šŸ”· iFi ZEN CAN Headphone Amplifier

Thanks again @WaveTheory for your enlightening comments and the precious time you take to guide me through my adventure of getting my first advanced headphone Amp/DAC stack! :sunglasses:

Yes, I understand that ā€œbalancedā€ outputs not necessarily provide ā€œbetterā€ sound. But the balanced outputs of the 200 EUR/USD amps mostly offer more power compared to SE outputs, which seems to be benefitial for my DT 1990. Thatā€™s the main reason why I thought Zen Can, A50s or the Magnius Amps would be good candidates for me. :thinking: But I also understand, that other factors like internal design, power supply (cf. Zen Can) etc. could also have a big influence on output power and sound quality. So maybe my suggestions were simply a noobā€™s naive guess after reading lots of (often contradictory) opinions on various DACs/Amps on the web. :roll_eyes:

Thanks again, I will definitely have a look at some more reviews of the G103-S! :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: And I also like the Zen DAC very much for its versatility (DAC+Amp) and optics, but itā€™s a pity that it doesnā€™t offer SPDIF or Toslink inputs. Both together will probably not ā€œstackā€ very well, but might be the ā€œbest of breedā€ combo in the ~400-500 USD/EUR range. :relieved:

Well, thatā€™s a use case that might come up soon since my company is moving to a new building where I will be working in a shared workspace without a dedicated desk etc. :office: Itā€™s quite possible that I would prefer working in such an environment while listening to some music (probably mostly at lower volumes). Iā€™m not sure whether I would appreciate ā€œgood soundā€ in such an environment, but if so, I might carry my DT 1990 and DAC/Amp stack between office and home. :flushed: On the other hand, I might be better off with my old Shure SE215 IEMs (great isolation!) directly connected to my laptop. Or maybe I try to get some new IEMs like the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusks and only carry something like the Zen DAC with me to drive these (should be way better than the SE215 on laptop audio). So a certian kind of portability would be interesting, but has a low priority (I would always prefer sound quality).

But BTTā€¦ :joy:

Yes, with shipping, customs and taxes one $200 Schiit device will be about 250ā‚¬ in Germany. The G103-S sells for 269ā‚¬. BTW, ordering two 200$ Schiit devices together will be 465ā‚¬ (incl. customs/taxes).

Question: from the ~200-300USD/EUR pricepoint upwards, what would be good examples of recommendable DAC/Amp stacks with balanced outputs regarding price to performance ratio?

I will now dive into reading more stuff on the G103-S and the Asgard 3ā€¦ :smiley:

Thank you again for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it! :sunglasses:

ā€“Chripo

Schiitā€™s having a hard time everywhere right now. Tons of backorder products on their site now.

1 Like

Youā€™re very welcome. Please do report back once youā€™ve made decisions.

TBH Lake People reviews are a bit scarce. They are a more pro-oriented company and donā€™t really send out review units. The reviews out there will be written by owners, mostly. We have a G103s thread:

Iā€™m also gonna tag @M0N because he knows about the G103s, and @MazeFrame because he owns one. Hopefully they can help you out.

1 Like

Wish I had read this before getting the DAC and the Zen can :cry:

1 Like

It happens, itā€™s ok!

1 Like

just sell the CAN. someone whoā€™s got a DAC and needs an amp will buy it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have read a lot more about the Asgard 3 and the LP G103s today but couldnā€™t find a reliable comparison of those with regards to my DT 1990. :roll_eyes: But I found several posts here and there indicating that the DT 1990 pairs very well with the Asgard 3, as you @WaveTheory already pointed out. So I followed your recommendation and ordered an Asgard 3 in Schiitā€™s US shop as well as an Ifi Zen DAC v2 together with an iPower supply. The Asgard currently has a delivery time of about 4-6 weeks, international shipment and customs handling will likely delay delivery even more. The Ifi stuff will arrive early next week. Iā€™m really curious how the Zen DAC + Asgard combo will perform with my DT1990. :sunglasses:

Sorry for hijacking this nice thread on the Zen Can for something that turned out to be more of a purchase advice. :flushed: Thanks a lot once again for your comments, Iā€™m now looking forward for listening to music with my nice new gear soon! :smiley:

ā€“Chripo

1 Like

Iā€™m loving my zen can paired with the zen dac (v1). And Iā€™ve listened to GTO filter and limoncello filter. At first I thought I like the GTOā€™s forwardness and analytical but recently switched to limoncelloā€¦ I find it more enjoyable, relaxing, and laid back sound. Also prefer the limoncello filter on my focal clear MG.

@WaveTheory have you tried the limoncello filter on the zen dac and pair it with zen can? Iā€™d like to hear your impressions and thoughts about it.

I didnā€™t do any firmware updates. And I canā€™t anymore because Iā€™ve sold my Zen units.

1 Like

Ah. Thanks for the update.
Yeah was in the verged of selling the zen stacks or at least the dac when the v2 was announced. But after rolling back the firmware I decided to keep it.

limoncello sounds more ā€œorganicā€ aka smooth and rich. i did find it more enjoyable. i found GTO filter more detailed but felt more sterile

1 Like

I guess the Zen DAC v2 uses the GTO filter? Since the Limoncello filter was used in an older firmware of v1, it will most likely not be released for v2, right?

I believe the Zen DAC V2 actually comes with 7.2 installed. It does not use the GTO filter stock.

2 Likes
1 Like

Great review!

I have Sundara headphones and a Zen DAC. Is it worth it to add a Zen CAN to the stack for this headphone? Iā€™ve heard good things about XBass over the TrueBass and the 3D sound functionality, but not sure if itā€™s worth the upgrade.

Also iFi seems to think that the IEMatch would also improve the sound by allowing me to turn the volume up higher (I donā€™t have any noise floor issues so thatā€™s not a problem). Anyone have any input on that?

1 Like

Sundara is not particularly easy to drive, Zen CAN will help in my opinion. If you want Class A/B and big power though, go for Schiit Asgard 2

2 Likes

Asgard 2 is pure class A single ended(not push pull). I have Asgard 2 and Zen Can. Zen Can is a bit brighter. DT880 600ohm I prefer with Asgard , but Monoprice M570 sounds better wjth Zen Can.
HD600 via 4.4mm balanced also good with Zen Can

2 Likes

You wonā€™t need an IEMatch with the Sundara :slight_smile: only with a sensitive set of IEMs like the Andromeda 2020.

1 Like

Since about two weeks Iā€™m really thrilled by my new audio gear! :star_struck: :partying_face: The ZEN DAC v2 arrived first and already made such a big improvment to my former Soundblaster Z! :open_mouth: :smiley: I could hardly believe a dedicated amp could push my music listening experience even further. Just a few days later the Schiit Asgard 3 arrived here in Germany. Shipping took less than a week from order, much faster than stated on the Schiit website! :sunglasses: Total costs including shipping, duties and taxes were about 270ā‚¬ which is very close to the price of the Lake People G103-S amp.

Since then, Iā€™ve listened to music - familiar and new stuff - almost every night, feeling like a kid in a candy store! :rofl: As a newbie, Iā€™m certainly not ā€œaudiophileā€ enough to express my sound impressions to this very nice community :hugs: in an applicable way, but compared to the ZEN DACā€™s integrated amplifier the Asgard 3 makes a more relaxed impression in complex passages and reveals more details overall especially in good recordings. In fact, I am surprised to hear (more or less) blemishes in several older recordings I actually thought to know quite well. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks a lot again for all your help, :+1:t3: I promise this will be my last OT post in this nice ZEN CAN thread! :relieved:

5 Likes