more to your liking, peopleā€™s hearing adapts and it becomes normalized to the sound. Danā€™s Audio Reviews shows this if you extensively hear a ā€œworseā€ IEM first, then go to a better one, the change is very pleasing, even if the first pair seemed decent. Going opposite, from great to worse, suddenly the pair that at first seemed decent, seem much worse.

I remember having a pair of iphone earphones, which I thought were pretty ok at the time. Sure, not as good as my headphones, but I canā€™t stand headphones long term and they were good enough.
When I tried my first pair of IEMs, being the Truthear Zeros, I felt blessed. Clearly, that lead me down another rabbit hole of a money sink, but oh man, did it revitalize my love for music again!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve almost exclusively been using my ej07ms for listening as of late. They just have that ā€œpopā€ for me. Last night I was listening to a song and had a thought about how it normally sounded ā€œbiggerā€ and ā€œwider.ā€ I decided to throw on my pair of harmonicdyne zeus that Iā€™ve been avoiding wearing because the pads leach dye to everything they touch, my face included. I had completely forgotten how good they are. The space that I remembered was back and the impact of a large driver was just crazy having been listening to iems for such an extended period of time.

6 Likes

Whatā€™s your favourite fragrance?

Well folks, it looks like it will be here by Friday! Iā€™ll carve out some time this weekend to listen and hopefully have some impressions early next week

5 Likes

Eau de Audio :man_shrugging:

7 Likes
6 Likes