iFi Power station

Pretty much, the cheap stuff really didn’t do anything from my experiences. Except perhaps just protecting the equipment to a certain extent

1 Like

I can locally get a PS Audio Stellar P3 for US $2700 (local tax is 25%… :grimacing:).
So I will go on a hunt for a used one.

well, when you have high end equipment, I can understand buying stuff like what’s being discussed. but at the same time, because it’s niche and / or coming from premium brands, it can be / will be overpriced in most cases.

I want to know more about how they’re solutions are different from what other vendors offer for industrial applications and perhaps better or much better prices.

not bad as cables…but we have to always be wary of snake oil.

1 Like

What about an On-Line UPS?
APC or ABB are the brands I would trust for that.

I mean though as polygon notes the ps audio is a regenerator not a conditioner, so not exactly apples to apples, if I was just looking for a conditioner I would have gone with some of the other solutions that are better bang for the buck (like personally I wouldn’t buy the ifi as it’s more a conditioner and as you say you could get more for your money elsewhere)

1 Like

What is that?

Uninteruptible Power Suply. Used in the Server and PC worId.
It’s a battery that you plug into the wall and the computer/server into it.
It’s purpose is that if there are power cuts, you have time to save your work. Also, it works as a overcurrent/undercurrent protection.

Regarding audio, theoretically, a battery should provide the “cleanest” sound, so, I do not understand why people keep buying power conditioners and power plants when a simple UPS could be cheaper and provide the same functionality, or even more.

Are you sure that your phone interference is not due to the radio signal of the phone?

When does the noise show up? when you get close to your equipment? when you plug it in to charge?

Because it sounded better to my ear :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That could be explained by confiirmation bias or belief bias :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, good point.

“Oxygen free audiophile silver cable” sounds a lot better than “the same XLR cable model that was used in the recording studio”

It could also be explained by actual testing lol, I have already tried blind tests and you can tell the difference on a high end setup. I actually got to hear the difference when I went to ps audio and I got to demo it first hand. I’m not telling people that it’s better for them, it just worked for me.

Glad I started such a controversial thought

I am not sure what causes it within the phone, but when unplugged and comming into 2 feet distance of the power outlet, I get a humming sound.
But if it is the radio signal, does an UPS help with that?

Hey I use mogami gold in my studio, it’s a great choice for the price, solid and robust and no need to go higher there. Also again if you go to some studios you see them using the same high end stuff people have at homes, on that note I do know that some studios use powerplants in there too lol. Once you get to the mastering stage you would be surprised how much cross over there is for pro and hifi products. Audio engineers are just professional audiophiles

Could this be something for you @M0N?
Maybe you can get a good deal on it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

the 46-megawatt Battery Electric Storage System (BESS), in Fairbanks, Alaska, powers the entire city and nearby rural communities during outages

I have UPS’ in my system, but not to clean power.
They’re generally decent surge protectors, but looking at the output of mine they don’t regenerate anything unless the power fails. And you have to spend the additional money on the “pure sine wave” variants for a decent output off the battery.
They’re designed to keep your equipment running if there is an outage, not clean your power.
I have 2 UPS’ in my office, one of which is “pure sine wave” and neither puts out particularly clean sine waves if you yank the plug out of the wall.

I wrote to APC customer service and asked if their products was sending the current through the battery, during normal usage when there is no power surge.

As I understand their reply they don’t, the current is not going through the battery and you don’t get that benefit of more clean power due to the battery in the UPS.

2 Likes

ok, in that case, I’ll crawl back under my rock.

I hoped you were right, because then an UPS would be a nice solution.

They called me and said that the current IS more clear, it just doesn’t use the battery. So Online DO clear the power, but not through the battery.

And for audiophile use, an online UPS would make too much noise to be in the same room as the speakers/HP’s to make sense.

On top of that, it wouldn’t help on radio interference from mobiles, so many reasons for not using an online UPS for my issue.

And the power levels phones broadcast, you should not see any effect in power supplies.
You are probably barking up the wrong tree here.