JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Great vid Jay🤙

6 Likes

Can I ask a question?! Why does any of this matter to you? I’m genuinely curious

Because I love audio and this is my community, and I care what happens to it and where it goes.

20 Likes

That’s fair enough. Good day to you sir

4 Likes

Just caught up on your recent video.

You was spitting, bro. You was spitting truth!

8 Likes

Supa hot fiya

3 Likes

Ladies and gentleman, allow me to introduce you to the king of sound

:grinning: :frog:

6 Likes

Jay is Crin confirmed :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

9 Likes

SO, it’s BASS time… and let’s just say some of y’all aren’t ready for these.

Even though both the HBB HADES and the Scarlet Mini have a crap ton of bass, both of them sound completely different from one another, especially in the upper regions. Starting with new HADES - these are made for high volume blasting. For the graph readers out there you might think it sounds atrocious, “I mean just look at that uppermid and treble roll-off Jay!”, and ya you’d be correct the treble is definitely rolled off… BUT - the point of the Hades is for those who want to hear only the BASS, and a lot of it.

HBB HADES:

These are made for bassheads who blast their music to the moon, which is why the uppermids and treble needs to be cut or else #1, it sounds too sharp at higher volumes, meaning you can’t fully blast these without some form of sharpness, and #2 it allows the low-end to be more forward and take over the rest of the frequency, and gives you that immersion. The Hades is definitely not balanced. For the harman/df lovers, look away. At mid-volume the vocals and treble are noticeably drowned out, I would not recommend these for any vocals or classical tracks, no indie, no KPOP, it simply will feel like you’re listening to your music underwater or through a can.

However, at higher volumes the vocals and treble become more “normal”, still in the background, definitely not as open, airy, or detailed, but it’s passable now since the main purpose of this tuning is to bring forth the low-end and really let that bass slam, and oh boy does it slam. Again, it’s not an all-rounder by any means, the Hades is a very niche IEM made for those same people who blast their bass so loud it shakes their car… In other words, if you want bass, and only bass, then these will smack your brains out because it pretty much pushes back all the other frequencies and only focuses on the low-end.

I found them great for hiphop and rock at high volume, or anything with a lot of low-end, again mid-volume I wouldn’t recommend it, but crank it up, and just have fun with it, it’s not that deep. Tuning wise it’s warm and dark leaning, the impact is heavy, very authoritative, and you can feel the rumble in your chest kind of like a sub-woofer, but obviously not as good - it’s basically like a cheap car subwoofer, and for $40, I’m cool with it. Now, the control and decay is definitely not as good as the Scarlet Minis, it’s a very dirty type of bass, kind of like eating a double big mac with large fries, apple pies and a mcflurry.

You definitely feel the mid-bass bleeding and taking over the rest of the sound, vocals are colored 100%, very husky and pushed back, feels congested and treble extension is simply not there if you’re not cranking these, I mean even if you are they’re still missing that extension and openness, but again, that’s not the point of the HADES. My guess is that HBB, or Chris made these for the low-end to be super forward, in your face kind of presentation, and if you just want low-end, you know shut off your brain and let the bass blast your brains out kind of things, then you’ll be ok with the rest of the FR because, BASS. But If you’re a balanced kinda guy or like a clean or airy sound, then ya these aren’t for you, the Hades are simply made for a different use case.

SCARLET MINI:

On the other hand, the Scarlet Minis pulls off the somewhat balanced but still shit ton of bass sound signature pretty well. The treble extension and midrange is a lot better compared to the Hades, as it cuts through the sub-bass even with it having a 20db bass-shelf. And the reason it works is because the mid-bass is very well-controlled and much tamer than the HADES. The bass notes decay faster and doesn’t linger as long which allows the Scarlet to still have a somewhat natural vocal presentation, it’s by no means a vocal or treblehead set, not super airy or anything like that, but the rest of the FR does enough to not let the sub-bass completely drown out the sound (for the most part). Versus the Maestro minis, the Scarlet is basically that but with even more sub-bass and more of a low-end forward approach as the uppermids are tamer which shifts the overall focus onto the sub-bass region, and that extra 5dbs of bass really separates the Scarlets apart from the Maestro minis. There’s definitely less uppermids “fatigue” with the Scarlets as some have noticed on the Maestros, and the Scarlets do scale better.

The way I see it is the Maestros minis are more acceptable for most “bassheads” as it has a similar amount of bass as the Legatos, which is a nice bassy set, but not SUPER SUPER basshead I would say; Whereas the Scarlet is really for those bassheads that can handle that extra amount and enjoys getting their ears destroyed, a much funner listening experience without sacrificing too much of the vocals and treble. Then as for the HADES, these are for those at the bottom of the iceberg - the people who’ll do anything to get more low-end, they don’t care about the vocals or the treble all they want is, BASS.

In-terms of scaling the Hades will be much better, you can’t really crank the Scarlets or the Maestro minis as high without bumping into some sharpness, again great mid to slightly high volume sets, and slam wise the Hades also slams a lot harder in the mid-bass when it comes to drums and bass guitars because it just has more mid-bass, and the overall sound feels fuller, heavier, and warmer on the HADES. However, I found on some tracks the monster sub-bass on the Scarlet can get too much and kind of distort and bleed into the vocals. This issue wasn’t as prominent at mid-volume or with the Maestro minis, but depending on the song and volume the vocals will run into some distortion on the Scarlets.

So if you’re a balanced kinda guy and doesn’t listen at concert levels, then the Maestros will sound much more natural or “normal”, and again, the Maestro minis would be the better set for most “bassheads” because the low-end isn’t as overbearing, great at mid-volume, you get a crap ton of sub-bass rumble and texture, vocals and treble are still there and you can still enjoy most of your library. On the other hand if you can handle and want more sub-bass, then the Scarlets pretty do the same but just more of it and less sharp… and if you’re in too deep in the bass game, you know you’re at the bottom of the hole begging for more bass, then that’s where the HADES will meet you as Hades literally means the god of the underworld.

HADES vs ROSEFINCH

As for some comparisons the KBEAR Rosefinch is also still a good option, it’s like the HADES but not as dark, the vocals aren’t as buried and just overall more audible. Now, the tradeoff is the low-end isn’t as forward as the Hades because the Hades have a darker treble which tilts the focus onto the low-end more, and overall it just doesn’t scale as well as the Hades, and personally if I’m already in that deep, I might as well just take all the bass I can get. Quality wise, they’re both pretty similar, both do get muddy sometimes, not recommended for busier tracks, again, bass only.

HADES vs BLON Z300/QKZ HBB

And versus some other sets that are less basshead but still bassy like the BLON Z300, QKZ HBB - those 2 are obviously not gonna slam your brains out like the Hades, the Rosefinch, or even the Fatfreq stuff - the Z300 and QKZ HBB are warm bassy sets, the bass is good, but not quite basshead levels, there’s just less of it, quality is the same, not as bloated, it’s more “balanced”, still warm and colored but vocals are more evident, and it’s more palatable to most people as the extension in the treble is better, and just overall leans into that warm-musical tuning vs strictly BASS.

All in all the Hades gets a recommended, and also NOT recommend depending on your preference, and the Scarlet Minis gets a half-rec if you want the most bass with that cleanish sub-bass focused style. But really comes down to 3 pathways if you’re a basshead:

BASSHEAD UPGRADE PATHWAYS:

#1 If you like that deep sub-bass rumble, but don’t want it coloring the rest of the frequency then get the Legato and then save up for either the Maestro Minis (which is pretty much a direct upgrade to the Legatos), or the Scarlet minis if you want even more sub-bass than the Maestros. And if you don’t have the cash for the Legato you can also go for the OG truthear Zero, the HBB Khan, or any tuning with a sub-bass boosted scoop.

#2 If you like bassy and warmer signatures then start off with the QKZ HBB or Blon Z300 and save up for the ZIIGAAT Doscinco - you really don’t need anything past that imo it’s pretty much “endgame” warm set for the vast majority of people (anything in-between would be a waste of money).

Then #3, if you only want bass and the most bass, so you don’t care about the vocals, treble, or a balanced sound, like you’re literally just here to get destroyed by the low-end, then go straight for the HBB HADES, crank those babies way up, and have a fun time ( the Rosefinch works as well and would work better if you listen at mid-volume).

As for the grand maestro, in-terms of bass quality, control, decay, the vocals, treble extension and overall refinement and balance, ya it’s the best out of all the other bass sets I’ve heard, but the diminishing returns are ASTRONOMICAL. Imo it’s not worth it as a “basshead” set because there’s just not enough bass to be “basshead”, like don’t get me wrong it’s got a good amount of low-end, more of a sub-bass boosted diffuse field than all the other FATfreq basshead sets, but, it’s not going to be as satisfying for bassheads as the cheaper sets, definitely much better in the technicalities - just needs more bass to pass as a basshead.

Anyways, I hope this guide was helpful, and thanks for reading :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Old school rap like Grand master Flash and the furios 5 sound great on the hades

2 Likes

IT’S CINCOTRES TIME BABY

So, these are awesome for the price - I like them better than the Doscincos; the cincotres has a clean, slightly energetic and bassy sound, and it’s what the Variations should’ve been imo. Similar to the Variations it’s also got a scoop, but the difference this time is that #1 the scoop is smaller, and #2 it happens a lot later and doesn’t affect the rhythmic section, and with the increased mid-bass over the Variations on top of the smaller scoop and delay the low-end now feels more natural and not thin unlike the variation.

In-terms of the sub-woofer like affect the Variation still does that better because not only is the scoop bigger which gives it more room and space for the contrast, but it’s just also got more sub-bas extension. But even if that’s the case the Cincotres overall just feels more natural, fuller, not as thin in the vocals and drum section, not as airy and resolving as the Variations either, but tonality wise I like these a lot more, they’re just way more musical, and 2x cheaper. I wouldn’t have recommended the Variations for rock or hiphop due to the scoop, but the Cincotres on the hand is solid for those genres, actually it’s just solid in general as an all-rounder.

vs THIEAUDIO HYPE 2

I would take these over the Hype 2 as the best all-rounder under $300, the Hype 2 is a little cleaner and more airy than the Cincotres, but the low-end impact, texture, and vocals are better on the Cincotres whereas the vocals on the Hype 2 doesn’t feel as powerful, and they’re more light and laid back. The cincotres overall just feels more energetic and engaging because of the extra bass which is well-controlled (not basshead or anything), but still fun and more than satisfying enough for non-bassheads, the attack and decay is solid.

vs Simgot EA1000/EA500LM

Now versus the EA1000 and LM, both of those have a more gradual bass-glide so no scoop or anything like that which makes the contrast in the low-end with other frequency not as obvious. The Simgots are more clean and bright, not as bassy and “fun”, more sparkly you could say, and tech wise they’re around the same with the only difference being in the air and treble detail where the Simgots will do those better and you can hear the highs more clearly. But I do want to point out that there are some unit variations with the Simgots, I was looking at some different graphs the other day and some of the fermats and LM graphs brighter than mine, which makes sense now why some people say it’s too energetic, because well, unit variation, thank you chifi.

Vocals are smoother on the Cincotres vs the Simgots with a tamer 4-8K region which I know some of you guys will love, but the gain is still your normal harman/df ear gain, which means no scoops, good extension and an open normal distance presentation. However, even though ZIIGAAT tamed the 4-8K, some of you guys might find the peak at around 8-10K to be a bit much. The 8-10K boost does highlight the cymbals very well, they slightly jump out from the rest of the frequency along with the low-end, creating that fun and dynamic sound, and even though the Cincotres scales pretty good, it’s not a blast your brains out kind of set.

vs DOSCINCO

Versus its brother the Doscinco, again, I like the cincotres better, like I’m ok with warm sets, I don’t hate them, but for me it’s either gimme a crap ton of BASS, or give me insane scaling and something special like EJ07, or some type of balanced slightly bright signature. Now, the low-end is definitely feels heavier on the Doscinco, it feels more authoritative and more cohesive with the rest of the frequency because it has less dynamic contrast, no scoop or 8-10K boost to give it that fun factor, just very warm and full. The Doscinco is more of your traditional warm harman, like a heavy warm blanket, whereas the Cincotres is like drinking a can of monster or red bull, but like you’re already addicted and drinking 1 can a day so it only buzzes you a little, and it only gives you a slight energy and kick to your day.

Other stuff like vocals and treble are more pronounced and clearer on the Cincotres because of the scoop, less low-end, and more extension in general, and overall tech is also better, but if you want to crank it up and like a smoother/warmer sound, then the Doscinco does scale much better, they’re more immersive with rock and hiphop.

vs Kiwi Ears QUINTET

And versus the Quintet, the Quintet’s low end is more balanced with a gradual bass-glide, the bass isn’t as punchy and rumbly as the Cincotres, but the treble is more detailed/sharper, a little bit better resolution although there was some metallic timbre on my unit, and overall not as natural and fun as Cincotres. Vocals are about the same, both norma ear gain, normal distance, but overall I’d take the Cincotres.

UPGRADE

Now, a direct upgrade to the Cincotres would be the Hype 4, or Monarch MK3s. I would personally just jump straight to the Monarchs or just stop at the Cincotres, like ya the Hype 4 is a little better in the resolution and air, but the difference is like 10-15% plus both of the sound signatures are similar. But I do think the Cincotres is a nice sidegrade for those who own the Pula, CKLVX, Hexa since those are more balanced with tamer vocal gain and the Cincotres is like funner but not too fun because most people who like a neutral-balanced sound wouldn’t typically want a IEM that’s too bassy or v-shaped.

Overall I think the Cincotres strikes that fine line of being slightly fun and different but not too different, it’s basically an adjusted diffuse field, and I think most people will like these, so ya, another solid release from ZIIGAAT. Anyways, I hope this review was helpful, thanks for reading and here is the ranking :slight_smile:

Tonality: A+/S-
Tech: A/A+
Overall: High A

25 Likes

The legend has posted!!! Hopefully my write up lives up to yours, young Jay :heart_hands:

Fantastic words as per usual, dude :muscle:

8 Likes

Thank you brother :sunglasses:

My write-up is just me rambling so I’m certain yours will be better :joy:

9 Likes

FALSE - definitely not just ramblings, I can tell you put some work into this, brother.

9 Likes

Kiwi Ears Singolo vs RED

Comes with inversed polarity

No carry pouch or case either and cable is the same as the $25 Tanchjim One 3.5, not looking good

13 Likes

Bro, no SHOT :rofl:

5 Likes

Ya no, the EA500LM runs circle around these. If you want the “scoop” just EQ because the “crossover”, aka resonator/filter isn’t doing much. First thing I noticed are the unnatural vocals on the Singolo - blunted with no air, I can audibly hear the difference in the extension and openness A/Bing them. The headstage is also cramped because of the 15K fall-off + 500hz bump caused by the resonator, aka not an actual crossover. This shit is embarrassing for $80 lol. The RED is actually better and cheaper lmao.

15 Likes

Jay, stop being such a hater. We know you have a vendetta against Crin and now you’re just being sus

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If I don’t see a meme like this in the video, I will be VERY disappointed!

9 Likes

I’m actually cheesed I bought these fml

11 Likes