Let's talk about power equipment for your audio gear

I understand your hesitation lol

1 Like

Pretty sure the only reason I hear the difference is the power plants. I had some of those higher end power cables without the power plant and it really didn’t make a difference. I feel like once I had the better quality power from the ps audio is only when I noticed the differences that a nice power cable could make

2 Likes

I completely understand all these extras at your level… I’d like to spend some money (a reasonable amount) on cables just to get a clean look to the room

Ah everything is just shoved behind the desk and racks, out of sight out of mind lol.

I could recommend the power plants if someone had a higher end setup but still not cables, me mentioning cables on here does not mean I am recommending them whatsoever

2 Likes

The 4 Tiers of power management:

1. Surge protection - If you don’t have this, get this!

2. Power Conditioner - Takes Grid power and takes the edges off and lessens voltage fluctuation (mostly droop).
    A potential headache saver with random fuses popping or computers shutting off.

3. Line-Interactive UPS - Using its internal battery, these devices just ignore the existance of the power grid in fault conditions.
    When your area has a black (or brown) out once per quarter or more often, get one!

4. Online UPS - Takes grid power, turns it into DC (where the batteries are hooked in aswell) and then produces clean AC on the load side, no matter what happens on the grid side.

2 Likes

See post above.

They are powerconditioner and UPS in one unit. Often used with Server and mission-critical gear.

1 Like

Online UPS are pretty nice, really reliable and would most likely fix a fair amount of issues with bad power

I know all about UPS…I sell em. had some interesting projects…a three phase one for an office and a nifty one for some coast guard ships being built.

bloody noisy though!

Lol well in the application they are typically deployed in noise typically isn’t a concern

Found us an expert! Nice!

Your stage then, bye :wink:

1 Like

But do Online UPS also handle Interference, or are they just high-end protection gear from a power surge etc.?

HA! by no means an expert…but I know enough to be trouble. like wanting to know what does CyberPower, Tripp Lite, APC or Eaton make that’s comparable to the PS Audio gear and whether they have similar costs or if you’re being fleeced because it’s done in the name of ‘audio’.

Do tell :yum: :yum:

That is a damn good question.
As bottom off the barrel Online UPS by ABB (Yes, ABB the guys that make transformers for power plants, Robot arms, etc.) including a 1kVA battery cost 1,000€, I have some questions to all the “audiophile power magic”-guys.

1 Like

well…M0N likes his audio rock and he has said repeatedly that the PS Audio power station made for better audio. :wink:

2 Likes

I just asked my Tripp Lite rep, in addition to my CyberPower rep, as mentioned earlier, what they have thats comparable to the power stations from PS Audio.

I expect my Tripp Lite rep will loop in their engineers who will take a close look at what these power stations really are and what they do before they come back with a recommendation on what they have that does the same thing.

it will be neat to see if they’re priced better, showing PS Audio is gouging / fleecing or whether they are similarly priced and learn that PSA is providing good value. I hope for the latter…cause snake oil sucks. :frowning:

4 Likes

The feedback will be very interesting.

Edit: Semi-related and to preempt someone asking:
No, a small generator will not be cleaner than the power grid.

1 Like

They rectify the incoming power then use an FPGA to modulate it back into a consistent Sine Wave.
Hence the term regenerator.
I doubt that’s useful to any industry outside of very high end audio, and possibly high end measurement gear.

The reason it can affect the way something sounds is the same reason that more expensive components have ludicrously expensive power supplies and go to great lengths to isolate the component from any noise in the incoming power.

SET valve amps literally couple the positive supply voltage directly to the output via a transformer, so the cleaner the better.

You’d have to have a system in the mid+ 10’s of thousands of dollars range to justify the $4K for the PS Audio regenerator, but if your already spending that, and and it provides an audible improvement even if it’s 0.1% why wouldn’t you.

1 Like

Same as an online UPS
The difference is the lack of marketing wank.

FPGAs are good when:

• Ordering custom ASICs is not viable/no ASIC for your application exists
  • Doing jobs on massive paralel data streams
  • Hardware implementations of certain algorythms

Let me assure you there are a couple thousand different ASICs for DC-AC inverters available. And even then, any microcontroller with analog input pins would do.