šŸ”· iFi Hip-DAC

Great review! Thanks for covering our much loved little guy!

I canā€™t unlock MQA quality tracks on my ipad or iphone with this Hip DAC of mine. Does anyone know how to get that magenta lighting on a mobile device?

Update - just tried Tidal with Appleā€™s own USB-A (female) to lightning dongle, and Iā€™m seeing that magenta now on my iPhone! Perhaps the usb-c dongle for my iPad isnā€™t compatible. Will try again later on the iPad.

Are you using Tidal with Hifi subscription for source and do you have 5.3 firmware? On iPad or iPhone with default settings it should handle Master records no problem.

Any luck? Keep us posted and we can diagnose with you if you did not get it fixed yet!

Still no luck with MQA on the iPad, but thatā€™s ok because my Xduoo Link 2 is providing enough power for me to enjoy music when in tablet mode.

Appreciate the follow-up! :slight_smile:

What USB-C dongle are you using with your iPad? Could this be the issue? Do you have any other connector you could try, preferably an Apple one or something that states compatibility with the iPad.

The Lightning to USB connector on previous generations required the Apple camera adapter. I tried connecting the iPad to my Hip DAC with just a cable and it didnā€™t work.

Appleā€™s camera adapter fixed my MQA problem on the iPhone, and Iā€™m sure their usb-c dongle will do the same for my iPad, but Iā€™m not in a hurry to buy another piece of audio equipment. Seriouslyā€¦I have a problem:

1 Like

Dude, thatā€™s a problem? Give it 6 months and get back to us :rofl:

3 Likes

Definitely off to a solid start! But itā€™s not a problem until your significant other starts monitoring the credit card billā€¦ not that mine does that or anythingā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah the camera adapter should make it go with the iPad. I use the digital av adapter for mine

Hi everyone,

Just a quick heads-up if you were not aware, we have a LED calculator live now that you can always refer to if you have any questions on what a specific LED means for your product.

2 Likes

Hello hipsters,

Iā€™m constantly dealing with a drained battery on my Hip-DAC, even when I turn it on after plugging it into my laptop, which I almost always do!

I found an article that claims this device can be powered via its source, so what gives? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

To be clear, my Hip-DAC isnā€™t directly plugged into my laptop - itā€™s connected via a UBS-A dongle. Canā€™t recall having it die while plugged in directlyā€¦so maybe I just answered my own question? :thinking:

Where did you find that article, out of curiosity?

https://support.ifi-audio.com/open.php

Can you open a ticket with us here? Weā€™ll help you out!

1 Like

My current favorite on the go system is the Hip Dac with an ancient pair of Ultimate Ears Super-Fi 3s with xBass on. These old IEMs sound so good with that on. It totally gives new life to these gems.

I have those UEs! Blast from the past.

Will do! Btw, I found that article by googling the following:

ifi hip dac pc power

My first legit IEM. I ran them on a Headroom Airhead amp.

Is there any good way to output from an older music player with 3.5mm jack into a hip dac? I have an older phone that has a headphone jack and would like to use it as a music player

No, the Hip-Dac is limited to USB input and headphone output, unfortunately.

1 Like

Correct, it is USB and headphones only!