JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Wow Alpha & Delta made a single DD TWS with actual subwoofer like sub-bass with no “revolutionary tech”, similar price as the Singolo too and TWS, that’s crazy (and they look dope)

Now uppermids are a bit much, but dam that sub-bass slaps, and EQ down the uppermids and these are winner winner chicken dinner

11 Likes

I remember like 8 years ago, I bought a TWS from Alpha and Delta. They were so bad, it was actually insane how bad they were.

I’m happy to see they’ve been steadily improving over the years.

5 Likes

I bought them on release after considering multiple sets and different reviews.

3 years later it’s still one of my favorite sets; I‘d take this over a U12t or MEST any day.

Even among my other sets like the Oracle or Monarch Mk3, I regularly find myself reaching for the Vari over the others.

Have you ever been scrolling through aliexpress, and you come across these lowkey brands, and thought, hmm, are these all doodoo or are they actually decent? Well today, I’ll be comparing some not so well-know IEMs to some popular brands to see how they stack up.

CADENZA 4

Starting with the new Cadenza 4 and the MYER CKLVX, (or the PULA PA02, they’re the same thing) these are going for a similar sound, both leaning towards a balanced sound signature, and both have a twist in the treble air region. The Cadenza 4 sounds very clean, balanced, and has that extra airiness towards the end notes of vocals and cymbals, very splashy and extended. Female vocals and woodwinds sound very good on the Cad 4, extended, open, detailed, very light and sweet sounding is how I would describe it.

Now, Vocals don’t feel thin, but they’re not very powerful or have enough note-weight when it comes to make vocals. The Cad 4 is very good for instrumentals like acoustic or classical, female vocals, or slow-tracks without much electronic elements - indie and ballads sound beautiful on these, but as all-rounders they lack the low-end and fullness. It just needs more bass to be an all-rounder as the low-end isn’t that impactful; the bass is well-controlled and separated but it feels light and in the background, which works for the style of sound they’re going for, but I wouldn’t recommend it for hiphop, kpop, rock, or anything that needs some low-end.

And as for the 13K peak on the Cadenza 4, it doesn’t sound as much as the graph suggests - you can still hear the boost, but it’s not shrill or shouty at mid volume. Supereviews’ unit also literally graphs like Harman 2019, so it could also just be unit variance or a potential measurement thing, but either way, if you want a reference-audiophile sound close to Harman 2019, then that would be the Cad 4.

CADENZA 4 vs MYER CKLVX

The CKLVX on the other hand also goes for a balanced sound, but it has more low-end, vocals and instruments feel fuller, and the treble gives the overall tuning an airy and dreamy layer to them. The Cad 4’s got more of a sizzle type of air to the sound, whereas the CKLVX is more smooth airy, if that makes sense. The vocal gain on the CKLVX is tamer than the Cadenza 4 and has less uppermids extension, it doesn’t feel as extended, whereas the Cadenza 4 is following Harman 2019, but with a boost in the air region.

Neither of these 2 are all-rounders persay, the Cadenza 4 sounds more resolving and detailed and better at mid-volume, but the CKLVX scales better and sounds fuller while still being airy, just not as clean and sweet as the Cad 4. Both of these don’t do too well with energetic tracks because of the treble, but for slower songs and genres they’re both great, female vocals and acoustics goes to Cad 4, whereas I’d take the CKLXV for slow-rock and alternative.

MYER SLIIVO SL41

But there is another MYER IEM that is an all-rounder, the SLIIVO SL41. It’s basically the Cadenza 4 but with more low-end and less treble. I like it more as an all-rounder because it’s fuller in the notes while still having enough extension in the uppermids and treble, it’s not as airy as both the CKLVX or the Cad 4, but it works better for more genres at the cost of not having that special sauce. Now, one potential issue with the SL41 is its vocals, the 500hz bump plus the decreased uppermids makes the SL41 more husky, less open and extended versus the Cad 4 or the Nova, not as clean and sweet with certain details missing because of the dips from 3-8K.

But I said potential because some people will prefer this sound as it’s fuller and less fatiguing in longer listening sessions, but for the harman lovers the Nova would be better, it’s better extended, less peaks, or if you had enough of the regular harman and want something different but still harman, then try the Cad 4, it’s cleaner, has more air, and sounds very sweet on slower tracks, kinda reminds me of the OG Oracles.

HISENIOR MEGA5P ULTRA

Next we have the EJ07M vs HISENIOR’S MEGA5P ULTRA, which is a 1+4. Basically, the M5P ULTRA is a mini EJ07M with more forward vocals and slightly lighter vocals due to less lower-mids. In-terms of volume the sub-bass and treble is pretty close on both, but the 07M edges the M5P Ultra out when it comes to the texture and detail, which checks out because it costs 2x more. Out of all the IEMs so far (CAD 4 & Myer stuff) the M5P Ultra would be the best all-rounder and more similar with the Chopin and Nova with the differences being in the vocals being more forward on the M5P Ultra and less uppermids.

Because the low-end is pretty clean on the M5P Ultra the vocals don’t feel as nasally even with the 1.5K bump - I wouldn’t say it’s ideal, it still feels a bit too forward and I’d personally would like less 1.5K, but you get used to it. Treble extension is solid, again no special sauce or super airy or anything, but overall the M5P ULTRA is good, it’s good… I would still take the Nova though.

The Nova just works better as an all-rounder because of the better extension and more opened vocals, I think Nova’s uppermids are fine since it’s not too much because both are mid-volume sets so it’s not like you’re blasting neither of these, plus the Nova is also cheaper with the same config. But if you find the uppermids too much on the harman iems still, then M5P Ultra is good alternative, just don’t buy it at retail.

HISENIOR T4 vs ARIA 2

Next, we got the HIESENIOR T4 vs the Aria 2, and TLDR, it’s a better Aria 2 with more tuning options. If you want more scaling boom, if you want mid-volume, boom. The T4 goes from balanced-warm to warm depending on the config, and overall, versus the Aria 2 it’s got better separation, sharper transients and resolution, but, for $199? Idk. Ok, so here’s the small issue with Hisenior IEMs, their tuning is good for the most part, but there’s just so much competition like the Nova, LM, Cincotres, all competing for the same sound signature but cheaper or better. I think the T4 and M5P Ultra can work as alternatives to those, but they should be priced more competitively around $100 to $150… aside from that, solid IEMs.

ALPHA & DELTA TWS (actual subwoofer bass looking at you SINGOLO :eyes:)

Then lastly we got the Airpods Pros vs the ALPHA & DELTA TWS IEMS, And it’s very simple, if you want bass, the Alpha & Delta wins hands down no competition, best sub-bass I’ve heard on any TWS so far, the closest would be the Samsung Galaxy Buds+, but the Alpha & Deltas are more tactile imo and just more of it in general (these guys know what they’re doing). I’ve been using them in the gym for the past 2 weeks, and I hear a big detail and clarity difference compared to my 1st and 2nd gen Airpod Pros.

The KS100 comes in two configurations, one is a single DD, one is 1DD + 1BA, both sound the same with a slight difference in the air on the hybrid (more). They both follow a diffuse field type of sound but more energetic because A&D boosted the sub-bass and uppermids, which sounds great for the gym when you’re trying to hit a PR. Now, the uppermids can be shouty at times and it’s definitely not as smooth as the Galaxy buds +, but throw on some mesh filters and you’re good to go, or EQ down the 4K by 3.5dbs.

Because in-terms of sub-bass in an TWS, these are the best under $100 or probably even more; the bass texture is really good for a TWS, and for more than half the price at $90 versus the AirPods Pros and Galaxy stuff, these are no brainers - this is what the Singolo should’ve been… You’re telling me A&D made a subwoofer in a TWS with no “revolutionary” bs tech, but Crin and Kiwiears couldn’t do the same thing wired with a “revolutionary tech”? That’s crazy, this is what a subwoofer should sound like in an IEM.

Now, you do miss out on some convenience features like active noise cancelling and transparency mode, and the controls aren’t the best, it’s tap to play/pause, and sometimes it would pause when I try to adjust it, a bit annoying, but battery life is solid, design looks slick, the case is sturdy made out of metal, and if you’re looking for the best TWS bass under $100, these are it, great for the gym, and if you got EQ, no brainer.

Anyways, hope this was helpful, thanks for reading :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Good impressions well done.

2 Likes

Nice one. I actually dislike Sharur even more after this video, since it proved to me that he actually is a very insightful and smart person, but je just consciously chooses this very controversial takes as a way of communication.

@Rikudou_Goku - you are famous for your disbelief in inverted polarity being audible. I don’t hear that as well on my blind tests (as my hearing ability is absolute trash), but I would really like to as it makes to me so much more sense than sources making a difference :clown_face:

11 Likes

Is that even possible with how much of a troll he already is? :laughing:

2 Likes

Tried this since it is interesting and easy to try. While I would like to think I heard an undefined difference, I do not think I really did. This is an easy thing to blind test if there is two or more people present. That will eliminate the possibility of hearing differences when you know the answer.

1 Like

This is the software for abx. You put 2 files one with inverted polarity, one with normal, set the number of reps and then try your ears. Reversing polarity can be done in audacity for example
On a very large sample I had literally 50% of corrext answers - love statistics and regression to the mean :heart:

3 Likes

Click bait…just don’t touch his shit…all you are doing is feeding his ass

and don’t ever leave a comment…the 'tube counts everything

he makes a ridiculous comment and people just can’t help it and respond…cha ching…sittin there sippin his soda and laughing at people

P.T. Barnum said it best…" the worst publicity is no publicity at all "…and this shithead is good at it

7 Likes

I just did a quick test with a song I’m not familiar with, aka it’s literally my first time hearing it, and I got a confidence rating of 94%

The differences are very subtle, but I think most people can’t tell because they never trained to. I actually started the Harman Band Training recently and it helps a lot in picking out the minor differences between frequencies. I think if you get to LV.8 for peaks and dips combined (on the Harman Band Training) with a confidence around 80% then you should be able to hear it. Ideally, I’d like to get to 99%, but I recently just started so maybe later lol.

Note that I’m not “fully” harman trained yet, or LV. 8+ on peaks/dips combined and I can already hear the difference, although sublte (I got to LV. 9 peaks alone, and LV. 8 dips alone, but not combined at once yet).

7 Likes

Fuck a gym we going to the pinna practice center

5 Likes

Both bro, PR at the gym and harman rofl

Time to hit 3 plates on bench today :joy:

7 Likes

Who gonna do it for science:

2 Likes

This is my next iem I’ve been given to review. So I feel ya.

3 Likes

Looks like some rosetech , reecho, or celest stuff lol

1 Like

10 Likes

tl;dr
@VIVIDICI_111 how does the size and fit compare to the Nova and EM6L?

I’ve been going back and forth between either picking up the Pula PA02, the Truthear Nova or the EA500LM. One of the things that concerned me the most was the size and fit. I’ve tested the Nova and the EM6L (which I think has the same shell as the EA500ML). The Nova is comfy but the shell of this IEM sticks out too much compared to the EM6L. Now, how does the size and fit of the Pula PA02 compare to the Nova and EM6L?

I know that @ToneDeafMonk mentioned that the shell is pretty big, but how big…

Sound wise I prefer a slightly warm size and emphasis on the bass. For comparison, one of my favourite headphone is the HD6XX with EQ.

If I were to rank it in size from biggest to smallest:

Nova>Pula>EM6L/EA500LM

If you like something warmer then you should save up for the ZIIGAAT Doscinco (around EM6L size)

1 Like

Damn, another one to listen to! I will check out your review of them. Are they worth 130$-150$ extra (I live in Canada)?

2 Likes