đŸ”¶ Koss KSC-75 / X

ehm, BOTH? :joy:

No problems swapping them for me, just be careful to not damage the “pins” on the cups/drivers.

1 Like

It’s a bit off-topic, so if you’re interested in actually chatting about polyamory, we can move it to another thread or PMs or something, but yes! Both! <3 <3

So I did end up tearing the pads when removing them from the KPH30i, but I still have two good sets (one each from the KSC75 and Porta Pro), and I’m pretty sure I didn’t damage any of the pins on any of them.

I feel like the Porta Pro, modded or not, doesn’t have the chops to pull off the bass elevation that it’s going for, so it sounds bloated, which the pad swap doesn’t really help with. Whereas the stock KSC75 had the opposite issue of sounding too thin and was missing a body/fullness for me, which the Yaxi pads actually did help quite a bit with, though I would certainly believe that the change has more to do with the fit than the pads. But the KPH30i still strikes the best balance for what I’m looking for, I like the KPH30i quite a lot.

2 Likes

My ranking (as can be seen in my database):

Porta Pro <<< KSC75 <= KPH30i

1 Like

I see you’re on iPhone. I’m just curious, do you see any benefit in sound quality with your setup, streaming AAC bluetooth from your iPhone to the BTR5? Versus straight-up plugging in your headphones to the iPhone with the lightning dongle? This is something I’ve been wondering about for a really long time.

Hi, do someone tell me which is better between Aliexpress’ and parts express’ headband?

Which is which?

Aliepress’ one → Headband Head Pad Top Cushion For KOSS Porta Pro PP KSC35 KSC75 KSC55 Headphone Portable Featherweight Version|Earphone Accessories| - AliExpress

parts express’ one → Parts Express Mini Stereo Lightweight Headphones with 4 ft. Cord

1 Like

Aaahh, I see, so, I have the PE one, the newer one I think with the little corners at the top but same plastic parts and it’s great.
The AliExpress one looks just as great. Difference seems to be that the metal slider slides on the inside off the plastic in contrast to the PE one and the shape at the end is round instead of rectangular. So it depends which you like more. It’s also 4x the price. If the plastic is 4x stronger then it must be better.
Personally I will wait for the new KPH40s and their headband which looks much much better esthetically and maybe even more durable.
In the end all three should be almost exactly the same comfort wise. You bend them to your liking so
 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I saw the band of the koss kph40 utility, and looks great. Will the new kph40s has the same? And do you know when they will be available?

KPH40s? I don’t think there is one
 It’s the KPH40 Utility and it’s new alright. No idea when it’s coming to Europe unfortunately.

Not in any rush myself. 75 drivers on PE headband is all I need. The KPH40 and a new PortaPro Hot, I just WANT. :yum:

Welp, having a 75 and 30i, I’m going for the 35
!

Here are my impressions, KSC75 vs KSC35 vs KPH30i

BASS(general quantity): 30i > 35 > 75
TREBLE(general quality): 75 > 35 > 30i
VOCHLE REALISM: 75 > 35 > 30i
SPATIAL PERFORMANCE: 75 > 35 > 30i
TONALITY: 35 > 75 > 30i
COMFORT: 30i > 75 > 35
LISTENING FATIGUE(least to most): 30i > 35 > 75

35:
Less peaky and bright than 75, but slightly more (minor) sibilance. Cymbals are pretty splashy/shouty/annoying. Decently tight & meaty bass. Terrible fit.

75:
The most bright and detail-oriented treble, but with minor sibilance. Less splashy than 35, but cymbals are still annoying. Bass kind of soft and bloaty. Good clarity, general tonality, and spaciousness. Good fit(for this design, at least).

30i:
The most bassy, most smooth, and least detailed. Significantly less clear, due to the extra bass and/or cut treble. No sibilance noted. Dark/semi-dark tuning. Most efficient driver. Least problematic sounding, but also the most basic sounding.

My recommendation? These are all pretty garbage, honestly - get a Tin T2, ZEX, BLON 03, YBF, ZAS, AS10, ZSN Pro, DQ6, or save up for something even better. If I had to choose one, for some strange reason/purpose, it would be 75, 30i, or yard sale speakers/headphones.

In case anyone’s looking to get these polyester covered donut pads for the KSC75 (or its relatives): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003116963780.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.3d0818020qYbGi

What I can say after the first few hours is 1. the thickness seems huge to me vs. how little they compress, I’ve had to bend the earhooks way out and I still haven’t recovered the original sense of “vanishingly comfortable” that was their trademark, and 2. they make the sound way more bassy, like I don’t need measurements or A/B or anything, it’s just obviously more bassy. Kind of what I would’ve expected from a “coin mod”, which shouldn’t be too surprising since they’re pretty much already “coin mod” shaped.

I got these polyester ones hoping for durability after I saw the originals on my oldest pair absolutely disintegrate as if they had rotted away. Horrible to see and to have to clean up.

After a little more usage of the above donut pads: very uncomfortable in combination with earhooks, they make the bass bloated and the treble (relatively?) muffled, and overall they make the KSC75 unrecognizable. Bad buy, I ultimately can’t recommend these to anyone. Sadly I took too long to test them and I couldn’t post a review on Ali, but at least I can leave this info here.

@abm0 Best sound imo is original pads if using earhooks. Otherwise my
favorite is to put the KSC 75 on a headband such as Parts Express, etc and
use Yaxi pads for improved comfort, slightly better bass due to a bit of extra clamping, and only a small decrease in mids clarity. Love the soundstage on
these, btw.

Yeah, for sound quality I know, that’s what I’ll reluctantly have to return to - thin spongy pads -, and I’ll just have to live with the possibility of that rot-like disintegration happening after some years of usage. I guess I could peel that mess off in front of an active vacuum cleaner nozzle next time, I’m paranoid about those tiny synthetic crumbs getting everywhere and especially into my lungs.

1 Like

Koss Portable Replacement Cushions (amazon.com)

This may help you.

Ehh, double the price just to ship to EU. :slight_smile: I’ll be looking closer to home / cheaper to ship, and would really like to find non-originals in the hope that maybe just maybe I can avoid that disintegration style that the originals do.

Got it. Wasn’t sure where you’re located. Good luck.

Boom! 37 eurocents a pair, 2.2 EUR shipped (but really it’s less of the shipping per pair because I got 4 pairs + a bunch of PortaPro temple-pads from the same seller), feels more like a regular sponge that I don’t expect will rot away, sound is absolutely normal (no bloated bass, no loss of highs) aaand they’re color-matched for the first time in their lives. :heart:

Can you imagine if they had always looked like this stock, including a grey wire? They might’ve never got as much of a reputation for standing out on your ears and looking super-dorky, who knows.

Next up in mods: since I was shocked to find out the BTR3 has been underpowering them all this time, I need a better portable solution, and since no LDAC receiver-DAC-amp at a comparable price to the BTR3 seems to be able to put at least 100 mW into 32 ohms single-ended (my minimum I’ve estimated for these to get what they need at their 60 ohms), I may just have to replace their plug with a TRRS or pentaconn since thankfully the stock cable is already 4-wire all the way. (It’s either that or I’ll give up on BT and just get a mini smartphone that fits in my front pocket while I’m sitting down and I will power these from the HiBy FC3 in high-gain mode. Haven’t decided yet.)

3 Likes