šŸ”¶ Klipsch HP-3

Hi all,

Currently considering the HP-3 and looking for sites that have these for sale + can ship to Japan.

So far, I have looked at Adorama ($1400 incl. shipping, Walnut only), Woo Audio ($1200 + shipping), and been lurking ebay for deals. Any other suggestions?

ā€»Thereā€™s also a local online store (MHF) in Japan that has them up on their site, but when I asked whether they actually have a stock, they said they may get a stock later in August~September.

so far as i can tell, they are mostly sold out and on back order. a lot of USA sites have them listed as discontinued. klipsch may be doing another refresh or scrapping the line or something.

1 Like

Regionally the closest I can find and the price is in NZ $ā€¦ Maybe they would ship it to Japan.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

Wasnā€™t aware that they are discontinuedā€¦makes it even harder to find them :grimacing:
Will continue to look around, maybe also consider a used pair on ebay.

Klipsch website says backorder, so they may be doing another run. All other USA sites say discontinued instead of backordered. So not sure either way.

Interesting note from Sweetwater. Guess theyā€™re keeping them around but canā€™t get any?

Does anyone use the HP-3 with the ifi Zen?

I understand that these are relatively easy to drive and that a Dragonfly Cobalt or Fiio BTR5 can drive them, just want to see opinions on the Zen since they are in the same price range.

JDS Labs Element II also looks nice, but I want to avoid the need of a transformer :confused:

I hear the xbass doesnā€™t apply well with them but Iā€™d imagine itā€™d work fine if you didnā€™t use that.

I donā€™t have hp3ā€™s but if you go the zen route id suggest getting a balanced cable to useā€¦ power wise you should be fine and the zen will inherently warm up the hp3ā€™s so if that sounds appealing id say give it a shotā€¦ @DagoRed has some experience with these and may be able to shed some light on scaling with amps etc

I donā€™t have a reason why the Zen dac couldnā€™t drive these headphones that well.

2 Likes

@DDT Do you use the Rebel Amp with your HP-3ā€™s? If so, how is it?

Iā€™m probably not the one to properly critique my setup but one thing Iā€™ve noticed is the treble is harsh at higher volumes (like a bit before too loud). Pushing the volume on my KPH30iā€™s doesnā€™t have the same problem.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed kph30ā€™s do better on systems where the HP-3ā€™s do not for treble. Itā€™s strange but good in terms I have 1 headphone that can handle something if another canā€™t between the two.

I am using the HP-3 into a Cavalli Tube Hybrid and using a Loki to slightly boost the bass and slightly roll off the treble and I have been listening to music all day with the biggest smile on my face. Really enjoying this setup.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the comments.

Itā€™s a shame thereā€™s nowhere I can test out the HP-3s; I can probably test multiple dac/amps locally but seems like no local stores in Tokyo have a set of HP-3 (well, Klipsch products in general).

1 Like

I can imagine youā€™d be able to sell them fairly quickly if you donā€™t like them. Despite my treble sensitivity, I canā€™t see myself spending more than what I did for these and everything else about them I love. Can probably fix it with EQ anyways.

1 Like

I was gonna ask how well the HP-3 soaks up the tubes with low impedance but Iā€™m also gonna say thanks for making me purchase the Loki.

1 Like

Did you get them during the Adorama sale (I think it was $700)?
I would buy them in a heartbeat at that price, but having a hard time justifying $1200.

I do know I can get a pair for around $800 (not including shipping+tax), but it would the Oak model, which is second in my list to the Ebony.

Regarding the EQ, I was actually thinking of getting an ADI-2.
Yes, it is overkill for the HP-3, but Iā€™m definitely intrigued in its versatility and high praise.

1 Like

I canā€™t speak for @DDT but I did get mine in the Adorama sale for $700, yeah.

Iā€™m happy with them at that price. I donā€™t think I would be happy with them for $1200. They are beautiful and I love the sound. It can take a little while to ā€œsettleā€ them in the right position on my head but once they are there itā€™s very comfortable.

I donā€™t think I would be happy with them for $1200.

Iā€™ve seen many people comment this, thus Iā€™m thinking of just waiting for another good deal to show up (such as Adorama).

1 Like