šŸ”¶ KZ ZEX Pro Tribrid

Tear-down of ZEX PRO: Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread | Page 3840 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org. Credit and thanks to the OP.

1 Like

I received my zex pro today. I tried the default tips and changed them 30seconds later for spinfit cp100; safest bet for the seal. Iā€™ll have to try these tips another time.

For now, this set seems in the warmish side: it do not get sibilances where I usually have. The bass doesnā€™t seem to bleed to much if at all.
The cable is crap.
The fit is not bad at all. It is thick though, so side sleeping with these could be a bit complicated.

1 Like

The tips and cables have gotten worse on the recent KZ sets, but the tuning has gotten way better. They have managed to make me miss the old weird brown cables.

Very much disagree. I really like it! It doesnā€™t have much ā€œrolled up memoryā€. Itā€™s nice and thin, right angle connector is a bit too thicc but other than that? Itā€™s a ā€˜goodā€™ cable. Not one Iā€™d pay extra for certainly. But a good cable for an included one (beats the FH3 lol)

What displeased me on the cable is:

• the fact that it took me 2 minutes to figure out where the left and right were
  • the bending of the connector: it is bent towards the head, increasing the risk of discomfort

Regarding fit, the wing on the top destroyed my ears when I tried side sleeping in about 5 minutes. Now I feel this part hurt even when Iā€™m standing up.

1 Like

something similar with DQ6, can be used for normally but the wings kinda make my ear hurt after awhile.

Fit is always personal :slight_smile:
And thatā€™s kinda what I have with nearly every QDC connector. They print on the L an R where you canā€™t read it unless you angle it juuuuust right.

For me comfort i fine. I have small ears so the hooks grab on perfectly :slight_smile:

Looks like Iā€™ll be getting mine tomorrow or Monday. Any song requests for me to try?

Vitas - 7th element comes to mind.

1 Like

LOL i had to youtube this. On my TWS (Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro), it is like all bass

I compared the zex pro with my main reference: the moondrop aria.

And it is a hard call for me: I find the signatures to be pretty close from one another. The aria has more sub-bass and less mid-bass (Iā€™d say 15%). The treble is smoother on the zex (less sibilances). For now thatā€™s pretty much all I can say. I should compare them more to get other differences, but iā€™m not sure I have enough experience in the hobby to tell really useful and accurate things.

7 Likes

Decided to sell my KZ ZEX Pro. Thought Iā€™d try a tribrid but I donā€™t hear a difference between 2 or 3 driver types. KZ ZEX Pro (basically new) | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org.

I canā€™t even tell the difference between 1 and several drivers , nor between driver types. I mainly have mono DD, though, so I donā€™t have much experience with other technologies.

At the end of the day, what matters is your enjoyment with the set. If you canā€™t find an edge that this set could have over other sets you already possess, thereā€™s no reason keeping it.

1 Like

That seems like a win to me.

Add to that they are likely made better, too many cable connector issues on the Aria ( mine didnā€™t last 4 months ).

1 Like

I understand that. Mine has a wiggly connector on the left bud. I tell myself that Iā€™ll buy a set of Kato when this one dies :sweat_smile:

I prefer the aria because itā€™s a reference for me since I have it and because I like its ā€œneutral bass with good extensionā€. I just say that the fit of the zex pro hurts my ears; even without it hurting me, this prominent wing prevents any sleep-listening with it, which is a bad point for me.

1 Like

So, apparently, this set is tuned by Crin, huh?

Why do they stealth released this kind of collab under the name of ZEX Pro??

KZ please.

8 Likes

Still trying to understand if the Electrostatic has really been swapped to Magnetostatic, or is it just rhetorics and they call it whatever they want while being the same thing :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I think it has always been like that, just marketing tricks that probably crin called out.

What boggles my mind is, why did they release the iem without the colab credits? Going for the homerun without paying the dime?

KZ šŸ¤¦

4 Likes

I too have a very faint memory that Crin was clarifying that ā€œElectretā€ is still magnetic based in one of his recent videos, wondering if thatā€™s the reason why KZ decided to clear the confusion on the naming but itā€™s actually just the same thing

But yes, this marketing sequence is mind boggling

4 Likes

Playing devilā€™s advocate: did Crin wait to see the response of reviewers before confirming his involvement?

Or: KZ was super smart in marketing strategy - ride the Oh itā€™s new and initial Hype wave, then once sales dip, announce the Collab for a sales boost?

PSA: My set is still for sale!

4 Likes