🔶 Koss KPH30i

Any thoughts on the best pads? Yaxi? Grado? Geekria?

It depends on the sound you are looking for. I find there is a big enough difference between the Yaxi and Geekria 1000 pads that I have 2 30i’s to run both.

Before the 40 announcement I was really interested in the new Dekoni Grado pads, however I’m going to wait and see how the 40’s sound and what can be done with them first.

2 Likes

I personally prefer the sound and comfort of the Yaxi pads, it’s a bit warmer than the Grad/ultra swap but I have two pairs of KPH30i’s that I swap between depending on mood.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try both!

Omg lol!!!

I thought I had a problem :rofl:

1 Like

Comes to my mind (from Sideways): “I went deep last night.”

Have the ksc75 and planning to buy a few more kph30i and ksc75 come Black Friday. Does anyone know how these headphones stack up to say a 560s?

Are the porta pro’s worth owning a set?

Looking for a cheap pair for a Nintendo switch while away from home. Is the 560s the better choice?

I take both the KPH30i and the KSC75 over the 560s. KPH30i is tuned more to my preference and has better timbre, tonality is warmer and different though.

KSC75 has better tuned treble and more natural timbre.

2 Likes

Thank you! Saving my money for a mountain of Koss gear for the family then!

I also think the koss are better tuned, and actually sold my 560s, but they (the 560s) have way more in your face detail and impressive soundstage, pretty sure they’d feel like a big upgrade.

It’s always hard to explain that the 600 line is way better in the long run, more natural and more refined, while also being way less impressive and feeling like less of an upgrade at first.

1 Like

Already have a 600 on the way, but specifically looking for something easy to drive from a Nintendo switch.

1 Like

Yeh then just stick to koss, 560s and 660s are easier to drive than 600 but still need a decent source…

1 Like

This is exactly how I feel about the 6XX.

Here’s something I wrote on another board a while ago:

The 6XX are an interesting headphone because most people love them (myself included), but they’re not a flashy or show offy headphone.

With some headphones, you put them on and you can immediately hear something really notable about them, like powerful bass or piercing highs or incredible detail or some other quality that stands out immediately.

The 6XX are more subtle. They offer pretty good detail, the bass is decent (but not powerful), and the mids are excellent, but as a whole, there is no singular aspect about them that is immediately apparent like with some other headphones. They just feel like a really well-rounded, warm, enjoyable headphone.

Their build is the same way. They don’t look flashy and they don’t use any exotic materials or crazy designs, and yet if you ask anyone with a pair, they’re built to last. Even though they’re mostly plastic with a bit of metal, they’re just a very solidly constructed headphone that will last you years to come. Same with the aesthetics. They’re not ostentatious in the way something from Focal or Meze is, but they just have a classy, respectable look to them.

The 6XX are like the Honda Civic of the audiophile world. They’re built well, they perform really well for their price, and they just provide an overall really enjoyable experience to users. Even people who are well acquainted with top of the line, multi thousand dollar headphones from Hifiman or Meze or Abyss or Audeze - still tend to love the 6XX/650/600 and have a pair in their collection.

In terms of both sound quality and build, the 6XX are like a warm blanket. There’s nothing super exotic about them, but they’re just really lovable all around.

5 Likes

dekoni makes pads for grados?

Zeos showed a set in a video or 2 the past couple of weeks. Looks like they are not available yet.

They have definitely piqued my interest though. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Was this in the unboxing channel, or a small cameo in a review? I’m interested in seeing what they look like.

For anyone familiar with guns, I see the Sennheiser 6-series as being analogous to Glock.

Tried and true design, doesn’t do anything poorly, nearly universally liked and admired, and while some people may not like them, everyone should try one and most people own one.

1 Like

This is a seriously impressive collection of Koss gear and modifications!

any ideas for a good EQ?