đŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

unrelated to the sound but the silicone headband smells like medicine

Yeah, I thought the KPH30i was amazing too, until I tried the KSC75. Then when I added a bass boost to the 75, I just got rid of the 30i. Imo they were just inferior to the 75, even if the 75 didn’t have the same low end. The 75 had much better treble and midrange, more accurate imaging, and possibly wider soundstage. Much brighter headphones, but once I tried them I couldn’t go back to the 30i, which sounded muddy and extremely dark in comparison.
Just ny thoughts. For the price though the KPH30i are a very fun bassy and dark set, nothing wrong with liking that. Enjoy!

4 Likes

I received my 2nd pair of 30i’s yesterday (Yaxipads/MMCX connectors on order) so I can play with/mod the first pair, but now that I have read through this thread, I just ordered the 75’s.

It’s a good thing these are all so cheap, otherwise my bank account would start having fits.

Did you do the kramer mod? or just EQ?

Might just order the ksc75 at the end of this month lol, i’m losing to the temptations.

the kph30i is definitely my first dark sounding headphone, enjoying the experience

Welcome to the dark side lol
 glad you’re enjoying them
 easily my personal favourite of the koss 3
 getting the 75 is not a bad idea because they’re different enough to make it worthwhile
 that said I gave mine away to a curious friend and dont really miss them all that much
 with koss (the big 3 anyways) there is no wrong answer, just preference

2 Likes

Nah, I just used EQ. Surprisingly it doesn’t affect the clarity of the upper frequencies much.
I do hear that some people use the yaxi pads on them to increase bass impact as well though.

I started disassembling my first pair of 30i’s last night to see what will be needed for adding Yaxipads and MMCX connectors when I get them, and to try to get ideas for other potential mods.

I do not remember seeing it mentioned anywhere in this thread, so I figured I would as a FYI, but with the driver ear pieces held in place with molded rubber/silicone you actually have to “tear” the piece out of the headband bracket to separate it (unless if there is a trick I am unaware of). The injection molding process does a REALLY good job of grabbing and holding the ear pieces in place.

You can put the ear piece back into the headband and it will work fine, it just will not be as rigidly seated as before.

Now to do some more reading and let the ideas flow

2 Likes

when you remove the driver from the cups you need to take some needle nose pliers and compress the plastic tabs towards each other in order for the cups to pop off from the headband.

1 Like

Yep, this is exactly what I did. Used needle nose pliers.

1 Like

It would appear there is a huge fundamental design difference between yours and mine. The plastic tabs are not on the headband. They are part of the injection molded driver earpiece.

Hopefully these pictures show better what I was trying to explain

(UPDATE: I’m a dumbass, see next post. Leaving this for others to learn from my mistake)

3 Likes

Within a minute of posting the above I realized my mistake. It’s been a long week.

I got my pliers out and was able to pop the cap off as mentioned above.

Good thing these are my “tear them apart and learn everything possible about them” pair.

I received the 75’s today and took one of those drivers apart too to compare between the models. Interesting to see how they are the same size, use the same diffuser design, but different diaphragm/driver structures to get the same specs as the 30i’s.

4 Likes

you win some you lose some but thats whats so great about Koss. Great audio at a cheap price I encourage you to keep trying new things and coming up with more ideas. Btw those 75 drivers will fit perfectly into the 30i ear cups if you cut off that little tab that holds the 75 drivers to the ear hooks. The 75’s have great detail but lacked that mid and bass. If you perform the Kramer mod where you drill holes into the diffuser you can really make the 75 drivers sing with the perfect balance of highs/detail, mids, and bass.

5 Likes

I have done some modding before so I knew to expect stuff like this. It is all part of the fun and the learning process. Luckily it will not be a super costly one.

Thanks for the tip about the 75’s. I did not even think to try fitting them to the 30i frame. Have you seen if anyone has tried removing the 75 driver from the assembly? Do you think it’s worth the trouble?

I have watched videos on the different mods and have some ideas for 3D printing some diffusers with Kramer inspired designs.

I am thinking of buying some MiniDSP Ears to help validate the differences in the mods I want to try. It will be interesting to see what I can come up with.

You don’t need to remove 75 driver out of the assembly. The entire assembly will actually fit inside the 30i cups. You’ll probably end up destroying the 75 driver if you attempt to remove the driver itself from the housing and most likely change the sound. If you look at post 144 in this thread I uploaded pictures of what it looks like.

I did get the 75 to test fit into the 30i cup fine. I was just thinking the possibilities out further. If the 75 was out of its assembly, what other possibilities are there? I had forgotten about that post. Thanks for the reminder.

Do you think there are any advantages to the 75 driver that the 30i’s can’t be modded to sound like?

I guess there is only one way to find out.

I don’t have the technical skills to really say if they can or can’t be but the 75’s does have a different type of titanium coating on them for tuning purposes so it does have one small advantage over the 30i and porta pro drivers. I don’t know how easily the drivers are removable because I had a bunk pair that came from Koss and when I tried pulling out the driver it was glued into the housing and ended ripping the diaphragm. If you come up with something new it would be great if you could share it in this thread. I love tinkering with stuff that’s on a budget.

I dont really listen to music on these headphones. i use them for watching youtube and such. well I was just watching the latest video of 8-bit guy and the end music sounded so good i couldnt believe it. Great bass and soundstage. these little headphones are really amazing

3 Likes

I finally got my Yaxi pads and got them put on my 30i’s.

After running through my test tracks I am really liking the sound. I am finding some more low end presence, along with some overall increased punch/dynamics (probably because of the “cup” the pad creates between the pad and ear).

The beauty of it I find is that with the increased low end, I am not finding any real loss of high end. I am still getting really nice sparkly cymbals, clear acoustic guitars, etc.

Mod 1 complete. I have ideas for diffusers I might 3D print, as well as something I am working on in CAD right now. I am hoping to get the latter printed soon to try it out.

2 Likes

My pair with knock-off grado pads from Amazon (I don’t recommend), wrapping around the stock pads. My headband broke and I ended up 3D printing a poor clamping solution. Ordered a second pair from Drop and have Yaxi pads (originally on these) ready to go. Super dumb, super awesome.

6 Likes