🔷 Sennheiser HD820

Ok thats not bad then, but you gotta get some sort of bass boost going on that

How’s the soundstage and imaging

The 58x is more warm and rounded sounding in the bass but the 95x is way more detailed in the subbass and further extending

Imagining is very very good for the price. Soundstage is above average as well, also very open sounding

It’s actually really good for eq if you are into that

Ok but what even are the benefits of an estat over a dynamic

Typically the estats have better detail, imaging, separation and openness. They also are much faster and effortless sounding (sometimes a bit lighter sounding). It’s pretty different than most headphones but its not clearly better than others in it’s price point comparing all aspects

Also note that the 95x does have a tad bit of dynamics compression but it’s not a deal breaker like it is for the schiit modi or older aeon lolol

EStat’s are about mid range timbre and speed.
Nothing else sounds like an EStat.
And that’s true whether speakers or headphones.

They don’t rely on a magnet… and they can react near instantly to dynamic changes in sound… hence crazy detail… that is more or less impossible with a dynamic driver…

So why are these so cheap then this seems like a great deal

Is it just Koss being Koss?

They are 100 bucks off atm which is a great deal. The original 950 is from like the 90s (I think I can’t remember) but it still holds up today. Massdrop just brought them down in price a ton and only give them new pads

Also something to note the build is somewhat cheap if you care about that (like surprisingly so but still better than stax lol) but comfort is still good

Yeah… it’s worth mentioning the Koss Electrostats were originally $1000 or so

Ok I am actually interested in THESE

Question is how would I even use a bass boost since I can’t use a different amp (with a bass boost) cuz they use an energizer :thinking:

You could do it through eq or get a schiit loki or something

ok ok

20 charrrrrrrrr

Also head over to here for more info and so we stop hijacking this thread lol

1 Like
1 Like

I’m getting pretty good at understanding headfi lingo but can someone explain to me what ‘air’ is? It’s being used to describe 10k + frequencies

1 Like

My understanding is that is in reference to where high frequency transients occur. Like cymbal splashes. Decay is also a characteristic of “air”.

1 Like

Gold for :de: :wink:

2 Likes

Sennheiser HD 820 Flagship Closed Back headphones: Beauty and the Beast.