JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Also there are so many different scenarios “in” game also which makes it even tougher to really nail it down.

3 Likes

I think that is smart though,taking one clip/audio from a game and testing that one single scenario with every iem. Sounds like a good idea💡

3 Likes

At. 1 - I am not a gamer, so I thought that footstep test is to see which IEM allows you detect the footsteps easier, not to locate them around, so my bad. In my scenario volume matching was necessary to see if this particular “stepping” frequency is distinguishable in the mix faster :slight_smile:

Answering the rant on volume matching - as mentioned by @VIVIDICI_111 - it is more to create a controlled test scenario. To me it is one of the few tools that we have in this subjective hobby, so that helps to make at least a part of the impressions less subjective. Try listening to the same IEM 3dB apart to see how different you perceive that :slight_smile:

However my problem with most popular volume matching method - SPL at a given frequency (1kHz most often) is that it is really not good way to get the real life loudness level same for differently tuned sets.

To see why take a look on this graph - matched at 1kHz and Twilight FR used as a reference line. As you see FatFreq is “louder” (having more energy) at basically every single frequency. That would mean that when matched at 1 particular signal frequency it would be significantly louder than Twilight and easy to measure testing real life music SPL

I always use and recommend using pink noise to volume match - not ideal, but much better altogether and more representing the real life scenario.

@VIVIDICI_111’s approach to tell how given set sounds on different volume levels also is great piece of information missing at different other reviews. :ok_hand:

Edit: corrections to make it readable and to make it make at least a bit of sense

6 Likes

Also I am a big defender of volume matching since it is my main tool/weapon on my crusade against sources and saying all of them sound same and in sources ABx it cannot be avoided :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Footsteps are not all the same though.

:joy:

5 Likes

Lol at my boomer’s ass. In my days all Enemy Territory classes sounded same on my 10$ POS headphones

4 Likes

But of course there are still games where they are all the same sound.

3 Likes

Here is the mod for EA1000:

You will need Simgot tuning kit and Black nozzles that come with EA1000. Black nozzles are brightest sounding and have the most upper mids, so they are perfect to mod.

1. Put 500 mesh filter on the black nozzles.
  2. Replace the gray sponge foam inside the nozzles with the black sponge foam
  3. That’s all :slight_smile:

More mods can be done to bring down the 5-8kHz area if you are sensitive. Above is an easy, takes 1 min, reversible mod that makes EA1000 sound more balanced.

14 Likes

That is interesting! Would the goal be pure ability to separate sound. One challenge with reviewing for gaming is the goals can be different. Solo gaming/RPG goals are probably purely soundstage and immersion, fps are likely more to focus on minute detail such as footsteps and gunfire. Things like overwatch and LoL may be ability to separate highly chaotic sounds.

I agree with this and I also agree that volume matching is a valuable tool, just that most reviews volume match at a freq and with one dB setting. I believe nymz was doing ~60dB at 400Hz for instance.

I think pink noise volume matching at ~60/73/85 would give a better overall picture to compare to

2 Likes

Guess you could use a hide-and-seek method to see how accurate you can pin point someone´s position with just sound. Have a player hide somewhere and like, jump frequently and then you need to search for them. :joy:

I would say that genres like MOBA, sound is not needed.

2 Likes

The movie Extraction has a good scene with some foot steps behind you. It’s when Hemsworth is looking for the bad guy on the first floor of this apartment building.

1 Like

@VIVIDICI_111 Speaking of gaming transducers, I just got this neckband speaker.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005255019124.html

And honestly this might be the best type of transducer for gaming useage, it feels like you are wearing speakers on your neck. Crazy big stage that is all around you.

Reminds me of the Yuin G2A tuning to me, mid-bass focused but very good texture but a bit too much upper-mids to me. Sub-bass though is shit on this (worse than the koss ksc75), so definitely not gonna use it much for any music with sub-bass but works pretty well for classical/ost.

Im 60-70% sure I will end up buying a higher tier neckband speaker. (Monster Boomerang)

5 Likes

Yo that actually seems legit - any rec for the high tier one? Is the monster one the best or?

From my research it looks like the Monster boomerang is the best until perhaps the Sony SRS-NS7. But that sony costs a LOT more and I have not seen any direct comments about those 2, just that I HOPE it is better being that much more expensive.

1 Like

Well, good thing amazon has a nice return policy now don’t they :wink:

I grabbed the Panasonic Slayer (for gaming apparently) and the Monster to A/B. Heard the Sony’s lacked front staging and low-end, so we’ll see.

2 Likes

Awesome! Will wait for you to be the guinea pig instead I guess. :joy:

That Slayer actually has 2 active drivers on each side it seems, rather than a DD + PR. Definitely curious on which sounds better. I am guessing that the Monster should have better bass quantity and extension though.

2 Likes

Keeping expectations low lol :joy:

If these can be even kinda good, I’d wear them for gaming instead

Yes it is what I did for my purchase, I expected it to be smartphone tier, or laptop tier at most. :rofl:

I DO hope they are better than mine, if they are, I would do that.
Just kinda unsure on how high the ceiling for sq is on these types of transducers.

2 Likes

I hope it can be at least as good as the M1 mac’s or better… :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

ALright guys, it’s time to try KZ’s new LEGENDARY 3DD IEM (Polaris looks decent as well)

7 Likes