JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

2000 USD :frog: :grinning:

2 Likes

Over 9000, pure gold and turns a waner to a Subtonic storm?

5 Likes

$5K and actually pure gold :sob:

Some people are something else, I’d rather put that to a car, but hey that’s just me

7 Likes

One hella next video. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Perfect match for this then.

20k usd iirc.

3 Likes

So I think I asked this before somewhere, but what’s everyone’s take on cables affecting sound?

I’m not much of a cable believer, but I’ve been A/Bing these 2 cables for the last while and they definitely sound different (the bronze one makes the sound warmer)

but when I measure them they graph exactly the same. Maybe it has something to do with the impedance? Not sure if I’m going crazy, but I’d love to hear everyone’s take on this

5 Likes

Measure the impedance? That’s my only guess. Normally, not much difference.

2 Likes

Here’s my take regarding cable rolling:
1/ I change cables 100% of the time because of fit and different termination (4.4< > 3.5).
2/ I’m not a cable changing sound believer myself, but i’m open to believe cable can change sound even if i myself cant hear it (assume both cables have same impedance)
3/ There’s also the confirmation bias and the brain/ears/eyes interpret what it wants to interpret.
For example: This cable is a bit bigger, heavier than the other one. Who’s to say that’s not affecting your hearing or feeling towards that iem? This is, imho, a big affecting factor when doing blind test. When you cant see the cable, you switch to feel the cable. Ykwim?
Or is it your subconscious: You see the copper cable that has a “warmer” color than the other color and then coincidentally, it also sound warmer as well?
Or when you read that 1 cable has copper and the other has silver and your conscious automatically think that the copper cable is warmer?
Or, shit, placebo effect! Let’s say i have 2 cables that have literally the same conducting material, cores,… All that stuff. Then i trick you that 1 is gold and 1 is copper. There’s the chance of you convinced yourself 1 is definitely gold.

Remember, i’m not saying cable dont change sound.
I’m just saying, unless you did a true blind test: Blind fold your self, same iem, cant hear the rustling noice when changing the cable(or not), the cable have the same weight and outer feel, the same hardware (end terminations), the same solder material, the only different is the material itself: Let’s say 200 cores of pure silver vs 200 cores of OCC Copper. And THEN you hear the different with near 100% success

Then i’ll fully believe.
I’m not rich enough to conduct this material myself lol

5 Likes

There’s this cool meeting in my country, where the few big guy who has big money, said that they can hear OTG when A/Bing. By A/Bing i meant they change the cable themselves. They see what they did. They swear it changed.

Then the blind A/B begin and 4/5 guys failed miserably. 1 guy has the success rate of 3/5 cable swap.

But hear this: The “better” cable when doing blind test is a 4$ otg cable on Aliexpress and the other big guy rated it higher than the Nordost, Odin otg cable, Rhapsodio’s otg as well (yeah the 2k$ one).
It fucked with their mind so much lol.

12 Likes

Word, it’s very tricky especially since some companies don’t even put in the actual material/true bronze or silver in their so claimed “silver/bronze” cables. Maybe that’s part of the reason why I never noticed much of a difference with cables since I always just bought cheaper ones lol (or might just be placebo), but this time I got the cables from a guy who actually makes them.

But also, like you said it could be highly likely it might be placebo. I can’t imagine how they felt after dropping $2K on a cable only to find out you can’t hear much of a difference. Once I get back ima try to film a blind test video to see if there’s actually any differences, gonna cover up the cables and everything, so wish me luck :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

3 Likes

If you replace the EA1000 cable with a better one, for example DUNU hulk, you can immediately notice a difference - improvement of images, separation, stage. In some IEMs, changing the cable does not affect the sound much, but in others it is noticeable.
Copper cables really soften the sound, make it a little warmer imo.
And one more thing - I did an experiment to replace the OG cable of the DTE900 with the MELE cable and guess what the result was… DISASTROUS. So cables change the sound, but not always for the better.
As for how much they cost - I think there are diminishing returns, as is the case with IEMs. After $200, not much of a sound improvement comes , YMMV :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

A bit of a repost…
I spent some time in this rabbit hole, and have some conclusions for myself.
For like a 100 years I’ve been in the camp saying there is no difference, that has changed.
I never did and never will buy a cable expecting sound improvements, yet I did hear differences with different set ups.
I would only say, as best you can, try and shake off any expectations, ( i believe you can really get close to neutral) get yer most resolving iems, and a basic cable and some others with obvious material differences.
I kept my focus right in the middle and with super familiar male vocal tracks , that’s where it happened for me. The sound did become somewhat more dimensional, less flat and the vocal moved back slightly into the airier stage. You could have knocked me over with a feather.
Seriously need to emphasize, the heavens did not open and shine the bright light all around as if a massive miracle. But I was laughing…thinking son of gun, that shit is real.
I have a decent digital meter, but not a dedicated impedance analyzer, they all measured virtually the same. It is suggested to use a dedicated impedance analyzer, but it can be pricey.
Out of my iems, the Butastur made the difference abundantly clear, others less so but there nonetheless.
DungLe, I 100 percent agree with your post. Placebo, bias, money spent, your favorite reviewer, all can affect what we perceive. My bias was I did not believe there was a difference, but was open to the idea.
It’s already been established that for silver playback equipment , of course its sounds brighter, more neutral. The black equipment is warmer, darker, smoother… :wink:

2 Likes

nacho-libre-jack-black

@VIVIDICI_111
Everyone missed it?
Looks like a 2DD +4BA demo sample 0001…Congratz if I got it right :ok_hand:

11 Likes

Oh shiiiii!!!
Is that Jay’s new collab?:hushed:

4 Likes

Not sure yet but ya that is my prototype :grinning:

For obvious reasons the faceplate is hidden :face_with_peeking_eye:

7 Likes

Interesting interesting, thanks for sharing your experience I can’t wait to find out myself :v:

I’ll need dac/amp with a db meter/reader tho, any suggestions?

2 Likes

Classic Topping DX3 Pro?

1 Like

@VIVIDICI_111
Petition for you to get your hands on an ISN H60!

Mine is on its way and I will be doing an unfair comparison between it and OG EJ07 :joy::sunglasses:

Also got Dunu Titan S2 coming…

2 Likes

Uh oh EJ07’s got competition :joy:

@DungLe I’ll give it a shot thanks :+1:

3 Likes