🔷 iFi Zen CAN Signature 6XX

Do you have the existing iFi Zen stack or did you just order this Drop stack? If either, please report how well this cable works.

1 Like

They would probably have it much cheaper than $85 too I would hope lol.

1 Like

You likely wouldn’t connect the amp directly to a pc. You could through the rca inputs, but more likely the DAC will connect to a pc. That’s a USB connection

1 Like

Yeah, I got them mixed up a bit hahaha my bad on that. Yeah no I see it now.

@WaveTheory I have it on the way so not sure yet. I have the Zen DAC\Amp combo. I just bought the cable as I am pulling the trigger on the Drop stack later today or tomorrow.

And I just got an email as I was typing this that Amazon cancelled my order for the cable. Must have sold out right as I bought it. Further investigation required. May have to go through Hart.

1 Like

Well, when I posted the link Amazon claimed there were 3 left. I see there are 3 clicks on my posted link…

2 Likes

looks like joshua posted a review as well. He also touches on the Periapt cable making the cables for this unit.

1 Like

@Falenkor That’s not a terrible review from him. He echos some of the same concerns about the separate DAC that I have but I can make it work with other things so I’m super concerned for myself. Plus MQA support (if you like that format) at that price is pretty good.

He makes a note of it in the comments vs the 789 as well as the asgard 3 since he was rather vague on some things and he didnt even cover the 3d mode like zeos did.

Joshua Valour
2 hours ago

Hmmmm. Concerning trend in the comments. First, this is not an ad. This is a loan unit, sent from IFI. Neither Drop nor IFI is paying me. Nor asking me to say anything (except for the disclaimer about the pre-production status). I am however, part of Drop and Amazons Affiliate Programs, as disclosed in the description of every video. Second, if the video feels different and scripted… It is. I am trying a new filming style of video, using longer focal length and moving locations more often (always trying to better the content on the channel). - The scripting helps me make more jokes, and keep on track (especially when changing from location to location) with topics and information I might otherwise forget. However, my implementation of this is not the best, as it’s one of the first times doing it. And, I see how it could seem more “ad-ish”, though, not the intended feeling, I will make corrections to try to avoid it in the future. To address some specific questions I saw in the comments that I did not cover in this video specifically. This over 789? - For raw sound quality/power, no reason. Other reasons could be size, looks, EQ adjustments (if you don’t/Cannot run EQ). I did not say it was better. I just said it outputs about the same power at 300 ohms specifically. So if you have a 6xx, the choice between the amps comes down to you desired features. This or Asgard? Depends. Asgard will drive more power demanding headphones, but will not be so good with high efficiency headphones, like IEMS. So, if you have really hard stuff, get Asgard or 789. Those will be the most versatile for more headphones. Using this Amp on the 58X - Sure! Sounds great, however, generally speaking, the 58X doesn’t really need an amp in the same way that the 6XX does. So, to clarify my poorly constructed thoughts here - The Amp, is NOT the best on the market at this price (overall). It MIGHT be the best amp at the price for the 6XX exclusively, depending on your desired features.(If you only want single ended, THX or Asgard are better). The DAC, like I said in the video - Not worth it. (unless you REALLY want the stack). Even though it performs as it should.

As far as the dac is concerned I have no idea where to turn on that. E30 and Modius are damn fine dacs as it is. The combo unit is $500+ which is pretty high all considering and a lot of people I know bought the 6xx because it was the cheaper alternative yet offered amazing sound.

@Falenkor Yeah and I already have the Zen DAC/Amp combo. With my existing setup it would basically be exclusively for the Darkvoice. I really feel like I can wait on the separate DAC if IFI ever sells it on their site. Drop stuff is very well tuned though I don’t know what more they can do over the combo so it’s kinda 50/50 and almost just a money factor at that point. At least that’s how I figure it in my head at the moment.

I mean, I do think the bass and I assume the 3d is treble from the sounds of it maybe? dunno are cool and all and the fact your getting a balanced setup is nice. However, at that price I dunno. I like balanced and all but in terms of comparing it to the asgard? Asgard is one mean friggin amp all considering at $200 and you can get it cheaper than that in B-stock hell I have seem the asgard 3 sold for $150 from time to time and it outpaces this amp from the sounds of it while being extremely well rounded. E30 or modius I think would also be hard to beat here.

I guess its more niche? So, if you feel you need balanced and those two settings on the side it’d be more worth it to you? Just my thoughts on it though. I mean I already own a liquid platinum and bifrost 2 so perhaps I just don’t see this as well as I should lol.

1 Like

This little stack looks fun. If you’re in on the Sennheiser line and use Tidal, drop $500 and you’re good for a long while.

1 Like

Damn. The 6XX is one of my favorites but I already have enough amps as is. I wonder if that button can be replicated with EQ.

It’s cool that Max Settings is now getting sent review units.

@marcgii I don’t think that it can. My understanding is that it’s some kind of analog voodoo that IFI does.

i find this very dificult and frustrating as its mostly just a zendac with the dac sold seperately and a balanced output and more expensive. as well as implying the 6XX need to be fixed with a special equializer just for them (hell im trying to keep the 58X’s sound and fixing the lack of intensity). i wasn’t going to buy it anyway because its way too big for my bed setup but it is kinda weird to have, beyond the dac having MQA what major difference does it have compared to something like the modius and magni heresy

1 Like

Glad to see him view it in a more subjective view instead of gushing over it or yelling to the viewers buy it now or something. Respectable video and fairly indepth with his own opinion. Not bad at all and seems that he shares my own opinion on it.

1 Like

and note i do respect ifi a lot seeing as their OTG cable is incredibly good and the hipdac is the only other alternative i will think of besides the Xduoo XD05 (the topping DX4 probably doesn’t have a sound i want)… but this seems much more overpriced compared to many good options for the same price (if you dont need balanced but a ton of power get a modi and asguard or just an asguard)

Anyone see that there is an ifi Zen Signature HD58x Edition on the ifi website?

1 Like

According to Drop…the 6XX has sold over 100,000 units. The 58X a little south of 50,000 units.

Now marketing a headphone specific DAC/AMP combo with those kinds of sales potentially out there for $500? Sounds like they are trying to make some money. If the product is good…who am I to judge.