đŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

I got my pair of these today, and they sound great, but they STINK. It’s just the earpads but it scares me to use them. I can’t find any signs that they’re used. Do your pairs stink too?

If I remember this correctly, I don’t think my unit was smelly, it smelled like any other factory new smell. Maybe if the smell bothers you, you can contact the seller for a new unit.

1 Like

Same here, normal smell. Then again, I actually do like the smell of modeling cement and CA glue

1 Like

Best way I can describe the smell is really really bitter barbeque sauce

couple of sets here and nothing now nor do I ever remember anything other than new car plastic smell
 I would be doing a return for exchange thing right about now.

1 Like

Might have been the warehouse it was stored in. Does the inside of the box smell?

1 Like

Why do I enjoy these waaaay more than the Starfields? I thought those will be my end all be all but I switched back to these after a few weeks of not using them and music literally came to life! Funny how on paper these should be inferior but in reality I prefer them way more. Might be selling my starfields

Got a new pair today from the retro bundle and it can confirm it smells like that lmao.

Not a strong smell for me though, I really have to be sniffing it to smell it.

Already threw it away so I can’t check

Yeah the smell is a lot weaker now, I have to have the earpads right up my nose in order to smell it now

I have my box with me. My box does not smell at all like the actual headphones.

Oddly, neither the Pro 4AA or Porta Pro smell as weird as the KPH30i. Funny.

1 Like

Oh yeah, definitely the ear pads. I was smelling the plastic, and it’s very faint from there.

1 Like

I used to think KPH30i’s were a little brighter than Porta Pros, but I think otherwise now. Notably less treble sparkle than my modded Porta Pro and stock Porta Pro LE. I would say sound is a bit more veiled as well. Still a very pleasing sound. :+1:

1 Like

What I found is the kph30i are somehow darker but still sibilant while the porta pros are a bit brighter but not sibilant. Same goes for bass. The kph30i are muddy and bloated while the porta pros are relatively clear and balanced while having a similar quantity of bass.

(my standard disclaimer that my kph30i my be lemons because I hate them as much as people like Zeos seem to love them and it doesn’t make sense to me sometimes)

1 Like

You could give the Kramer mod a go. Just go slow. Every video I watched on the KSC75 mod before I did it, the first thing they did was drill a big hole in the middle, then complain it was too sharp.

Have a good long listen first, identify the areas that seem to be lacking (Lennon’s solo albums led me to fix the crater in the mids on my 75s, could barely hear his voice before), then drill one hole and listen, advancing only if you need to.

If you mess it up you can always buy a pair of KSC75s for a replacement grill, they all use the same one. Shame they don’t all use the same headband mount.

Gosh this headphone really is weird. Porta Pro is cool and all, but this really is ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆. I wasn’t able to appreciate it fully when I first tried it along with my first Porta Pro. Now that I’ve had one to keep for several days, I feel like I really get what the KPH30i is about.

If I try to critically listen, I can clearly tell it is lacking in resolution and awfully dark for my taste. But damn, it just somehow always seems to sound good when I let my mind wander off with the music or get preoccupied with other activities. To me, it’s not headphones for the sake of enjoying it as headphones, but for the sake of actually enjoying music.

I’m jusy going to keep mine (maybe I’ll mod a second pair) stock. I definitely can make them sound better and feel better with mods, but
 why would I need to. It’s like modded Miata vs stock Miata. Modded is great, but there is just something about being able to accept stock for all its strengths and weakness and simply enjoy the pureness of the experience.

5 Likes

Just sold them on ebay to someone that will get more use out of them than I would have.

They are a great budget set, and can really hold their own, but I already own the PX-100 II, which to me are the absolute king of budget headphones. They do everything better than the Koss range, which just shows how impressive they really are as that is no easy feat.

Still, if you want a cheap, great sounding pair of headphones, you really can’t go wrong with these. They make shit like the Grado range even more laughable.

2 Likes

I bought a couple sets of Yaxi Pads back in March and have been enjoying the sound a lot. To my ears they have a great balanced sound across the board.

I was bored so I picked up a set of the Grado pads along with some HD 25 pads and did some tinkering yesterday. So far I have not been able to match the sound I get with the Yaxi’s.

Luckily they only cost me $20 so I am not going to sweat that part of it. I need to do some more brainstorming to see what other things I can try that might get these sounding better.

1 Like

I may have to get Yaxis just because the stock pads are permanently indented with my ear shape after only 5 days :laughing:

Definitely less comfortable now than on day one now that the pads don’t exactly cushion the main pressure points on the ear.

Yaxis don’t change sound much, yes?

The stock Koss pads are so rough. I bought a big bag of cheapo pads for $5 and they’re sooo much softer and don’t rip on the teeth. Yaxi’s are like little pillows.