Integrated amp recommendations

I need to replace an older Marantz PM7200 that sounded great but kicked the bucket. The new amp needs to feed 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers and a powered sub. Primarily for playing music from my pc but occasionally for tv too. A home theatre receiver would do the trick but is the SQ in the same league as the old Marantz in the under $1500 price range?
I want to set hi pass filters for the bookshelfs but I’m not seeing this feature in spec sheets. I have a Mini DSP though so if this new amp doesn’t have a built-in DAC I could use that, assuming the new amp would recognize the signal from the Mini (which the older Marantz did not).
Thanks!

1 Like

Marantz PM8006 could work for you.

The PM6006 my dad has also has optical in (is only using a 3rd of your budget, so potential downgrade).

Thanks- that’s high on my list right now. The Cambridge CXA81, Yamaha S801 are as well. The Marantz doesn’t have a built-in DAC, which seems good and bad. Good because if I use the Mini DSP there will be just the one DAC working, bad because the DAC in the Cambridge and Yamaha should be better than the one in the Mini DSP (theoretically just based on price). My limited understanding is there should be just one DAC in the chain.
The SQ difference between the Yamaha RX-V6A, a home theatre amp, and the old Marantz was enough to convince me I need to step up the budget. What I don’t know is if there are HT receivers in my price range that can match the sound quality of that old Marantz.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on this path instead: pre-amp>>amp?
Instead of getting an all in one unit like the Cambridge CXA81, something like the [Parasound NewClassic Pre] and NewClassic 275 v2. This setup has a good DAC, ability to send low frequencies to the sub and set a hipass filter for the bookshelfs. Is there a downside here?
Thanks

1 Like

looking at the parasound too, wish the high pass would go up to least 60hz. If you use the minidspHD optical it downsamples to 96khz processing using spdif ?

Watched a guy on youtube go through the CD in of the yamaha a-s701 with an external DAC, guess the CD in allows bypass of the internal DAC and amplifies 10hz-100khz using pure direct mode.

I fixed the links above- the pre-amp has the right url now. The pre-amp has a variable 20-140Hz crossover filter so that fixes the issue for me-- not sure if you’re interested in the pre-amp though.
CD in bypasses the DAC… so many of these things are hidden. Makes research so difficult. I found out the Yamaha S801 automatically applies a high pass filter if the sub out is used. At 90Hz. Not variable- if it were variable I probably would’ve already bought and been done with this shopping madness.

1 Like

Really ? I thought is was low-pass for the subout gonna to look into that, thanks!

Update: Searched its lowpass at the sub 90hz.

I see two things:

• Analog bass management w/ variable 20-140Hz high pass crossover
    and
  • 80Hz low pass subwoofer output
1 Like

Ok its the 801. Got to move up if you want the good stuff.

Yeah- really kinda sucks that variable crossovers, or even switchable at useful increments, aren’t commonly available on pre or integrated amps.

You sure those yamahas have a high pass filter ?

Harrison Labs Low Pass Crossover

This company sells low pass and high pass RCA crossovers. I haven’t tried them yet, but this weekend going to see.

Maybe the miniDSP Nanodigi would work for you too.

1 Like

Got those in my cart but the feedback is inconsistent.

Not positive no. I got that from a post in another thread. The poster seemed legit.
Before the old Marantz kicked the bucket I got a Mini DSP 2x4HD hoping it’d solve this crossover problem. Theoretically it’s just what the doctor ordered but the Marantz PM 7200 wouldn’t play the signal from it. I spoke to George at Deer Creek Audio to make sure I had the Mini DSP all set up properly so it was definitely the Marantz PM7200 that was the problem.
The Harrison Labls crossover in a barrel look really interesting. “noise and distortion too low to measure”. If that old Marantz still worked I’d give them a try for sure but now I need the whole shebang.

1 Like

Just pulled the trigger on the Parasound NC Pre and NC275v2. $795 and $440 on Amazon, in stock. So much stuff is out of stock these days I feel kinda lucky to get them, especially since that price is $250 lower than a few other vendors.

2 Likes

Long post here. More good news bad news.
The amp arrived, more on that below. The Pre-amp order was cancelled by the seller (AV Toys) because “the item did not function properly”. There was no mention of it being used so… wow. Bait and switch or maybe it was new and damaged, either way I dodged a bullet there. Still without a pre-amp tho :frowning:
SQ of the NewClassic 275v2 amp is good but I can only directly compare it to is that Marantz PM-7200 and a Yamaha RX V6A (HT receiver). It’s not in the same class as the Marantz- the sound stage is the first thing I noticed. The Parasound isn’t nearly as wide and full. I don’t have the vocabulary but the Marantz is also better in the high frequenciess they’re clearer and more well defined and the lows are a bit more crisp too. Considering the cost this is no surprise but I’d hoped it’d be at least noticeably better than the home theatre amp and it’s not. More subdued high freqs and the rest is on a par after an awkward bit of A-B’ing. For $400 is aok but I guess my expectations weren’t realistic.
And the Marantz is not the culprit for the noise. I tried every bit of troubleshooting I could think of and it all came back to the Topping DAC or more likely the pc output (usb and or optical). Bluetooth has no noise. Good news bad news…
Just gotta get a pre-amp now and return the Parasound. Fun never ends.

1 Like

I had the Parasound NewClassic 200 Integrated for a bit. I liked it for all the bass management. As far as the PC noise goes I would pick up a USB isolation device if you can. Something like the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion- I will look into that right now.
Bought it. Will post a follow up in a few days. Crossing my fingers!

2 Likes

That actually looks really good. I may go for one.

1 Like

I replaced the Topping DX7 Pro with the Mini DSP 2x4HD, got it working now.
A little hiss/noise is still present but that Wyred device is on the way. Sure hope that does the trick.
Now the Mini DSP is functioning as a DAC and providing excellent bass management since it has user adjustable crossovers for each output. Liking what I hear so far.

2 Likes