🔶 Koss KPH 40 Utility

Retrospekt band/Midnight Blue PPX Drivers/Purple Yaxi

I think I’m done. Unless, the KPH40 are truly different drivers. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It looks like now you can order to Europe. I am staring at a 40USD shipping cost though, trying to convince myself it’s worth it.

it’s eventually going to be available, just wait. I did that with the kph30i and it was worth it. Shipping costs to europe are too much

1 Like

I tried to order from amazon.com, but it didn’t allow to ship to a European address… I’ve ordered many things already, but there are always ones that are for USA only… I guess there are some stupid region restrictions…

I tried ordering from the Koss website and it accepted the European address. I decided not to order it yet though. I am happy with the kph30i and I’m in no rush to get the 40 yet. Paying double for the shipping is a bit steep. Also I have a friend going to the states next month, maybe I can ask her to bring me one

Looking forward to seeing these reach Europe as well! Or is anyone willing to send me one from the states with a low shipping cost??? :grin::yum:

This headband looks sooo good!

I manged to get a Porta Pro utility from amazon (I live outside the US) so they might have shipping open

Out of stock at the moment and how much was the shipping to your country (which country?)?

Luckily for me i got free shipping (over 50$ some items have free shipping), and I live in Israel.
Normally its either ridiculously expensive, free or in most cases - Wount ship

1 Like

I guess I’ll get me a pair of Red Hot Porta Pros first (gifted my classics to my niece a few weeks ago) to compliment my 75s and will wait for the KPH40 to be in stock again. No prob! :grin:

Just received my pair of KPH 40s. Koss is just on the other side of town. I’ve been listening to Amazon HD for the last hour and they are really impressive, like this is the last pair of headphones you’ll ever need to buy impressive. I’m running a tone 2 pro dac amp from my pc so I can run the single ended kph40s and my balanced Goldplanar GL2000s at the same time – and damn they’re close. If anything the kph40s have higher resolution than the GL2000s. By the way, the tone2pro is maxed out to run the kph40s so they need a lot of juice; if someone figures out how to balance the kph40s it would be game over for every other headphone, and let’s not talk about iems. And yes, the connector on the kph40 is a standard 2.5 TRRS identical to all my balanced 2.5 connectors. So how do they sound, female vocals are full and rich. Horns and drums very realistic and in your ear. The only thing missing is sound stage, the sound of the room, the very bit that puts the real into realistic; so maybe there is a role for your stupid expensive headphones after all, but it’s a close run thing. So Zeos ain’t lying again. Damn.

11 Likes

Just received my KPH40’s and ran some test tracks through them from my LG G7+ for some first impressions.

Sound wise I really like them. They have a pretty well rounded sound with good extension up and down, and good soundstage. The only thing I am noticing, and this just might be me imagining things, but they seem just a bit light in the mids making them sound a tiny bit hollow. I have a feeling burn in will help with that.

Fit wise they are not too clampy for me even with my rather large head. The drivers seem so small coming from 30i’s and the extra real estate of those ear pieces (and my large ears). I only listened for less than an hour so no idea if I will have to worry about hot spots, etc. Given the size of the drivers you need to move them around and find the right spot on your ears for the best sound. Once you do though, you will be rewarded.

Build wise I like the minimalism aspect to them. They remind me a lot of the headphones from my first walkman back in the early 80’s. The pads are good compared to 30i stock pads, but I will be glad to see what Yaxi, or whomever, will offer down the road.

Once I burn them in a bit I will give them a run on the desktop rig and compare to the Yaxi and Ultra 30i’s.

Ideas for possible mods are already forming, we shall see…

I know, now I need to get the KPH40. Those are new ones that look like the OG 80s era Sony Walkman ones, but in a flat grey finish on the metal. He claims they sound better than the 30i.

I can run the single ended kph40s and my balanced Goldplanar GL2000s at the same time – and damn they’re close. If anything the kph40s have higher resolution than the GL2000s.

Not sure if that’s a compliment to the kph40s or a knock on Goldplanar :rofl:

1 Like

Listening to mine a bit that I got today. So far, the kph40 is the worst sounding pair I’ve heard out of koss so far. It sounds cheap and not like their other stuff. But that said, the kph30 needed some break in so I’ll try these our for a bit before giving actual impressions.

2 Likes

Wow, and I know you’re feeding it some top end gear too.

I’m going to let mine burn in for a week or two before I try any critical listening with my desktop rig and comparing them against my 30i’s.

They are not perfect out of the box, but I like them so far.

I’m only using my BTR5 right now. The RNHP is out on loan but I’ll use my Vali 2+ or mz2 later. You get in your face with some details but it doesn’t resonate how I hoped.

I will say, for $40 it sounds amazing. But the fan favorite koss stuff on the the BTR5 sounds better so far. For reference, the kph30 took some break in in my experience and the porta pros I have sound great with the yaxi pads.

Now the good… The kph40 is so light and holds better. So if you want put on roller skates and get those old school walk man vibes, these are great. The comfort is outstanding.

So far the bass feels a bit less precise and something in the 4k-5k range is strange. Nothing bad but maybe it’s me trying to hope these match the Zeos hype.

Maybe it’s time I try these out with the Hugo 2 and see what happens.

1 Like

Good news, the kph40 sounds better on the Chord Hugo 2 over the BTR5. Not sure if that means anything to anyone but the headphones definitely sound like they may need 24 hours of break in or brain burn in.

I recall Zeos saying they do scale well so that result does not surprise me. That is why I am looking forward to trying them with my desktop setup after some burn in.