Iem upgrade / suggestion

Hello, I currently have the xenns tea, and find the treble a bit sharp at times (I love everything else about them). I used it on apple dongle and btr5 (will upgrade soon to asgard 3). And i was wondering if there are any other iems that might be better or complimentary. I have a wide variety of music including techno, rap, pop, r&b and rock. I am mainly trying to see if i can find an iem that is less sharp in the treble but also better then the tea. I have tried 2 other iems ie600( harsh treble, hurts), inear sd-5 ( nice but too much bass).

My options as far as research could lead me are:

• penon serial
  • ej07m
  • hook x

Heard good and bad things about each of these iems, so im very confused as to what i should persue.
Thanks

1 Like

07m :slightly_smiling_face:
10 char

1 Like

Ej07m / Mahina

Those are the darkest around that price. Your library is close to HBB so mahina fits the bill, but you can ask him directly.

1 Like

If you want to follow up on EJ07M there’s been a pair on head-fi classifieds for $360 lately.

1 Like

10 char? I am not aware what that is.
Oh you ment the minimum 10 characters. Haha
My bad:)

I forgot to also mention the dunu vulkan. How does that stack up with the rest?

Dunu, my sample never got to my hands :person_shrugging:

EJ07M is darker.

1 Like

Thanks you guys!

Another one you might want to take a look at is the Final Audio E5000. Darkest set I heard.

Wow they look very dark from the fr graph. Might be too much bass, but good to have the option. Thanks.

1 Like

I would go for EJ07m too - any chance to trial it?

If you reach out to them on Discord might be possible to arrange a loan set from what I heard, depending where you are (don’t talk about customs! And our stupid Brexit making things so difficult in the U.K.)

Don’t laugh, but read carefully what I’m writing - take the EJ 07m, but with resin! You’ll thank me later :wink:

1 Like

Really? Well Netherlands.

He speaks the truth.

1 Like

What does the resin do to the sound specifically?

Improve it, apparently lol

Also I think it improves fit

Can’t speak to the first two sets.
The Hook-X, however, is my current daily driver. I went to CanJam SoCal, heard many sets, and was impressed with how well the Hook-X held its own.

It’s got a mild v signature. Excellent natural tonality. Vocals are excellent. Present and impactful bass with treble detail and sparkle. Guitar plucks and transients are great. No harshness up high.

One knock on it is that I had to tip roll to overcome the short nozzle which doesn’t work well for my ears. I would also say it’s not the best set for instrument separation with busy tracks.

However, it’s so good at other things and different genres that it’s my favorite set. The Azla Sedna EarFit Light tips solved fit issues for me.

Hook-X scales well with power and prefers a cleaner source, not a warmer source.

Some people get resonance issues due to the very short nozzle of EJ07.

The resin shell is supposed to be way better in that regard as it has a longer nozzle

I had zero issues with the short nozzle of my kinda lava though, depends on your ear anatomy i would say.