Kennerton Thror, have you heard "THESE"?

Hey Z/DMS/all users

I recently tried a pair of Kennerton Thror’s through a Chord Hugo TT 2, and I had the biggest “THESE” moment of my life, every song I listened to sounded almost perfect. This demo was my first high-end flagship headphone experience, but they blew all I listened to that day including Klipsch HP-3, Beyerdynamic T1, HD 660s, EL-8 (open).

Long short I hadn’t heard of Kennerton before, seen anything about them on any form or any reviews online and with my limited experience having never heard 800s, LCD’s, Empyrean or other really high-end headphones couldn’t give them justice trying to review them myself. Z or DMS if you read this I beg you to try them and maybe, just maybe give them the review they deserve.

I did have a pair of the Vali from Massdrop. And they may have been the most annoying set I’ve owned. On one hand, I loved the sound. Kind of like a clearer LCD2. One the other hand, they were the single least comfortable set of cans I’ve owned. Hands down. Being in the USA, it’s not a brand we get over here often. I’d love to try something else from them, if only to see if they’ve ever fixed their ergonomic issues.

1 Like

I also tried the vali the thror’s were defantly much more comfortable, so much lighter and the pads felt like an upgrade too.

Guys, I really love the wood and look of the Kennertons, Does anyone have first hand experience with their lower end models like the Magni, Star, M12’s, Vali, Magister pro, Jor’s? I just can’t bring myself to spend $2-$3k on a headphone and I’m wondering what thoughts folks have on the models under $1.8k. It seems allot of the price is based on the beautiful wood they use, what are you thoughts on the sound tho and did you keep yours or sell them?
Looking forward to hearing any and all opinions.

looks at price tag fuck that

3 Likes

I have heard the Valis and I remember liking them more then t1’s and kiplsich hp-3’s however there are heavier and the ear pads are nice and soft they are small, they’re also not very light.

2 Likes

So I decided to take the plunge after listening and ended up with a Thror Bog Oak, very curious to see how it responds to some of my amps

6 Likes

This is great. Can’t wait to hear your impressions and where it lands in your lineup.

Congrats! Bog Oak is niiiiice.

So, any thoughts re the Kennerton?
(I am considering the Magni or the Vali myself)

Well, I really like it for sure, very enjoyable and I don’t regret a thing lol. I don’t know about the magni, but the Vali was pretty sweet imo

They are total unknown to me and no shop around here has them, so better start in the low end and I do need at closed back atm.
But if they can’t make the top tier okay, then no way I am going to get anything from them. So far so good.

And for the next 5 days they have 25% off on all headphones…
(But evvery purchase is going to push my ZMF buy further away)

giphy

Honestly I would say the kennerton might be an alternative to zmf, I don’t think zmf towers over these imo, they are just different

I was looking into some artisan shaving brushes many years back. First I was aware of Bog Oak as a wood to be used. That was the most expensive option for the brush, too. Kennerton? Would love to hear these some day – all I know is what Murdock/The Headphone Experience tells me on youtube – and this thread, now.

I have a bog oak thror and it’s pretty awesome

1 Like

Right – this is why I brought up the Bog Oak specifically! Looks beautiful, that’s for sure.

Here’s a couple hundred pages to read about them if you want;

1 Like

Does it include the newer models as well like the new versions?

kind of, there are updated posts but most of the info is based on the just previous version. If you search Kennerton all the possible posts on them come up with a few impressions and allot of “sales push” on the newer models

1 Like

@ XylleFBB
You have both the Vali and the Magni, right?

Just wondering about your thoughts re which is the better HP. I would like a closed back and the price is nice, but the Vali looks tempting, is better looking and could be a better deal in the end.
Price is an issue (if not it would be the Vali (or Thror :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ), so is the Vali worth the extra $?

I’ll try to give you as much info as I can. I own the Magni & the 2019 version of the Vali.

It’s a really tough call between them. Gun to my head, I’d take the Vali. That’s a preference thing for me. I enjoy the thick, almost syrupy sound of the Vali to the thinner, yet more detailed Magni.

When you hear the Vali (going by my thoughts and what random friends and family have said), the overall sound is just premium. You get decent sound stage but a thick, bassy sound that is really, really nice. Not super detailed, but just good enough where you aren’t feeling cheated or frustrated. The vocals aren’t up front, but they aren’t so far back you have to strain to hear them. For me, they are in the perfect location.

Sorry to be general, but I’d describe them as smooth, warm, good percussion, premium.

The Magni are a different animal. The Magni are a thinner sound with less sound stage, but wow, really fantastic detail. Very punchy and fun. Vocals are closer and bass is less. But what a fun, punchy, tight detailed sound. What I like about the Magni vs. the NDh20, is the headphone didn’t scream closed back soundstage. Once my brain adjusted, all I thought about was how detailed, punchy and fun the Magni is.

If I gave a report card score, I suspect the Vali would win overall with B+ in all categories, where the Magni would get more A+'s in some categories and C’s in others. The Magni is the better deal. I think with the Vali I felt, “I got what I paid for”. With the Magni I felt like, “I can’t believe they only cost me $525”. I also have heard and believe it that some people prefer the Magni. My friends and family have been split 50/50.

If you want the better deal with super detailed, punchy and just plain fun sound and you don’t care as much about width of sound stage with slightly brighter sound, Magni is the better choice.

If you prefer a thicker more premium overall sound, the intention is long listening sessions, you appreciate decent sound stage and don’t like brighter headphones, choose the Vali.

Neither are great with comfort and seal. Sound makes up for it, but I didn’t love the headband cup seal for either headphone. You can move it around and find the perfect spot, but it’s just a little bit annoying to have to do that.

Hope this helps and let me know what you decide!

3 Likes