IEMs gift for Little Sister

Fellow music enjoyers, I summon you for some assistance!

My little sister’s Sony buds stopped working, so I wanna get her something else, something better. And with Christmas coming soon, it’s a perfect time to do this.

I had her try out my KZ ZS10s, QKZ x HBB and the Penon Vortex. Of the 3, she liked the Vortex the most (shocker I know). Her reasons for liking the Vortex was their comfy fit, clear sound, and great soundstage. She did like the look of the QKZ x HBBs alot, and found them better than the KZs. Overall with IEMs she isn’t the biggest fan of having it loop around the ears, but the Vortex and it’s cable were perfectly fine and comfy for the ears. She also likes how they don’t go in deep. She loved her Sony MDRXB55AP ear buds, which are a more typical V shaped In-Ear. I guess their fit would be a bullet style? This kind of ear bud would probably be the best, since she likes her Sony ones so much, but I know there aren’t as many options for good ones like with IEMs.

Sound Preferences:
In her words, she likes “fun” music. Her music tastes are varied, but some main genres she enjoys are Rap, Pop, EDM, artists like NF and Alan Walker. She usually listens to music while chilling, or for watching YouTube.

Fit Preferences:
As mentioned above, smaller buds with a somewhat shallow fit is what she prefers. Something like the Sony MDRXB55AP fit is fine though.

Other Wanted Features:
If going for wired buds, a mic is a must. She would be using them for school and talking online. I potentially can go for a separate cable with a mic. But depending on the IEM, that could cost a bit too much.
They need to easily run through stuff like a phone or tablet.

Budget:
I would prefer to spend around $100-150, but maybe if I find some extra love deep in my cold, dead heart I can spend up to $200. But they REALLY need to be good and sturdy enough to last a long time.

Current options:
Penon Vortex: Easy choice considering she tried them (for like a minute though) and liked them. They check just about every box in sound and fit. But they are pricey, and don’t have a mic.

Olina SE: My sister loves their turtle design, and they are considered one of the best IEMs at the $100 range. But they’ll definitely be too weak in the bass department, and I feel she’d want something warmer. I’ll let her try them out today though and she what her thoughts are.

Moondrop: Most of Moondrops line up wouldn’t be that bad of an idea. Stuff like the Aria, Kato and Starfield look pretty and sound solid for the price. My main problem is Moondrops not too great QC, and the IEMs paint chipping off.

In Short:
Need a good fitting IEM/Earbuds with a mic that play most genres well. With good clarity, energy and easy to listen to. Their fit needs to be on the smaller/regular size, and not a super deep insertion.

1 Like

The similarities between my wife and your sister are pretty shocking haha my wife also hates how IEMs looped around her ear, and she really values clarity and wide sound stage.

She refused to accept my gift of an IEM last year, but I bought her the Moondrop Quarks because they were so cheap, If she decided to decline the gift, it wouldn’t of hurt the pocket too much. A year later, she still uses them on a daily basis - I’m going to follow this thread as well as bullet style sets are out of my knowledge pool and I’d love to see if someone has any suggestions!

2 Likes

Also, she might just be an earbuds girl. The FAAEAL Iris 2.0 are STUPID good for $10. It has a mic version too. If you’d get her an Olina, get her an Iris and see if that works for her needs. If it does, buy her every color (so she can beat them up and even lose them) and still have money left over.

If you NEED it to be an IEM, the TRN TA1 Max is the IEM she wants. Full-stop. Bullet style, I could sleep in them, bassy and smooth (near dark) signature. It has a mic version. And it’s cute but utilitarian. That’s your winner.

2 Likes

I thought about this - my wife absolutely HATES weird buds, probably more so than IEMs that wrap around the ear :sweat_smile:

I dark signature won’t work either, from my very scientific testing :thinking: she prefers a brighter signature. She really enjoyed the Samson 850, which is lacking in bass, but has a very airy top end - she may just be an over ear girl? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

LOL NOT YOUR WIFE! Vulcanic’s sister. The genres he said fits his sister’s taste play well on TA1 Max, I say from experience.

Don’t make me get Carly Simon on you!

This is Endgame for many of the audiophiles here :grinning:.

1 Like

I used to think I’d only be willing to spend $100 on IEMs, and even then I thought that was too much. Fast forward to now and I have spent like $600 on various IEMs :smiling_face_with_tear:. Why am I like this lol. The Audiophile world is exactly like a drug. Once you try it, you start spending more and more for that rush when you get a new shiny IEM/Headphone and that “endgame” sound.

Yes. We’re all like this. Or as @nymz says: “run far away if you’ve found what you’re looking for”, but I didn’t half-dry it. I have many IEMs and like most here I found that the price does not equal the pleasure of the sound. I’m currently listening to the $250 TWS and can listen to music with them for hours without taking them off, guilty pleasure. And now for the topic - Sony MDR-XB50APR, fun headphones with a microphone. I think she’ll like them. :wink: :fire:

1 Like

Definitely gonna try those (crazy how much value we get nowadays from earbuds). If anything I think I’ll order a few various ones and see which she enjoys the most. Any other interesting choices you’d recommend? The cuter the design, the better lol.

1 Like

I would suggest Moondrop Chu, FAAEAL Iris 2.0, or TRN TA1 Max all with the mic versions, with preference to Iris if you’d want to get her earbuds, or TA1 Max if you want to get her an IEM

1 Like

@Vulcanic I’m assuming you are looking for new? @rattlingblanketwoman is selling a new in box vortex or close to your range and if you are cool with used I’m selling mine for pretty cheap and easy enough to get a mic cable and come in under $150.

Seems like it will be hard to hit all the things she likes about the Vortex for $100-$150 new

2 Likes

Before we spend his money, his sister didn’t say she HAD to have the Vortex, just that of the options Vulcanic gave her she liked that best. She’s not going to be mad if she doesn’t get the bestest set for exactly $150.

#SaveTheWallet
#NoMorePain
#LayOffTheAudioCrack

2 Likes

True, I’m just thinking if there is an item you know would be a winner and you can get it in your price range it seems like a good option. Having said that, I’m sure he can find something cheaper she will like, it’s just more of a risk.

The small size might be hard to find it he is looking for something around the size of the vortex

1 Like

TA1 Max is small, possibly smaller. Would you feel comfortable with the Vortex in your ears, sleeping? Cause TA1 Max is very sleepable.

I would definitely, I would say their size is comparable to the IE600 which is also tiny. Just looked up the TA1 max and it does seem pretty small

1 Like

Sorry the Vortex sold, I’d better update my listing here.

2 Likes

Well congrats!!

Bullet style with her library I would recommend the Intime Sora Light 2019. I may be selling mine… haha :wink:

@Vulcanic I don’t know if you pulled the trigger on anything or not.

After new deliberations, I’d have to add Kiwi Ears Cadenza, in her favorite color. The other recommendations still stand, but also Cadenza…Just yeah!

1 Like

Hehe, jokes on you, I already ordered the Cadenza for myself lol! Also the TA1 Max and Iris are arriving tomorrow.

1 Like