đŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

Can confirm the foam does change the sound, removing it made them sound stupid clear. I’m currently juggling between 2 pairs, one with the foam removed and the other that still has it, both with Yaxi’s on and honestly I can’t pick a favorite.

1 Like

:laughing: :drooling_face: :wink: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

4 Likes

Just got my pads yesterday. Haven’t done yet. I see your pics show orig. pad on then removed. Preference? And did you remove the inside backing foam as some have done?

I have both variants

In the picture above, all foam discs have been removed, which sounds very good with tonally warmer amps (ifi, Rebel Amp 
) because the bass is more defined.

With the second model, I left everything in its original state and only stretched the G-pads over which, in my opinion, was the better solution for amps such as Topping, THX 
, since the highs are not transmitted as sharp and the bass preserved.

2 Likes

Lol the new clear version are perfect. These already look like dollar store headphones and this makes them look even cheaper(not that $30 isn’t cheap). I’ve thought about picking them up just because, rhythm beige is the look I personally like the most. The clear with the red and blue internals is pretty neat though.

I have the inner foam discs removed on both my Ultras and Yaxi pairs and I noticed a difference as well. I am really enjoying both.

1 Like

Hi Michael !

That’s a nice looking mod, never saw someone do that. Can you please share the video that you are talking about ? Your work is the only one I saw without covering the design of the Kph30i. I’m planning to do this on the Kph30i Clear version and dont want to slide the Grado pads and cover the outershell with foam like most people on the internet do. Your reply is deeply appreciated , thank you very much

After seeing @Skywalker1974 's post about the GMR’s I was intrigued. I saw that Drop currently has the GMR-54x-ISO available, and had a credit to burn, so I pulled the trigger. Not a bad deal at $8 (taxes & shipping).

Now to see how long the headband lasts (I have a rather fat head), place your bets.

Are there any mods published for the GMR’s? I haven’t been able to find anything so far.

I also didn’t see a dedicated thread for them, should we start one? Or is the fact they share the KPH drivers enough to keep them here?

Well, I made a quick research, but this has the 60 ohm koss driver and its open or semi-open

The drop version is closed 35 Ohm so i doubt it will sound the same

Is here someone who has (or tried) both yaxi pads and the grado chonksters?
Comparison between those two would be appreciated

Just wanted to remind you that the AIR (open back version) has the same 60 Ohm driver as the KPH30i, Porta Pro, etc. The closed back version - for whatever reason is a 35 Ohm driver. I guess it’s because that’s a closed back version, and the 60 Ohm drivers are used in only open backs
 Anyways, at 8 bucks that’s a no brainer
 Let us know how they sound when you get them. I only can confirm that the 545 AIR is awesome. Somewhere between the stock KPH30i and the grado mod version.

Yeah, I saw the impedance difference before I ordered, but I already have 2 open KPH30i’s, so like you said for $8 why not.

It will be interesting to hear how much of a difference there is between them and my Yaxi/Ultra 30i’s, and see what I can do to tinker with them.

For basiccally double the price its not as big no-brainer as the Kph30i is, I guess

But the build looks superior, detachable cable and its actually a proper headphone :laughing:
If I wasnt into ghetto shit like modded Kph30i, I would definitely conssider a buy

Wait

I ignored the price of 8 dollars, cause I thought it was a missclick :laughing:
Thats ridiculous
 Anyways, waiting for your opinions on them :smile:

I have Yaxi and Grado knockoff pad versions and they both sound great.

I use the Yaxi’s when I am wandering for errands, and the Grado’s are my desktop rig pair.

I have removed the inner foam discs from behind the drivers on both pairs and find that opens them up a bit more for a more pleasing sound.

Both pairs are great upgrades from stock, with the Grado to me having a bit more air and width, especially on my desktop rig with more juice behind them.

For the price of both setups it is hard to go wrong with doing both.

2 Likes

So basically

If I fk up the mmcx mod and tear the stock pads, there should be no consequences

Thats nice to hear :smile:

Exactly. I would tear up the pads just for the satisfaction of it, and for the excuse to Yaxi/Grado them :slight_smile:

Next mod I am looking at for the 30i’s is the MMCX as well. Just waiting until I move and have a better workspace to do it in. Might rewire the GMR’s as well for balanced, we shall see.

1 Like

how is the GRM build compared to the KPH30i? and the sound
how similar? better? worse? I really like the 30i’s and plan on getting another pair (Amazon wants $75 CAD for them right now!) when their price isn’t lunacy.

also, is the mic detachable? cause I really don’t need / want a mic

So anybody agree with this?

1 Like

Wait, the clears are different? I didn’t get them because I already have the regular KPH30i with Yaxi pads
 :thinking: