šŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

@Not_Daijoubu For me, yaxis diminish just a bit of midrange( vocals) clarity.
However, the comfort more than makes them worthwhile.

1 Like

Hmm, alright. I experienced similar with the Porta Pro, so I guess itā€™s worth a go.

Only if I can cleanly unclip the pad mounts. I already broke a shitton of pins on day 2 when I tried to remove them with pads intact. :cold_sweat:

Haā€¦ I havenā€™t tried them on the 30i for that very reason. Maybe someday I will
feel bold and give it a shot! The yaxis donā€™t stretch quite far enough to fit around the whole housing, imo.

Need to open them up to fit. Itā€™s really easy to do when you know where the clips arw located. There is a guide pinned in here somewhere.

Go careful and itā€™s a breeze.

1 Like

Got the Koss, 2 actually, yesterday from Amazon US x Germany, so I did not have to pay import taxes separately.
The bass is really slamming, mids at least comparable 85% to 58x and treble is nice. For less than 30ā‚¬ it is awesome.
The really noticeable thing is the soundstage. It is not as detailed but very similar and is surprisingly big for such a small 60 ohm (?) driver. The second pair goes to my dad for xmas. DMS and me can wear these no problem. I have very similar giant head, so thumps up even for chubby people same as 58x. NHD20 is too small 1-3 centimetres are missing to be on the safe side. I never had issues with Beyerdynamic headband sizes.

If the KHP30i pop up on EU Amazon buy it and force some of your friends to witness the great sound.

Please excuse me, I need to play 2077 with 58x. It is the most audiophile game I ever played so far. 2nd place goes to Escape from Tarkov and Squad. 3rd might be Stalker with mods like Misery and Anomaly.

1 Like

are you going to do the Grado pad modā€™s?

I am not sure, would need to import it but I would recommend it for sure. KHP30i are at least 80% of the 58x to me but less neutral. I get OCD just from thinking Cyberpunk 2077 is audiophile. I sit here in my car (in game) and the radio stations are so good. entering a club you hear the bass in the distance coming in boom. Gesaffelstein maybe is also in the game. (I cant play. GTA made it hard to stop the radio but this is too much)

1 Like

if you can buy off Amazon, there are a number of third party brands for a lot less.

1 Like

Just did the Grado pad swap on my 2nd pair of KPH30i (Original pair has Yaxi pads). Iā€™m loving life right now. Need to do the mmcx cable mod next.

Overall, I like the Grado pad swap better. The Yaxi pad swap took some of the sparkle in the highs for me. Completely swapping out the original pads for the Grado pads really does bring the treble back. It is way more comfortable too.

Some people on Zeoā€™s video said to put the Grado pads in hot water for 15 seconds to soften the pads up. Has anyone tried this?

Iā€™m curious to know the answer to this too. I wonder why they limit it to ā€˜15 secondsā€™.

Iā€™ve washed new(er) pads this way with no issue. But I tried it with an older set that was very dirty, and they started falling apart. So YMMV, but if the pads are in good shape, it has worked well for me.

Is that the ear pad of a Focal Clear Professional?

wile-e-coyote-super-genius

Feeling like quite the ā€œgeniusā€ todayā€¦

A couple weeks ago I posted about not liking the sound of the Grado pad mod. Of course I realized today that I bought the wrong pads (much smaller than the cushion pads), and now the shipping times for all of the correct ones are a few weeks.

Looking forward to getting the correct pads and trying again.

Decided to try out the Grado pads on a second (non Yaxi) set I had around. Definitely gets a little more width, imaging, and low-end compared to the Yaxi pads. Iā€™ll be doing an MMCX mod in this pair as well as possibly different tuning (foam maybe try to close them idk yet).
Probably wouldnā€™t recommend them over the Yaxi pads but theyā€™re fun if youā€™re just looking to mess around.

1 Like

indeed they are. Just put those on out of curiosity. I havenā€™try tried any other pad yet but this sounds quite nice!

I just got a pair of these suckers and Iā€™m looking to use them on my amps. I noticed somewhere (I forget where, I think on the packaging) a warning about using TRS adapters with these headphones. Could this cause issues? Will anything adverse happen if I use the 1/4 adapter (from my 4XX) on an amp?

I use a 1/4" TRS adapter with mine on many amps and no issues.

I bought these for the hell of it for $20 bucks and Iā€™m like damn, these are great. Right now I have no AMP/DAC, well actually I do have a Yamaha RX-V363 home theatre thingie for speakers and it does have a headphone output but I switched the headphones from there directly into my PC, and couldnā€™t tell much of a difference. Iā€™m pretty happy with them, but would they benefit much from a better amp?Anyone recommend an DAC/AMP combo or stack to drive these and SHP9500s which are the only other headset I own lol

Iā€™d use them for gaming, video content, and lastly music.

1 Like

Literally anything will drive those but a true tube amp. JDS, Topping, Geshelli, SMSL, Schiit, Drop brandsā€¦

a true tube amp? I think you mean classic tube ampā€¦a OTL, not hybrid. :wink: a hybrid would drive them just fine :slight_smile: