JDS Labs Atom DAC

That Heresy for sure is a beast for the price. Compare to THX 888 3-4 times the price.

Here’s to my ear is just as good maybe better. Archel 2.5 is about half price. Just as good or better.

What can you get in the $200-300 range that is a noticeably better upgrade than the heresy or Archel2.5

Random one I’m throwing in. How much more do you think it would cost to get noticeably better sound over the RNHP.

I know you can get better sound at higher prices, but I still believe you have to dig deep to get a substantially better sound.

I’m taking substantially better than the Heresy and Archel 2.5

Perhaps the asgard 3 but it really depends on the headphones, I personally really like the 2.5 for the price, I don’t really think something is substantially better unless you buy a higher end amp used then I guess something could be substantially better

You would most likely be looking in the 1k or higher range for an amp with better quality, but again the pairing matters too

I agree, that’s the point I was trying to make though. $100-200 can take you pretty far today when it comes to amps… well solid state at least.

You really have to start looking a bit higher in the price bracket before you get that “ Oh wow” moment

And cheaper amps can sound better than some of the more expensive options, you have to kind of jump the middle ground and go up higher

IMO

I get that, but I just wonder where the beating out 3-4 times their price amps thing comes in, there are more just holes in the market where you have to make larger leaps

Could you perhaps name a few for reference? (just wondering) I have a few that I can feel somewhat fit, but tbh not many audio products really beat out others unless they are hugely higher tier, they moreso set the standard for the price bracket

1 Like

I guess a prime example (and this can be personal preference) is again the Heresy at $100 it sounds just as good or maybe even a little cleaner when compared to the THX888. It is $289now, the drop THX 789 is $400.

If I know what I know now, I’d skip the thx and get the Heresy which is more than 50% less than the 888 and its 300% less than the Drop.

Put that In perspective 300% cheaper
The drop cost 4 times the price.
The Smsl cost 2.8 times the price.

The Archel 2.5 is more natural. $179
The Heresy more analytical $100

The RNHP - noticeably better than all of the above… again in my opinion.

What I’m saying buy at the $100ish price point. Skip most of the of the $200-400 price point (unless you find a deal) then jump back in at the $500 if you know someone like yourself that can point out gems like the RNHP

Then to your point you almost have to jump out again until around that 1k range.

That means the $100 amp is jumping a lot of other amps in the $200-500 range. And the $500 amp is jumping most amps until the 1k range. (Meaning you can buy cheaper amp that sound better or on par with more expensive amps)

I’m a prime example of buying and trying. Along with the units we get for review as well.

(I’m just saying in my experience, you have more experience though so it might just sound like I’m talking out of my butt) lol

Nah what you say is pretty accurate, I def agree on skipping the thx stuff for one lol, you are right that the budget stuff makes a fair amount of sense over some of the more expensive offerings.

I do think there are good amps in the 200 range like the archel 2.5 and asgard 3 that I think are a smaller step above (or larger depending on the headphones) in the 200 range that are worth it, but I do think skipping the 300-400/500 range is worth it to jump up to stuff like the rnhp or cayin iha6 and hybrids like the liquid platinum or tube amps and then higher on. IMO as long as you have a solid foundation you are just fine until you reach the above the 1k point with headphones, where they start getting more picky and really like the higher quality amplification.

Tube amps are a bit different though, I think they start around 200 and there are good offerings as you go up where there isn’t a huge hole like solid state

1 Like

I saw a piece of advice on another board that I mostly agree with, generally if you’re spending just a bit more, it’s going to be more of a side grade or change in signature rather than a real upgrade.
The THX stuff is well priced given the power output, but most people don’t really need it. Hell I’d argue even the Asgard 2 is more power than most people will really need.
From the reports here the RNHP @ $500 is a real upgrade in sound over the $100 high performers and the THX, though with the latter coming at a cost of power. I would also consider amps like the Liquid Platinum to be a similar obviously better step up, with the caveat it has a particular flavor.
To improve on amps in that price tier you’re probably in the $1000+ range and you probably ought to be spending at least 2x that on headphones before you upgrade the amp.

It depends on the headphones but I agree

Confirmed

Source: JDS Labs Blog

2 Likes

Lets gooo, a clean atom stack will be sick

1 Like

Yes it will!

New forum rule: Atom amp + Atom DAC stack shall henceforth be referred to as “Diatomic Stack”

:grinning:

2 Likes

no…the stack would be called an Atom Bomb! :smiley:

1 Like

I bought a d10 literally yesterday lol

I wouldn’t worry about it lol, the d10 is damn solid

1 Like

I’d be upset if I had an atom though lol

Also, there is no ETA. I’m just speculating, but if JDS Labs goes by a yearly release schedule:

Nov 2018 - Atom
Nov 2019 - Element II/El II Stack
Nov 2020 - Atom DAC ???

Also the Chicago Can Jam is late October so I would think they would try to have everything set for that that since it’s a relatively close proximity for them.

2 Likes

Frank just doesn’t want his awesome 3d printed Atom stacking Khadas Tone board case to obsolete so soon!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Its funny, I was researching how much to list the Atom for sale and I got curious if the DAC will be for real.

1 Like