šŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

13 Likes

Awesome. Exactly what I want to do. What connectors did you use and how did you mount them in there?

US $20.01 13%OFF | 10pcs custom made universal pin Socket female socket mmcx Pure copper gold plated Built-in Nuts+10pcs male mmcx Socket for shure
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/QWbyGD2

3 Likes

I cut the driver leads and put the back on. I then drilled the cable hole slightly bigger. I then dry fit the MMCX in that slot a few times making adjustments. The back snapping on should mechanically hold the MMCX in place a bit. I then soldered and glued the connector in. I used hot glue this time but considering epoxy or 3d print a part to mount the connector for the Long haul.

2 Likes

Be warned. There are 3 tabs holding the back on. I managed to break one on both sides so be gentle. With the pads off you can be more careful and help the tabs release.

2 Likes

I loved them, had no shame in taking them to school or walking on the street.

1 Like

Isnā€™t it generally discouraged to use a TRRS connector in a TRS input, even if itā€™s just shorting the microphone in this case? If so, is a TRRS -> 2x TRS splitter (while leaving the microphone TRS unused) the best option here?

I jumped on the hype train for this one and grabbed a pair in gray. Zeos sometimes misses the mark for me. I sold the Fidelio X2, donated the Modern Retro to charity, and the M1060 was just trash, but the SHP9500 is still great and the KPH30i, at $30, is a slam dunk. I wish it didnā€™t have the stupid in-line mic, but Iā€™m overall very satisfied with this addition to my collection. Crazy price to performance.

4 Likes

Unofficial Amateur Review

Ill keep this short and sweet as to not take up too much space but I wanted to take Zā€™s challenge and post my thoughts as I just received them today.

Bass: Thick, deep bass. oh my darling dont cry from run the jewels reverberates constant and although isnt visceral like on my denon ah d7200ā€™s, it has a very satisfying body and adds much needed texture to the songs

Mids: the high point for me. these are clearer and more detailed as far as vocals go than they have any right to be at $30. The low mid/upper bass does bleed into the vocals and muddies things slightly but againā€¦$30 i dont expect it to have the clarity of a $1500 headphone.

Highs: the lowest point for me. def hidden a bit behind the other frequencies and not pronounced at all. Theyre not sibilant at all so i mean thats enough for me honestly. Black Ink Revenge has some pretty high notes and sharp Sā€™s in the beginning. Theyre very subdued and rolled off but the female singers vocals are still just as well presented as male vocals.

Comfort: small, light, extends well to my ears. pads lightly sit on my ears. nothing to complain about here

Soundstage: pretty darn wide. In the goldie locks area for me, not too wide that its in space, not too close where i feel claustrophobic.

Imaging: good imaging. nothing spectacular but really good.

Timbre: never metallic sounding, pretty natural

Overall: $30 are you kidding me? Buy these, give them to friends or family. Show them what money can actually buy. I feel like i just need a walkman again and im back to being on the school bus resisting the new ipod craze. ms/hs me would have killed for these.

As one final edit hopefully: Dare I say these are baby 6XX/650. Absolutely the sound signature I enjoy. Warm, bassy, well represented vocals

8 Likes

I was holding out. I donā€™t understand what is unofficial with your reviews tho. Imma get these now.

Its a thing im trying to make a thing lol. but ya you just cant go wrong for that price.

I just tried the Porta Pros for ten or so minutes and holy shit. They sound really fucking good. Just an all around good sound. Sound less fatiguing than the Sennheiser PX-100II I was using for portable and donā€™t hurt my ears. Koss hype is real. The KPH30i are coming next week and I canā€™t wait to compare. Iā€™ll be listening to the Porta Pro more later tonight.

I forget what the model is but the small koss that clip around your ears, ive had those for awhile and have a great sound. Koss has def nailed the price/performance game

My pair showed up today!

To me, they sit somewhere between Monks and 6xx. Closer to 6xx but still have that slight mushy sound that monks do. Extends nice and deep, and since the drivers are touching my ears, bass has more of a physical nature to it. Soundstage is pretty wide.

Much nicer than I thought they would be. Pretty good chance my daughter will have the best headphones in her class this year :smile:

1 Like

Whoā€™s EQing these things? What EQ settings have you been using? Wanna make an EQ curve on the monoprice portable for these but I have no experience with EQing.

What are you hearing too much of? What are you not hearing enough of? This video will help explain the frequency ranges.

5 Likes

Cool Iā€™ll take a look at that. Think I want to drop the bass down a bit, donā€™t know what specific frequencies though. Iā€™ll watch that video as soon as I get a chance.

1 Like

I just got my Koss this afternoon. WTF. My brain is broken.

its on drop now, get it if you guys wanna

1 Like

$20 ok. Just have to wait a month.