JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Holy shit LOL

7 Likes

Hype 4 looks like an amazing deal, wonder how the highly anticipated Dusk 3 will fare against it?

Hoping QC issues have been fixed, Thieaudio is kind of notorious for having subpar QC

6 Likes

That is impressive, even more so when you consider Hype 4 is $130 less than the TOP.

How thicc are the nozzles? I do find Thie likes to go big with them.

4 Likes

Ya it’s a banger. Nozzle is on the bigger side compared to normal.

4 Likes

I assume that the nozzle size of H2/4/10 are the same. :unamused:

2 Likes

Dope EA1000 mod from @ZeusPro

8 Likes

Really enjoy watching your reviews BUT when you criticize other content creators in a VERY subjective hobby it makes you sound and look small, just my $0.02 from a former content creator’s perspective.

1 Like

Thanks man.

Although I don’t get, I can’t criticize a REVIEWER? That’s like saying I shouldn’t critcise Trump because politics is subjective, or anything that’s subjective. And I’m confused, Fresh is threatening me with lawsuits, but to you I’m the one who looks small? Not the bigger channel who got mad and then threw a tantrum? Not him, really? :joy: Look man, if you can’t take criticism as a REVIEWER, then you probably shouldn’t be doing it, just my $0.02.

The issue we were discussing is that the diminishing returns are so huge that you don’t need anything past the EM6L, just look at what the pros are wearing lol (bottom-tier IEMs), and Fresh knows this so that’s where his “wall-hack tier list” becomes problematic. The variables in gaming are not the same like when testing in music (same track, never changes, constant controlled environment), which is why it’s very hard to trust someone solely based on their observations because every game is different with no controlled variable for testing, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE INCENTIVE, aka you REVIEW GAMING GEAR and get a cut from it, which is fine, but you need a better testing methodology if you want to be “professional”. This is why recommending expensive gaming IEMs without a concrete/accurate/stable testing environment is problematic because there’s a lot of variables you can’t control, which is why I wanted to have a discussion surrounding the methodology, but he clearly didn’t want to and kept deflecting.

Look guys, I’m open to hearing new ideas on how to test IEMs for gaming, as well as any criticism that comes with it which will be better for the hobby as a whole.

8 Likes

What mod is this? Interested to know more about it!

3 Likes

Shoot @ZeusPro a private message, since I’m not too sure of the details (or how to do it lol).

4 Likes

Ask him to share here also, would love to try it :grin:

5 Likes

IMO, you basically only need to consider 2 major things and one minor for competitive gaming.

1. Comfort, is this comfortable to use for the many many hours of sweaty/angry gaming where you are inevitable to rage quit after being owned by a 12 year old?

2. Do you need to consider isolation and leakage because of other people around you?

3. Sound, all you really need is something to be on the leaner, cleaner, big soundstage/accurate imaging, and brighter side of things and NOT something that is dark, bad stage/imaging, bloated (slow/loose bass) nor too much bass.

What this results in, is to me only 2 possibility.

Recommended: If all 2 major aspects are fulfiled and the minor aspect (if you need isolation/leakage or not is factored in) , you are good to go.

NO: If just one of the 2 major aspects are not cleared, then it is a NO.

FYI; if its not competitive gaming, then you can scratch the sound criteria and just pick whatever tonality you enjoy the most.

9 Likes

I would say if you really wanted to test for competitive gaming doing a footstep test would be interesting, although require two people in game. One to walk around behind you and see how accurately you can pinpoint where they are

6 Likes

Great idea, but requires volume matching for sure!

2 Likes

Imo volume matching would be unnecessary and maybe bad? Hear me out.

1. this is mainly about imaging precision and in that case idk how much volume impacts that and even if it does, as long as the volume is at reachable level that is safe you should be looking for the set that is the most precise regardless of volume being evenly matched. Tonal balance is not really super important in gaming as long as you hit the criteria @Rikudou_Goku mentioned so volume matching to properly compare the full tonal balance feels unnecessary to me

2. @VIVIDICI_111 should be testing real world scenarios. If I’m wired into my Xbox controller for instance I don’t have any control over the volume so in reality a better imaging set might be worse because its too quiet coming out of the Xbox controller. On PC is won’t matter since you can use any DAC/amp but console play doesn’t have that luxury.

5 Likes

I’m on Xbox, I run digital from the tv to my j2 over to my L70. But you do make a good point about people using headphones through controller. Very much volume difference🤙

2 Likes

Yep some people have setups like that which is why it’s good to test a lot of viable scenarios. Our main TV is where I play Xbox so having a more elaborate setup like that is just not in the cards. Gotta either use Xbox wireless or wire into the jack

2 Likes

I will also rant a little bit about volume matching in general. While I feel it’s a good base to use imo people over rate it’s value. Not everyone listens at the same volume and sets scale differently with volume so reading a review where they compare two sets volume matched at 60dB is pretty useless for me since I never listen at that level. That’s one of the many reasons why I appreciate @VIVIDICI_111 testing at different volumes and calling out how sets sound at low mid and high volume.

I see volume matching as the equivalent of median in stats. While it produces a useful value, on its own it’s not super meaningful

5 Likes

@VIVIDICI_111 does do an awesome job and letting the peeps know…. How and if certain sets sound good at certain volumes. I don’t think I’ve ever really thought about how much I appreciate that!

2 Likes

Great insight, I didn’t know ya’ll used your xbox controllers as a dac/amp, that’s tough :joy: How would you rate it? :rofl:

I think when it comes to volume matching it’s just to create a consistent environment for testing, and not really to simulate the real world environment since that’s impossible. Everyone listens at different volumes so we can’t really test for that, but if we start from the same base point I do think it can help control some variables.

An interesting comment I came across: what if we take a recording of a chaotic high level gameplay (ie immortal level valorant gameplay), and use that one clip permanently for every new IEM almost like a song that never changes to test. This would help a lot with the consistency issues and controlling the variables, and makes A/Bing an IEM for gaming much easier as we can more accurately point out the differences since the “song” never changes.

Sounds like it could work, but would love to hear what others think of this!

5 Likes