šŸ”· iFi Hip-DAC

Hello every fellow Hip-DAC owners.
I have hip DAC currently powering my K371/IEMs from 3.5mm output and I am about to buy balanced 4.4mm cable for one of my IEMs. One potential benefit is that it could be connected to DAC at the same time as K371. There is no switch for output however and I am wondering how would that work.

Would FIFO principle work and the second output connected be blind or both headphones would work at the same time?
Did anyone test that?

Iā€™m not sure why but it was recommended (by iFi I think) not to use both outputs at once (potential damage to gear). I accidentally tried that once for a few seconds and noticed the sound quality goes down a lot so not useful in any way. Just disconnect the K371 when not in use.

1 Like

Damn man, they look really beautiful. From where did you get? can I buy them online? Last time I purchased bulk PopSocket from Amazon. They were custom-designed but I was really disappointed by the product and couldnā€™t even return them. They rejected my order and said we customized items canā€™t be returned back. Although I do not have any bad vibe towards amazon return policy. But the rejection came from the seller. Iā€™m looking for new ones and the one you showed really attracted me. Can you please tell me from where can I buy them?
Thank you in advance.

Took mine on a flight with me to Germany, worked out great.

3 Likes

Glad it was able to keep you company on your travels!

Has anybody ever noticed a faint static noise / clicking sound coming from the hipdac? I recently noticed it playing on my IEMs, thought there was something wrong with my cable but I tried another set of headphones and its still there, just less pronouncedā€¦ Think theres something wrong with the dac

Actually I figured out when it happens: its whenever i place the dac right up against my phone it generates a faint buzz or clicking sound

1 Like

I just discovered what was causing the statiic buzz and clicking noise on my hip dac: if you have a magsafe iphone and place it right up against the hipdac back to back, a subtle static and clicking noise becomes audibleā€¦ I tried switching my hipdac back to my old non magsafe iphone and the noise goes awayā€¦ Not sure what it is, but it seems like something about magsafe is doing something to the signal on the hipdacā€¦ Just in case anybody plans to carry the hipdac on a madsafe iphoneā€¦

Anybody have an iphone 12 or higher also experienced this?

Hi Robo,

Can you please open a ticket with us on this? Weā€™d be able to help you with this more directly here, and having this info on our platform would be great to document.

https://support.ifi-audio.com/

Sure will do, thanks!

This may be blasphemy, but I picked up the XDUOO XA-10 and pitted it against my trusty Hip Dac V1. Apple Music and Tidal were the sources.

Although there was a lot to like about the XA-10, especially its novel industrial design, I preferred the Hip Dac with my Sundara and FH3 and Koss KPH30i. Sent the XA-10 back. The Hip Dacā€™s ā€œforbiddenā€ Xbass button was the tiebreaker. Hip Dac really held its own. And, the XA-10 was a sweet little box, especially with my FH3 IEMs.

After the competition, I noted that Apple Music sounded better to my ears than Tidal, so I ended up canceling Tidal and saving even more dough.

LESSON: Pairing the right amp/dac gear with the right cans does NOT have to be a costly endeavor. Often, though not always, your bias in this golden age of HiFi should be toward less costly gear.

2 Likes

Glad to hear the hip-dac beat out the XA-10! That xBass on the hip-dac is really special, truly one of out best implementations of it.

1 Like

My pleasure to post about it. Engineering hit a home run with the hip dac.

Just got my Topping pa3s. Can I use the hipdac as a preamp?

Listening to it right now on my HiFiman 400i 2020 with x-bass on :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

I really wish they had a cable like that for the iPhoneā€¦

Nice paring there as well.

Itā€™s not really intended for that purpose. Itā€™s more intended to be a standalone dac/amp hence no line out on the back.

DD do one :+1:

1 Like

the Hip-DAC is female USB on the other end.

1 Like

Yep. The Apple Camera Connector is about the only thing that works every time with the hip-dacā€™s connections.

I have an Apple CC for sale, by the way. PM me if interested. :slight_smile: