▶ Klipsch RP600m

Ah was the used one I send too expensive? It was 1400 Sterling, that’s about 1.8k usd no?

No it wasn’t sorry I didn’t even see that message haha. That looks just about perfect thanks. I’ll read into it :slight_smile:

Thank’s for the recommendation Mon but to be honest I can’t really stand the look of the Accuphase stuff. I’m sure they’re great but the vintage look just really isn’t for me.

There is some easy to get stuff in the UK like Cambridge Audio CXA81, but I would like to set my eyes typically higher than that.

Also, I am not entirely sure I need an integrated amp. I understand what a preamp does but I am not sure I need one to be honest. What preamp would you use in a system around $4000 as if I were to get one, I would rather get separate parts.

I am looking to spend more on a amp and get a very decent DAC so that in the future I could get a pair of CornScalas or another nice pair of speakers, without having to replace all components.

Maybe I will stick with looking at tubes if you can’t recommend an amp in my annoyingly picky view, that’s my fault so I apologise.

Also @Nick_Mimi, what is your opinion on the REL TZERO subwoofer, It’s a REL one that I could get for quite cheaply. I don’t think I need to splash on a sub to be honest.

1 Like

Lol no problem, if you are spending that much you gotta at least not mind looking at it

It depends on the amp and dac at that point imo, synergy comes into play there

What you could do is get a pretty uncolored and transparent power amp and then get a preamp that will play with the color of the sound? Here are some pretty transparent power amps that will work well with most preamps (also don’t skip the adpost links lol)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352924503080

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143493883310

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114119130801

And OTL tube amps are out of the question? I remember loving the sound of tubes on my Klipsch speakers.

The reason I am not thinking a full on tube amp is because of what @Felix mentioned, about how he doesn’t want to necessarily deal with tube amp quirks, and that also there are some genre that he want’s something more leaning towards solid state and some genre tube. I think with a tube preamp and neutral power amp, you can have the best of both if you aren’t all in on the tube amps. I do agree that the klipsch preform pretty well on a tube for sure

2 Likes

It’s funny you mention Krell there, I haven’t listened to any of their products but I was looking at the s-300i and the Krell KAV400xi. Do you have any thoughts on those two?

The Krell KSA80 is a pretty old amp is it not? I would have to replace stuff like the capacitors I believe, I don’t know much about bringing old amps up to date but if it is the same as speakers there are some parts you need to change after x number of years.

Klipsch do perform well with tubes, and to be honest I wouldn’t mind waiting for my tubes to warm up if the music is worth it, but I am not entirely sure about some genres with tube that is all.

A tube preamp with a SS amp makes sense, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that a tube preamp would colour the sound more than a tube amp but I think thats baloney.

I was also looking at the Roksan Caspian M2 as I have read plenty decent reviews on that unit.

Cheers,
Felix

So personally not a huge fan of the krell integrated amps tbh, not the most refined sound for the price imo.

The KSA80 is older, that is true. I don’t think you would need to recap it unless it is actually having issues imo. But further looking at that listing the guy wants cash only, so idk about that one lol. But the other krell I linked (Evolution 2250e) would be a good pick imo.

Can’t comment on this one

My favorite amp that I sent is actually the First Watt J2, really awesome amp, and for the price over there a pretty dang good deal imo. That would also pair pretty good with the klipsch imo

I’ve been looking at reviews now. Seems sweet, I’ll look into it more.

For a preamp, sorry but have you got any recommendations @M0N haha. I’m sure you have better things to do but you’re like the google of the audio world.

I’ve been looking at PrimaLuna stuff, but I think they are a tad out of my budget, I don’t want to spend more on a preamp than an amp unless it’s worth it. Do you have any good recommendations?

Hmmmm

https://www.adpost.com/uk/audio_video_electronics/19211/

Act fast on this one lol

Regarding the audio research one, you actually might be able to get a matching stack if you went with an audio research power amp

1 Like

Always to the rescue, I’ll do some more research regarding the brands you’ve listed. Thanks,
Felix

Any recommendations for this stack? I’ve found some that look similar, such as the D115, but thats a tube amp.

Cheers,
Felix

Edit In fact, If you had a pair of Klipsch rp600m, a Denafrips ARES II, and a budget of $3500 ish to buy a pre amp and amp, doesn’t have to be a same company stack, and either the amp or pre amp must be tube; what would you get?

This guy is actually selling a stack essentially, covers your bases.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274271813617

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274284010956

I will think about that when I have the time lol, but I just know that I would be spending 2k on the speakers and around 1k on amp/preamp

Fair enough, I haven’t listened to many speakers in my life, I just know that the Klipsch rp600m were my favourite apart from a pair of Klipschorn, but I don’t have the £18,000 in the UK lol.
So, anything I can buy to match them, with headroom to upgrade in the future, is the system I’d want to be getting.

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhh ok that makes way more sense lol. In the us the Klipschorn is way cheaper at like 5k (well it depends on what year and model but it’s relatively reasonable). I guess that makes sense. I think that audio research stack would get the job done imo, I think it’s a solid choice for sure. I do think that in the future when you do get the horns, you would want to upgrade from the electronics anyways is my reasoning. Unless you see yourself getting the horns in the near future (like perhaps 4 years out?) I don’t know if I would suggest buying higher tier electronics yet

Edit: also going to say I like the Klipschorn most on an otl tube amp, but that doesn’t suit your preferences

Fair enough, I reckon by the time I have enough for the horns my tastes might have changed a bit, or I would have found a different pair I like more at a similar price. I’ll look into audio research stacks then, thanks for the help.
There is just so much to choose from it’s almost impossible haha.
My taste of authority for metal and techno but softness for blues or classical is hard to come by in a speaker, and I reckon by the time I finally have the money to buy the setup in the money range I want £5,000 roughly, everything would have changed.

Thanks,
Felix

2 Likes

Yes, I think that buying that far out isn’t the best idea because you don’t have anything set in stone yet.

1 Like

@Felix, hold off on a sub until you have had a chance to purchase all other components. I mention this because the RP 600’s are NOT bass light by any means. First make sure you feel your music is lacking before dropping the coin on the bottom end.

Surprisingly in my home, the ONLY system i have that does NOT have a sub is the bedroom system with my 600’s, I’m honestly very satisfied with their output and cheated a bit by moving them in a bit closer to the walls to add a little more umph, in low end for EDM and techno.

The Rel site offers much information on purchasing one of their subs. Once you plug in your room dimensions they will help steer you to a sub of appropriate size. Having said this and coming from a car stereo background where 4*18” woofers in a 2 door mini is “just right” my personal tastes tend to not follow audiophile rules but only for certin genre’s of music :crazy_face:

The Rel’s will play tight when you follow their instruction and install them the way they tell you to. Again, i would not be the best source of info because my personal tastes run contrary to audiophile habits…what i can tell you is my room is about 16sq meters or 170 sq ft and i use a t9/i and i enjoy it. This is for my desktop system though, which i consider my cute little “ baby” system🤣

I hope that helps a little bit

Alright cheers, I’ll give that some thought!:+1:t3:

1 Like

I’ve spent the past few hours reading up and, since you suggested more of the budget going to speakers instead of electronics @M0N, do you have anything in mind that has roughly the same sound signature as the rp600m? Of course there are the rp8000f which are pretty much the big brother of the rp600m, but have even more bass. If I looked at them I really don’t think I would need a sub @Nick_Mimi
What I’m looking for doesn’t have to be bookshelf but I will be moving eventually to a dorm room and we all know that they aren’t the largest of spaces.
Cheers,
Felix