šŸ”· iFi ZEN CAN Headphone Amplifier

The crosstalk on my unit measures at -59db. I contacted ifi support and they said this is normal and intentional.Here is how it looks. cross

Ah yes, this is intentional! Thanks for checking in with us.

Yes it has a lot of crosstalk. Iā€™ve just checked with my HD600 and crosstalk is very audible when you play only one channel you hear it in other one. In ballanced itā€™s less loud then in s.e.Then I tryed my Asgard 2(class A) and it has pretty audible crosstalk also, but less then Zen Can.
Then I checked Liquid Spark, and this one has almost no crosstalk even on very high volume just a litlle bit.
Also I tryed Asus DLX amp and no crosstalk too.
Just for curiosity I checked Zen Dac built-in amp and itā€™s too has very litlle crosstalk, but i donā€™t like the quality of this built-in amp, Zen Can sounds better.
I would like IFI to explain why they made this amount of crosstalk in Zen Can. The point of balanced amp is to have more separation? In real life I dont notice it.

How does the Liquid Spark comparer to the Zen Can? Iā€™ve heard they are similar.

Crosstalk is always unwanted.
Crossfeed is intentional and wanted.

my bad got it confused haha

1 Like

I doubt that i can distinguish Liquid Spark, Asgard 2 or Zen Can in blind test on HD600. But I have Monolith M570(Sendy Aiva clone) these headphone love Zen Can. I donā€™t know why but M570 sounds really better on Zen Can even then Asgard 2. For Me Zen Can sound a bit brighter then Liquid Spark or A2.
by the way crosstalk was discussed on audiosciencereview a lot and someone whrote 'Crosstalk measurements are interesting, no question, but as a sidenote, in headphones no crosstalk will amplify the dreaded ā€œplaying in the headā€ effect." I donā€™t know is it true or not.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for linking this Serge!

Hi all - I have a question.

Just got a Zen stack recently but 4.4mm cables are expensive for me.

Can I use a 3.5mm to 4.4mm balanced adapter on the zen can so I can take advantage of the balanced headphone output of the CAN?

Like the one on the photo.

Balanced Adapter 4.4

Thank you.

Hi! Welcome to HFGF!

Unfortunately, no. Thereā€™s no good way to use an unbalanced (aka single-ended) cable on a balanced output. An unbalanced cable doesnā€™t have enough conductors and will end up shorting out the output.

You can safely adapt a balanced headphone cable to a single-ended output, but not the other way around. If youā€™re US-based, Hart Audio Cables is an economical solution for cabling needs.

2 Likes

The adapter in your photo is for using a 4.4mm balanced headphone in a single ended 3.5mm jack. Iā€™m reading the text of your post as wanting to use a 3.5mm headphone in the 4.4mm balanced port. If you have a 3.5mm headphone use the 3.5mm port on your amp. The only common adapting of the 4.4mm balanced port should be to 4 pin XLR.

What headphones are you wanting to use n the 4.4mm output?

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome!

I see. Very good info to know. Thank you so much!

Sorry - I posted a different photo.

Itā€™s supposed to be 4.4mm male into a 3.5mm female.

So I think the explanation of WaveTheory covered it.

Thank you as well for taking time to read and answer my question.

1 Like

Just confirming what folks have said here - unfortunately, there is no proper way to do this!

Happy to answer any more questions if you have them.

1 Like

Hi all,

@WaveTheory Thank you so much for the review, I really enjoyed reading it a lot! :smiley:

Iā€™m currently looking for a reasonable priced DAC and Amp for my DT 1990 Pros and am currently favoring an Ifi Zen DACv2/Can stack. Since balanced outputs generally seem to deliver more power, I have already ordered all the stuff needed to mod my 1990s for a balanced input via 4.4mm Pentaconn on an amp.

In the review the DT 1990s were mentioned in the ā€œunfortunateā€ section because the Zen Can introduces distortion on 250-ohm DT headphones in the low end and especially when using the XBass.

My questions:

1. Regarding the 1990s, would that distortion likely be noticeably less when using the Zen CANā€™s balanced output?
  2. Alternative: Since Schiit products (Modius, Magnius, Asgard 3) are not readily available in Europe, would a Topping A50s (15V power supply, 4.4mm balanced out) combined with the D50s DAC be a better choice than the Zen stack for the DT 1990s?

Thanks, Chripo :slight_smile:

Hi! Welcome to HFGF!

Nice can!

If youā€™re comfortable doing it, modding a Beyer DT is often handy. I would recommend that you mod it dual-entry detachable, or at least balanced detachable, so that you can use it on a SE output as well.

Yes. The CAN might be borderline OK for this headphone. I canā€™t say for sure though.

Schiit needs to get their schiit together in international distro, for sure! I was not a fan of the A50s by any stretch. What price can you get a Lake People G103s for? Thatā€™s our standard entry-point amp rec for our EU friends.

1 Like

I will try this mod which replaces the original 3-pin mini XLR connector with a 4 pin mini XLR. Additionally, I plan to make a corresponding cable with 4.4mm Pentaconn plug together with a separate 3.5mm TRS plug to 4.4mm Pentaconn jack adapter for SE outputs. Hope to get along with these for a while. :smile:

Thanks for your review and opinion on the A50s. From reading stuff on the web, I had the impression that it would be a good choice in the price range of about 200EUR/USD, especially when using balanced out (SE seems to be less capable though).

On Amazon, the G103-S is 269 EUR, A50s 199 EUR and the Zen CAN 169 EUR (without iPower, which would add another 50 EUR).

My thoughts on these three are as follows:

• G103-S: most likely the best sound on a Dt 1990, highest price of the three amps, no balanced in- or outputs, no stackable DAC (could e.g. use it with a Topping E30), not very attractive case, maybe not very portable due to the large power connector used.
  • D50s/A50s stack: should deliver enough power on the balanced output for DT 1990, no balanced input, very nice looking small sized stack, should easily be portable in a backpack.
  • Zen DAC/CAN stack: most likely lacking power for DT 1990 even when using the balanced output, lowest price when not considering the additional costs for iPower power supply, balanced in- and outputs (but balanced in does not noticably improve sound quality), nice medium sized stack, should also be portable in a backpack.

Would that be a reasonable summary for the three options? :slight_smile: And how would a Schiit Modius/Magnius stack compare to these? If that stack would offer the least compromises, I would consider ordering it directly in the US.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :smiley:

ā€“Chripo

I wouldnā€™t worry about balanced at this price point. Hereā€™s why:

Itā€™s still potentially forward-thinking to balance mod your DT1990 if you can do it safely, because it will open up the possibility of a wider range of amps to use down the road. Balanced amping does not inherently sound better, though.

The G103-s is probably the best sounding amp you have on that list. I havenā€™t heard it myself, but I trust those who say itā€™s the real deal at the price point. You donā€™t have to match it with a Topping E30, though. You can use a Zen Dac V1 or V2 with it just fine.

You will get sound.

I like the Zen DAC just fine as a DAC. Iā€™m not nearly as high on iFiā€™s entry-level amps.

This is a wrinkle I didnā€™t expect. Do you need transportability in your setup?

If youā€™re gonna order Schiit gear, I would strongly suggest the Asgard 3 amp. IMO itā€™s the best <$200 headphone amp on the market right now. With shipping and customs, it might be close to the price of a G103s (?). My recommendation for you, if itā€™s isnā€™t too much money, would be to use a Zen DAC as a DAC and connect it to either a G103s or an Asgard 3.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks a ton for helping @chripo with the great info here :slight_smile:

1 Like