Just ordered the NAD HP-50's

I get it. That’s kinda what I meant, in the fact that they are going to at least get to what they can

Also not the greatest fan of the harman target so I think I’ll just keep my 770 the way it is lol

2 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

does the Harman curve have anything to do with providing soundstage or imaging?

Not really, more perceived loudness

also interesting…the K371’s aren’t available in Canada. AKG’s site doesn’t ship to Canada…and BHPhoto has them restricted to US only addresses. quite interesting.

I really trust Rtings. Just looking at the graph I’d say HP50s sound neutral but a bit mid-focused. So, damn smooth is my guess.

So you’d be happy with Audeze-type upper mids? Nice! Wish I had your hearing. At my age, and given the loudness I listen at, I want HD 600 upper mids, at a minimum.

I wouldn’t say smooth. They have a bit of a studio monitor sound

1 Like

well, my view of the harman target was shaped by the Nuemanns NDH20. It had a muffed sound that i hate in a headphone that some call “dark”. I heard these had been tuned to the harman target. I also here keywords like “professional”, “mixing headphones”, “work headphones”, “warm”, “relaxed”. Ugh.

I want a headphone that is “neutral” and by “neutral” i mean a flat frequency. not too much bass, not too much treble, equal amount of midrange. I got the Sendy Aiva’s and they have too much bass, treble and not enough midrange. I got some Velour pads in the hope it will help.

Sorry i’m a nuub so i dont know much about which version of harman target. I’m just trying to grasp this stuff. I’m tempted to try these Hp50’s just to find out what you guys are talking about. but i dont think i’ll like them. Z reviewed them as being “relaxed”, Ew. bad keyword.

If you want a flat enjoyable closed back, the elegia might be more up your alley

And yet the one graph we have (so far as I know) for the NDH20 says the opposite:
NDH20%20raw
The graph agrees with your reportage when you received your pair. Frankly, having seen the graph, I was impressed with your analysis of what you were hearing.

The broad green curve on the graph is the most recent Harman target. The orange curve is how this particular pair of Neumanns measured. Graphs are no more infallible than humans, but in this case this one raised a red flag.

When I look at this graph, this is what I see:

1. The graph shows an elevated bass on the left because the orange line is above the green line there.
  2. It shows a downward slope to the orange line in the middle, instead of the upward slope of the green line. This indicates recessed middle mids.
  3. Then the orange line sags 'way below the green line in the left half of the right side. This means recessed upper-mids.
  4. The treble on the far right looks good.

All this very much agrees with what you wrote about what you heard. It’s the graph of a bass-head’s delight, not of a neutral headphone. If instead the orange line had followed the green line more closely, that would have been a thumbs-up for the Neumanns and would have indicated they indeed have a Harman-like frequency response.

Again, a good-looking FR graph is no guarantee of good sound. It’s just another tool for trying to avoid purchase disappointments.

1 Like

well i was waiting for another Drop Focal Elex run as per your suggestion Mon lol. I like a more forward soundstage and you said the Elex had that. Though i dont know how im gonna get the money to buy them.

1 Like

By the way: 139$CAD + free shipping on eBay.

my big red goNAD’s have arrived. it’s a bit weird though…they hang on my head not my… :rofl:

well, they’re warmish…but I seem to be suffering from treble peaks…I’ve even dropped the volume and I’m suffering. they seem to be very efficient though, I had to half my system volume compared to what I had for the Koss KPH30i’s.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! I’d be curious to hear what happens if you put a few ply of toilet paper in the ear cups. Does that help tame the treble spikes?

For those who care about such things, The Rtings, InnerFidelity and Oratory1990 measurements for this headphone are totally different from each other. Marzipan’s description of warmish with treble peaks seems to point to the Oratory measurements as being more accurate in this case.

I don’t think I could put the tp in…my ears are almost resting on the driver covers.

You probably could, it would just rest on your ears, but idk how it would effect the sound

clean tp? please tell me I can use clean tp… :crazy_face:

I should collect some tp from different stores I go into so I can try different qualities of single and two ply as a solution!

some expressed concerns of the silver parts…told them that when I asked about getting my NAD’s bronzed, they had run out, so had to compromise. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol, yeah you might want to check to make sure you are getting it from a clean source. But I wonder if used tp is better for the sound :thinking::thinking::thinking: might sound a bit muddy though

2 Likes