šŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

The koss kph30i with an eq*
(-3 db at 63)
(-2 db at 125)

Is basically the best headphone i ever heard under 40ā‚¬ period.

I have the hd600 , sundara, elegia which i love to a fault
And yet i still want to hear them from times to times.
Especially when i go back out into the human
World ā€¦ what strange creatures .

In short ,My vampire ass love these kph30i with eq.

*Eq on a recent Samsung device

3 Likes

Has anyone found a 3rd party headband for this? The plastic on my Clearā€™s broke right on the slider, so no amount of glue fixes it. I really donā€™t get why they used a completely different clip design than the PortaPro and KSC75.

Parts Express headband could probably work just about the same as shown here:

And another video on how to remove them in the first place:

1 Like

just tried, it doesnā€™t, neither the porta pro one, interesting the drivers pop up tho, might work with some other one, cause the stock one is horrendousā€¦

What headphones are you comparing iems too. What have you tried? Whatā€™s the price range.

For my budget Iā€™d like comparisons to the top $200-400 picks hd600, Hd6xx, Sundara. Do they hold a candle to the best iems at the same prices like sub $250 and $350.

You canā€™t really say iems are better without implying price to performance and without going up against the very best. You guys have probably gone over this a million times though so Iā€™m not really looking for a long explanation here just throwing this into the conversation.

You can just push them over the clips on the parts express headband, but as soon as you put any outward pressure on them (like your head) they slip off because thereā€™s nothing but friction holding them in place. For some inexplicable reason Koss turned the clips on the KPH30i vertically.

To this day, I still enjoy having the KPH30i on my ears and there are those moments that are like ā€œYeah, this is why I loved this and it is still magic.ā€ Even though the KPH40 for me are even better in terms of it being more moddable and improved in terms of sounds.

Though what if the KPH30i just straight up went like the KPH40 in the first place? like having a replaceable headband and hell, an even better detachable cable for I am just not a fan of the Koss Utility method. I bet that version that I imagined for KPH30i would sell like hot-cakes.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the KPH40 for a few months, just also tried the KPH30i clears, and I just think the 30i clear sounds less muddy and tighter than the 40. The KPH40 sounds pretty much exactly like the PortaPro to me, a bit too much bass bloat and not enough clarity in the midrange + treble. So in general, for most music, i would pick the 30i. Also the 30i has a bigger soundstage to my ears.

2 Likes

While I am still more of a fan of the KSC75, I do find myself using the KPH40 with Yaxi Pads more.

Hi all,

Has anyone here tried the Dekoni Grado pads to compare them to the generic pads being used for 30i Ultras?

Iā€™ve been hoping Zeos would post a video comparing them, but no luck so far.

At $50 a pair I have been hesitant to buy them given the 30iā€™s were only $30. I should probably just jump off of my wallet and get a set, but I guess it is the principle of it holding me back.

Thanks.

1 Like

I had to do a repair for a MMCX connector that came loose, so I decided to try some damping mods to help tame the high end sizzle I have when using the Grado pads, and see if I could get more low end.

I had some transpore surgical tape (readily available on Amazon) left over from my Fostex modding days and used it to cover the vent holes in the cup from the inside. The nice thing about the transpore tape is that it is covered in tiny holes, so it does not completely block all airflow, it just dampens it. Along with the tape I have the stock cup foam inserts.

With just the addition of the tape I did notice a small bump in the low end, so with that I went to work on trying to ā€œtuneā€ the driver.

I cut small strips of the transpore tape and covered up different sections of the front of the driver to see how the sound was affected. I finally landed on the following configurationā€¦

The photo is of the left driver. I have found that tape placement front to back, top to bottom, can affect the sound a fair amount thanks to ear shape (most likely), so keep that in mind.

With the tape on the driver the sizzle is gone, but the highs that I do want are all still there. With that high end noise tamed the low end has opened up a bit more as well. I really like the much more balanced sound, and the soundstage/imaging are still just as great as before.

I will run them like this for a while, but may do a little more fine tuning later.

I have the new Dekoni Porta Pro pads coming in tomorrow for my KPH40ā€™s, so once I test the new pads I might try a little fine tuning with the tape on those as well.

If you have any questions just let me know.

1 Like