🔶 KOSS ESP/95x

This is the official thread for the KOSS ESP/95x. This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Over Ear
  • Amp Included
  • Open Back

:red_circle: HifiGuides Massdrop link

Reviews…

3 Likes

This or Stax 2170?

Some more words so I can reach 20 characters…

I would go with the 95x, because of the better bass performance, better build, and more natural timbre. If you liked a more airy sound, the stax system might be up your alley

4 Likes

I’ve been using the same pair of Austrian Q701s for the past 8 years, would these be a worthwhile upgrade? I reached nirvana in the speaker realm when i moved to electrostats so i’m hoping smaller stats will be close to as nice in the headphone/earspeaker sector, but i’m finding it tough to get a demo of any in my area . Thank you!

The 95x is a great value and probably the best choice under 1k for an all rounder estat unless you tap into the used market. They are great all rounders and don’t really have any glaring flaws. Also pretty comfortable as well. Not as wide as the akg’s though

3 Likes

I love my pair of 95x. I agree with Zeos they are the most affordable and just plain sound good headphones (earspeakers) for the $$ for electrostatics. I later bought the Monoprice electro static earspeakers with rechargable Energizer and they don’t have the sound quality of the kids but for portability and price $350 they are great. Thanks Zeos for your reviews and hard work.

Thank you very much, I’m sold!

Just curious, what are your current speakers?

I have four pairs, all acoustats. I have monitor IVs, model threes, model X’s and 6’s in storage. I’m using heavily modified red medallion interfaces with cmods etc, but have a pair of modified servo charge amps for when I can be bothered (they need to be monitored so they don’t get too hot and are not very cat friendly). The IVs are what I use most days :slight_smile: if you can get a demo of any of the previously mentioned models with servo amps or modded interfaces you absolutely should, as clean as ML Cls’s but without the same panel issues (and power thirst)

1 Like

I haven’t heard anyone acoustat them in a while, pretty nice speakers :+1:

Sounds like a great setup

I’ve heard 1+1’s and they were pretty nice

Oh bud, if you though the 1+1’s were pretty nice you’ll legit be blown away by the others. I heard 1+1s as my first pair of Acoustats and was initially turned off by electrostats as a whole. I listened to some maggie timpanis, Maggie 2.7rs, ML ClS’s and a few different infinity setups (gamma and some IRS V’s) before arriving at a ranch home in broad ripple indianapolis, filled with electrostats. I was then demo’d the monitor IV’s on custom servos. My wallet couldn’t be emptied fast enough. I really need to sort my listening room out (getting ready to move) but if you are ever in Indiana you’ll have to come hear some of the beefier Acoustats!

I wish I had space for bigger speakers, right now I mainly only have bookshelf setups, but they work well for me. I typically don’t like estat speakers because of their strange timbre, and I haven’t heard an estat that can overcome that for me yet. I will have to check out some monitor iv’s when I get the chance

I tried to buy these on Drop but it comes up with 2 options, 120 volt or 220 volt. Which one should i choose?

If you live in somewhere with 60hz power, you most likely have 120 volt. If you live in the us just get 120 volts. If not look and see what voltage your power operates on

Mine just arrived today and I’ve had them on for the past hour or so and they are pretty great. I was expecting the detail and for them to do well with horns and cymbals, but I’m pretty happily surprised by the bass. They’re definitely not bass cannons, but from what I always have heard about estats, I assumed they would be lacking in that department. I’m running the energizer off my Airist R2R DAC which may be adding some warmth, but certainly isn’t responsible for all the bass I’m hearing. Also, the dual volume knob isn’t as bad as some seem to make it out to be even if it’s unnecessary. Eventually I’ll take them off my head to A/B with some other headphones, but I can already say I’ve made worse $500 purchases (edit: got them for $400 with Zeos’ coupon. Even better!)

I cant decide if i should buy them or not! :joy:

They haven’t come off my head tonight. I can’t vouch for you enjoying the sound, but I can almost guarantee comfort won’t be a problem. I’m also not experiencing any of the channel hum I’ve read some people mention, but that would probably reduce my positive feelings

Z has a coupon?.. (Character limit)

yes, good through tomorrow. If this link doesn’t work, try the community tab on his youtube page:

https://massdrop.7eer.net/z9LX0

1 Like

Also got mine recently for my dad, but I did notice some driver crinkle that I did not experience on other pairs I have tried beforehand, but it’s nothing to worry about. I also might pick up some vesper audio pads for him as well