🔷 iFi Hip-DAC

Ok cool would this work :man_shrugging:t2:

Which really is no different than this, except for one thing: The Apple version is MiFi certified and guaranteed to transport data properly and accurately. The Chinese stuff can be hit or miss with compatibility. Caveat emptor.

I already have something like that, I was looking for something with a right angle like the OP had. But thank you.

1 Like

How did you fit that otg cable into the hip dac? I have read that you have to sand it out with a dremel tool but I don’t have a dremel tool.

I used a nail file, you don’t need a Dremel.

1 Like

Wondering what systems all of you jumped to you after owning a hip dac.

What was your strategy/philosophy? What lessons did you learn?

Great question!

1 Like

JDS Labs Atom+ DAC-amp desktop stack.

I realized I wanted the extra power of a proper desktop stack and a cleaner DAC.
I also realized I didn’t need the portability of the hip-dac nearly as much as I imagined when I bought it.

But if I ever am in the market again for a portable DAC-amp, I’ll look to iFi. I think its portable products are excellent.

2 Likes

Nice pickup!!!

Thanks for keeping in mind whenever you want to add something portable/transportable to the collection again.

1 Like

Hello,

I ordered the Ifi Hip Dac 2 for the road.
I had been thinking about Dap, Hip 2 and Gryphon for a long time.
In the end I thought the Gryphon was actually too expensive as long as Apple castrate their Bluetooth to SBC I didn’t see any added value in it.
I still prefer to use Apple devices in my private life.
Since I still have the Nuprime Dac dongle in use, I didn’t think the changeover would be too big.
Even if Bluetooth would have been nice.

I still have a few questions that have not yet been fully clarified.

Charging: 5 V was clear, can I charge it with the normal smartphone charger?

Imatch:
Certainly a matter of taste but what about the Aeon R/T? With or without Imatch?

Apple:
I found the cable included cool for the money.
Thanks Ifi.
Still a bit irritated by the connection but logical for a better hold in the socket.
Why not another direct to Lightning?
If I saw it right I can use the Apple charging cable as an extension if I want to be lazy when connecting it to the Ifi cable?

Cable:
Would better cables make a difference sonically on the Hip2 or can I leave it alone?

I’ll be surprised what I can expect in terms of sound, I’ve never heard Mqa before.
I’m looking forward to the Xbass and the rest.
And how it will do the small Hip Dac 2.
I also found it cool that all Ifi devices have no problems with Apple in terms of connectivity, I wanted to praise that.
I’ve been looking for a long time to find something that is compatible with Android and Apple.

Charging: Yes, you can charge it with a normal smartphone charger. Even if you plug in a higher watt power source, it won’t take more than 5v.

IEMatch: Personal preference. My point of view is that IEMatch is not necessary for most if not all full sized headphones. As always, try it and go with what you think works best.

Apple: Yes, you can use the Apple charging cable.

Cable: No, cable do not much difference at this price point. Don’t worry about cables for now.

Enjoy!

1 Like

I’ve also experienced this issue, not all the time but it comes and goes. Its not loud so its usually drowned out by the music. I have an iPhone 12 mini, I wonder if it has anything to do with the magnets on the back of the phone, the new magsafe.

Second hip dac just died when plugging both data and power cables into my pc. Must lack some kind of protection circuitry.

This is Rad, where did you buy the puck?

has anyone compared the Hip DAC to the Fiio Q3s/Q3 MQA? This new version actually has a bit more power and battery life than the old Q3 and specs seems overall better than the Hip DAC

1 Like

I’m sure someone around these parts would be able to help you out!

I know you asked a while ago, but just trying to respond with some helpful links to inform your question some more:

1 Like

Did you register your original hip-dac or hip-dac2 with us when you bought it and said that we could contacting you about exciting iFi stuff? If so, keep an eye on your email for an exclusive hip-dac2 offer!!

Not sure if this is still relevant now, I also had the clicking / popping noise randomly, for a very long time, and until now had some free time to play around with the firmware. To my surprise, I do not have any clicking / popping noise since I restored the hipdac to v5.3 (not v5.3c). I was on v5.A0 when I heard the noise. Also, I attached a magsafe magnet ring on my hipdac directly, to make it stick with my iPhone whenever I use it, so I don’t think the magnet is the culprit.