Is there a perfect headphone?

Those that think Harman neutral is perfect.

but itā€™s not the harman neutralā€¦itā€™s called the harman ā€˜CURVEā€™. LoL!

I think the term neutral is thrown out a lot and no one really understands it. To me I just think of it as headphones that donā€™t favor low, mid, or high, but that could also be considered flat. Shit Iā€™ve confused myself again. Neutral is on my shift knob?

Itā€™s confusing to me, but Iā€™ve heard the terms harman curve, harman neutral interchangably.

Well human hearing isnā€™t flat, weā€™re more sensitive to treble and donā€™t hear bass as well (we tend to feel it more than hear it). But electronics donā€™t know that, so what we might perceive as flat would be curved in the device.

2 Likes

neutral is a flat lineā€¦which, in theory, will let the headphones respond to the music as it was intended to be heard. the harman curve gives whatever you listen to itā€™s frequency biasā€¦which by a lot of research, has been found to be the common denominator for most pleasing sound for the majority.

I really like my Vizio HP-50ā€™sā€¦so they are onto something!

2 Likes

To me flat is everything being even in a studio sense, neutral in my mind is something that sounds natural and lifelike

3 Likes

youā€™re wrong!

Thatā€™s a pretty good way to explain it. That would explain why people I know call stuff neutral I find warm sometimes. Everyoneā€™s ears are different after all.

Damn feels good to be back on Head-Fi.org. lol

4 Likes

Iā€™m only taunting him to make a comment so I can reply with an irrational response to make for more laughter. weā€™re a good bunch here. :smiley:

2 Likes

I know. lol I like this site a lot more than that other site.

1 Like

Well for the record, itā€™s the Harman frequency response target curve. No mention of neutral or flat in the title.

Sean Olive (lead researcher on this) recently tweeted a picture of an Oratory1990 frequency response graph for the Orpheus with the Harman target overlaid. Humble bragged something about they must be on to something given the close match between the Orpheus and the Harman target.

Sorry for the interruption. Now back to the kibitzing.

3 Likes

Your telling me you donā€™t want to be part of a community that ruins you hobby? Wow not a real enthusiast

1 Like

Thatā€™s probably why I decided against the he1 and went with the Shang instead lol

Damn youā€™re right. Iā€™m going to go home and throw away my stuff and just buy insert ā€œfashionā€ brand name here. lol

Iā€™m legit glad I found this site, I only joined that other site a short while ago, but I lurked it for years. I was always afraid to post because I would see majority of threads devolve into a pissing contest or smug-off. Finally started posting and pretty much just got ignored/told I was wrong. Thereā€™s still decently helpful people over there, Iā€™d just wish those people would come over here. lol

1 Like

The perfect headphone doesnā€™t exist yet. I know that because I know what it will be like when it finally appears. It will have a dial for bass level, a dial for upper mids level, a dial for detail level, a dial for dynamics, a dial for soundstage size, and a three-way switch for dynamic/planar/e-stat. It will weigh no more than 350 grams, fit all heads and ears comfortably, come with a good balanced cable, and sell for $500. Jet black with pin-stripes, racing flames or anime customization extra.

And no, it wonā€™t be a Chi-fi product. By then the hotbed of audio innovation will have moved on to Uzbekistan. Mark my words. You read it here first.

6 Likes

Well, now you have documented proof that you have this idea first and can sue the creator of this headphone for copying your idea lol

I think I posted this in another thread, a while back when talking about endgame.
There is no perfect, itā€™s true in almost any Hobby.
I have what many here would consider a lot of money in HiFi, mostly stereo (not as much as some), but thatā€™s nothing in what I have in some of my other hobbies.
I own a lot of $$ worth of guitars, when I still played music semi seriously, for a while I was obsessed with finding the one guitar for me, there were never less that 3 or 4 guitars I played regularly. You just canā€™t have the Sound of a 58 Les Paul with the feel of a Parker Fly, that guitar not only doesnā€™t exist it canā€™t.

Headphones are IMO much the same way, technologies have trade-offs, material choices have trade-offs. The difference between a 6xx and Focal Elex is more than just frequency response. They stage differently, they present vocals differently etc etc.

1 Like

I think you hit it right in the mark, Iā€™m similar when I donā€™t listen to many genres at all. And I have a headphone that with increased Soundstage I could consider PERFECT