šŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 20.02.35

This is what I use on my KPH30iā€™s, stock pads, no mods. I think they sound pretty damn good out of the box and I think my settings are just modest tweaks. Iā€™m on a Mac so I route all my audio through AudioUnits, and I find the KPH30iā€™s respond really well on the 31-band.

Hereā€™s my logic behind my settings:

• I pump up the 50Hz for some bass impact and body
  • Decrease the 125-160Hz a little bit to remove some of the boominess and bring more clarity to the low end
  • Push up the 500Hz range to bring vocals a little bit more forward and present
  • Push down the 2k range to mitigate some of the shoutiness
  • Push up the 16k range to add some sparkle, clarity and presence

I find my settings really adds life and naturalism to the KPH30i stock configuration. For me, with the EQ they rival my Sennheiser HD58x, which has only a very slight edge in soundstage and clarity. The KPH30i makes up for it in bass quantity, where I find the HD58x is detailed in bass but lacking in oomph. I listen to everything, from rock to orchestral, jazz, hip hop, EDM, etc., and I find my settings sound pretty good for most music.

My setup: Foobar2000 (Crossover on Mac) > SoundSource (AUGraphicEQ) > Topping D30 > JDS Atom

SOLVED KPH40 BALANCED

I already had the sennheiser cable and it TOTALLY works, im planning on getting the connectors from amazon to make my own shorter cable but thats a while down the road

i have NOT tested phasing on the new fantasia cable but that MAY be an issue

1 Like

FINALLY did the ultra mod with the grado pads. Iā€™m kind of liking the sound with original pads taken off, the foam backing inside placed in front of the speaker inside the grado pads. In this setup Iā€™m getting a little more sparkly but iā€™m getting some great definition on bass while not totally losing the slight boom to some of it. Especially in something like Hot Summer Night by Jimi Hendrix itā€™s clear these are what I probably want to listen to.

Christmas presents for the family might have to be some modded kph30i

2 Likes

Someone is getting an excellent Xmas present.

7 Likes

I know Iā€™m probably saying nothing new, but I finally got a pair of these on Black Friday for $20 and they are one of the most fun pair of headphones I have (up there with my meze 99 classics). I held off doing the ultra mod for a bit, but it just made them even better! They make everything I throw at them fun to listen to.

1 Like

continuity update: i think i found a good video that features the dekoni grado pads:

they donā€™t seem to be on sale just yet though

1 Like

When the pads cost twice as much as the headphones

Left the pair I got Friday to burn in through this morning, and figured Iā€™d give them a go running off my Fiio M5. It may simply be Iā€™ve experienced more technically accurate products, but I donā€™t find myself being blown away. Donā€™t get me wrong, they arenā€™t badā€¦ Iā€™m just not getting that ā€œOh my God, this is incredible!ā€ kinda reaction. As weird as it sounds, I kinda like my 5XX more. The 5XX isnā€™t close to my favorite, but I like it a bit more then I like these.
These feel more like a ā€œgood enoughā€ kinda headphone

They are good for the price but when compared side by side to other more capable headphones they show their downsides.

1 Like

I disliked the KPH30i normal or ultra modded due to being too uncomfortable to wear for more than ~30 minutes while PortaPros/KSC75 are fine for me. They just didnā€™t sound good enough for me to try to find a way to make it work out, especially when I knew that the plastic is a ticking time bomb.

1 Like

The problem is, it has been a few weeks since Iā€™ve listened to any other headphones. Mostly itā€™s been the Sony WF-1000XM3 and Edifier TWS1 PRO, which are both tws, I tend to use at work and around the house, not when doing critical listeningā€¦ and yet I prefer both over the KPH30i. This isnā€™t even taking into account comfort, or all the nit picking problems I have with the Sony. On a ā€œhow does it sound with how have I used themā€ I donā€™t care for the Koss as much.

I think price and appearance setting expectations have a massive amount to do with the deserved hype-train. I also find them uncomfortable, mitigated some with Yaxi pads. My friend did an ā€œultraā€ mod and his were incredibly comfy to me, but they also brokeish (lot of pressure on them with that mod). Theyā€™re my grocery shopping/yardwork headphones. Theyā€™re my soul headphones, great in that type of mid-bass heavy genre. Youā€™re comparing these to $200 planar magnetic cans, they cost $20, of course. But, youā€™re not the unsuspecting person that is thinking ā€œyeah rightā€ when your friend throws KPHā€™s at you and are like ā€œg0t damnā€ when you hear them. You are 690 messages into a hypethread on a strange corner of the internet ā€” so expectations are big and thusly they underwhelm.

1 Like

The price and appearance arenā€™t that big a thing to me. I never said I found them uncomfortable. Iā€™ve compared them to all the other headphones I have, including my Porta Pros, and my IEMs. Out of everything I still have, the Blon BL02 are still what I like the least. I use them less then the 1More Piston Fit, and I rarely touch those anymore. Whatā€™s bad to me, my enjoyment wasnā€™t that much more then the 1More. Again, this could be my exposure to much more technically capable hardware, setting a higher standard in my psyche. I will acknowledge that, but I do not look at things in a sense of ā€œwhat did you cost meā€ rather then a ā€œhow much pleasure do I get from youā€ perspective. These just donā€™t do it for me. They arenā€™t badā€¦ They just donā€™t give me a level of enjoyment that makes me want more.

Yes, so much yes here.

I like them for certain types of music. Eric Clapton 24 Nights sounds great with them, and I am guessing the less than perfect nature is great for a lot live music. But they sound weird if I am going from a day of listening to stuff on the 7Hz Timeless, which is a very precise magnetic planar IEM that is a bit more upscale.

1 Like

Iā€™m more coming from being used to a couple different pairs of tws IEMs: Sony WF1000XM3 and Edifier TWS1 Pro. Iā€™ll admit, the Sony is better tuned, and more technically capableā€¦ However I prefer the Edifier thanks to all the problems I have with the Sony on a form and function stand point that kinda kills my enjoyment. Then I move to the Koss, and Iā€™ve tried the Nier:Automata orchestral arrangement, Sugao by Tsukimiya Midori, Cephid, Elvis, Galdive, Geoxor, Ghost Data, Human by Rag-n-bone Man, Trivium, Changes by Charles Bradleyā€¦ Nothing stuck. Nothing. I was honestly left disappointed that I got no enjoyment from them. No desire to keep listening, wanting to hear more.

1 Like

Headphones in general cannot compete with IEMs, not only KPH30iā€¦ Headphones in most cases only win in the sound stage sector, so if youā€™re really used to IEM sound, of course KPH30i will sound lackluster to you.

The only headphone that sounded like a IEM for me was the 1More Triple-Driver Over-Ear, at the expense of width.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the thing to meā€¦ I prefer headphones. Almost hands down.

1 Like

Then itā€™s just a preference thing, maybe itā€™s just a pity that it doesnā€™t pair well with your ears :man_shrugging: There are comments out there that say they prefer Porta Pro signature over KPH30i heavily, maybe youā€™re in that camp.

If you like a ā€œfunā€ sound that is accurate, with a mid-bass bump that can compliment large swaths of music and only improve with mods, then the kph30is are standouts. If you want technical perfection and accuracy then some 20$ plastic bois are not going to do it for ya, especially if you arenā€™t tickled by the performance vs cost factor

4 Likes

Add me to the list of people with a broken headband. I think the plastic may have become brittle from being left in a dry environment for long time. Anyway if you want to preserve your headband, be careful how much you flex it.