Jaytiss Reviews and Ranking

5 Likes

@Dan_X hi. Early impressions of the Mega5EST are positive. I think itā€™s an enjoyable all rounder with safe treble for those that are sensitive. Iā€™ll be posting my review later today, at least Iā€™m hoping to have it done. Iā€™ll post some impressions here as well.

5 Likes

Thanks for letting me know Jay.

I was concerned as I saw your comment on your ranking sheet say something along the lines of a bad implementation of est drivers.

I look forward to your review.

2 Likes

Is this the new retuned version?

2 Likes

It is. Itā€™s the new set.

2 Likes

The unit you reviewed was also the newer version, right? I know you werenā€™t impressed with it.

Ever since listenerā€™s review on headphone,com Iā€™ve been fascinated by it.m and close to pulling the trigger.

1 Like

I like it. Review should be up soon.

1 Like

Our whole group thought it was the worst IEM from HS we listened to.
Bass was muddy and soft and tip end sounded disconnected?

Kevin bought that one , I bought the Okavango and Bennet bought the T4
The cheapest turned out to be the best for all of us and led me to discover the ABV system and so I bought a CIEM T4 because I canā€™t take the driver pressure stock non vented.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/WQUWrLaHPH0 I really like it!

1 Like

Were you around back in the old Hisenior era?

^ that one was quite famous for its niche n-shaped tuning back around 2019 iirc.

(they had quite a few sets back then.)

2 Likes

Wow ouch N for NOPE!

2 Likes

They were quite special back then, we didnt have the billions of Aria/harman-clones out like we do now and most stuff was very very bad.

2 Likes
1 Like

Hehe, got these in 2019. They felt crippled, with not that bad lows and mids (for my 2019 expirience) they had pretty sad highs. If my memory doesnā€™t fail me, their signature felt rather dark and hadnā€™t felt as LF-less as the squig shows. Hereā€™s the graph HS promoted back then:

Using B5+ for edm and pop music was actually ok, but for metal genres or any HF loaded tracks it was a disaster.

They were meant as a set aimed at vocals specifically. So those genres you mentioned are a big no.

The NuForce Primo8 might have been (by ear not sure of graph) the IEM that most made me think ā€œis this only mids?

6 Likes

First!
ahhh sh*t wrong platform
Love your grounded reviews all the same :heart:

The treble response on LM certainly looks preferable to the EM6L and personally, prefer the metal shell where I can get them.

2 Likes

I get a lot of stuff across my desk. Price is a funny thing. You expect a 1000-dollar iem to sound a certain way, but then you realize so much is dependent on the tuning, not the drivers, or price but how an iem is tuned. Many iems that I hear have a deadness inside of them, that match a frequency response but offer nothing remarkable on any track other than sounding neutral and acceptable. This iem is not dead, it has a liveliness that I fully enjoy an was impressed with on the first listen and am fully enjoying this while I write this review!

Song Choice: Tidal list here:

I listen to a wide variety of music. I pick the songs because of various reasons. But I picture myself locked away like Andy Dufresne from Shawshank blasting music and shut off from the world. Itā€™s a blissful image.

The Marriage of Figaro -The opera song from Shawshank Redemption, terrible recording but fun and gets me in the mood to listen to music.

O mio Babino caro -This is a modern less operatic version but a song with great female vocals.

Video Rigoletto - ā€œLa donna e mobileā€ Sung by one of the three Tenors, great song for high-performing male vocals. Pavarotti is the greatest classic singer maybe ever. Fight me!

Iron man - The sound at the beginning is hard to make sound great, great drums, and cymbals, and if done right it feels like an old-school band.

I Will Survive (1981 recording, I like her voice, and the old vocals, the drums, and various natural instruments really make this a favorite for me.

There is a light That never goes out - Smiths ( A classic, I just love it. Itā€™s mellow, and I can tell a lot of the tuning if this song is done right.)

Jump (I like how the sound effects are in this!)

Star Child Someone recommended this song to me, and I like how funky it sounds and has nice vocals and a mix of music and things going on.

Dicke Titten Ramstein The beginning is amazing and the bass hits hard. Great song. I love rock and metal. The German language fascinates me

Master of Puppets: Very fast song. Helps me determine if the driver can keep up.

Song impressions:

Worship at 0:31 has a really nice vocals, that sound airy and majestic, nothing at this price should sound this nice. Just wow, great sense of space and air.

Ari Abdul

Drums in Firestarter around :35-:40 sound Tinny and unrealistic

Kids by Sam Smith

This song is very majestic and lovely :30

Do you even think about it? So good, vocals are so nice and fine.

This is a newer version of my 10 favorite songs that also work for audiofile music.

This is a copy of a bunch of good audiofile music. Some are on my favorites, but all are great to test headphone tracks. (70+)

This is my favorite overall music. 300+ songs (needs to be edited a bit)

Bass (20-60 Sub Bass, 60-250 Hz Mid Bass)

The details of the bass is strong dynamic and punchie. Itā€™s like I can feel the bass and for a set this price or any price that is a fun experience. I feel vibrations it seems through the shell and the bass quality is really strong in this set. It hits so very hard and the dynamics and the quality of the bass on this set is just wow. Extremely impressive.

Midrange (250 HZ to 800 HZ Low Mids, 600-200 Hz Mids, 2000-5000Hz Upper Mids)

The timber and tone is great on this iem, it has energetic vocals, but I like that for the music that I generally listen to for fun. Yet in some genres the spikes could come across a bit harsh to others. Vocals are very forward, and fun and energetic. The mids on this set are pretty good, but the upper mids are a bit too much for my taking and I wisht they were recessed a tiny bit.

Treble (5000- 10000 Trebble/Highs, 10000 ++ HZ Upper Trebble & Air)

The treble of this set is itā€™s weakest point. I do find it a bit lacking in the air region and things sound a bit off. Yet Iā€™m being critical. This set is fully enjoyable and unique and musical.

Gaming

Gaming is great on this iem, it has good detail for the price and nice bass quality so explosions and call outs are easy with this set. I think this is a great set for gamers or for gifts as it is super fun-looking, has a nice package, and could be a great option for gamers who want an inexpensive set that has great sonic qualities.

Shell -

The shell is pretty, it fits great and it comes in three colors. It feels pretty great in ear.

Case- The case isnā€™t something that I would use. But at this price to have a case is huge! Iā€™ve seen 100-dollar iems with no case. Cases to me are very important and something to consider. Itā€™s a nice thing to have, and is acceptable.

Cable- The cable comes normally in 4.4 mm connection. I requested a 3.5 and they delivered with no issue. This is an exceptional cable, and it feels great on the skin. This is easily my favorite cable that Iā€™ve ever used.

Tip Selection - I was pleasantly surprised with the tip selection! I really enjoyed them.

Graph:

Recommended EQ: I use Peace APO to EQ on the PC. This EQ is done to my preference.

Overall this is an amazing iem that could easily be a game for most. The goal for me with an iem is to have an that doesnā€™t need EQ.

Preamp: -8.3 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 2.000

Filter 2: ON PK Fc 120 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 0.900

Filter 3: ON PK Fc 560 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 0.700

Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain -6.8 dB Q 1.600

Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2700 Hz Gain 2.6 dB Q 2.000

Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain -4.5 dB Q 2.000

Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5100 Hz Gain 8.7 dB Q 1.900

Filter 8: ON PK Fc 8600 Hz Gain -12.0 dB Q 2.000

Filter 9: ON PK Fc 11000 Hz Gain 9.2 dB Q 2.000

Filter 10: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain 3.7 dB Q 0.500

I think the db2 can benefit from eq.

Gifting/who is it for: I think this is a nice hifi iem to gift to someone, it looks amazing, and has a great package. This is important as many non audiophiles this is the most important thing. It has impressive tonal balance for the price and great vocals. Itā€™s priced at a point where I think itā€™s an easy win for those that want a fun set. In comparison to other sets out there that are more neutral and packaged worse, I dontā€™ see how this is a bad thing at all.

Go to NiceHCK and buy a fancy cable for yourself, get a nice gift of an iem that is exceptionally packaged and an easy gift to give to anyone on your list. Or just buy it if this is the only set that you can afford, I think itā€™s a treasure.

Pairing: I used a Quidelix 5k for mobile, my dongle Dac iBasso DC04 for my laptop, and my JDS labs Atom 2 amp my Desktop PC. I also tried the iem briefly on the Apple dongle as well. This iem had no issues being driven. Typically I only find overears to really have a hard time being driven and maybe some planar iems.

Summary-

I think this is a great little set. Itā€™s packaged well but has some minor issues with tuning, yet is a fun engaging set that grabbed my attention on the first go. I think the issue is that times all sets go for a linear boring tuning this set achieves a fun engaging tuning for a price that is nothing less than remarkable. While personally, I think the NiceHCK F1 pro is a little more worth the price if you can afford it, I would recommend that set if you have the money. But as far as for those who dontā€™ have the extra money or for those who need a gift set to give to a friend, this is a remarkably fun bassy set that doesnā€™t disappoint. I like this set. I donā€™t think itā€™s perfect, but in a world of sub 200 mostly sounding neutral and dull, this is a vocal fun set that cracks and lets me fully enjoy the music.

Thanks for reading, and maybe even watching. . Any feedback is welcome.

11 Likes

2k to 2.7k is almost a 10db riseā€¦ Ouch :grin:

people say F1 pro is sibilant?

1 Like