🔷 Lake People G111

I think some of the sigma delta dacs I like with those tend to end up being a bit above the 1k mark. If you had to have something sigma delta I think an allo revolution with a shanti lps is pretty great on the more budget side of things (but I’d assume you would want a larger upgrade), but going up you could try and find a used bryston bda-2 or ayre qb-9 (both around 1.1k used) keeping decently neutral, a mytek liberty would be nice if you wanted to lean a bit more analytical. I do really like something like a crane song solaris quantum with the g111 for something natural neutral but that’s getting up there in price (1.5k used).

Other good r2r exist in this price range for the lake people like a holo cyan, mhdt orchid, an exogal comet plus (although that’s fpga), and others but I wouldn’t really go higher for a g111

1 Like

No need, I have plenty of sigma-delta DACs in my life (aka, everything that plays sound in my house :rofl:). Just a curiosity is the reason I asked. I considered going to the Allo Revolution DAC (I’m currently using a Soncoz LA-QXD1). But unless it’s a meaningful improvement over what I have now, I think I would rather wait, save my money, and get an upgrade that’ll really move the needle (such as the Soekris or Denifraps).

Thanks again!

1 Like

Would you say whilst Ares II / G111 is not neutral it is still not overly warm (at least more neutral than a pairing like Modius/Asgard)? The reason I like the pairing is the slightly wider stage, thicker / more body and slightly more engaging sound, in NOS mode, compared to 1321 (but also somewhat pretty smooth and laid back at the same time, possible due to the wider/deeper stage. I haven’t spent too much time but i have the impression that OS on Ares II can tilt the sound slightly more neutral than NOS, Altho still different from 1321.

Yeah it’s not overwhelming but definitely noticable, I would say it’s more neutral than something like a modius/asgard

A3 is heaviest. Mojo is cutest and highest price/size ratio.

5 Likes

Sooo… A) How to change this to 115V? o_ o My German isn’t the best. Do I have to unscrew the power cord receptacle with 2 star-tip bits(I don’t have these) to access a secret switch…? From what I understand, you lose 50% power by using a 115V cable with the unit set to 230V.

B) According to the manual, it’s factory set to 230V. How can I tell what it’s currently set to? (The US seller claims it’s set to 115V, though how can I tell? - he could not tell or show me)

G111 manual:

V590 manual:

the g103/g105 youll have to solder internally for the 115/230V conversion not shure if its the same for the g111 o_O

1 Like

hm the transformer looks like he has 2 115v coils, a pic of the underside could show a diagram for 115/230V conection
otherwise i can only see the ground isolation pin and the pins for gain setting

Underside of the coil? Or the PCB? Or interior of case on the bottom? I haven’t taken anything out yet. Underside of the amp exterior is just black paint, like the top.

underside of the PCB sorry for the misunderstanding XD

Well, it’s a good question haha. Hm indeed.

ill take a look at my 230V g103 so i can see if the trafo for 230v is differnt :wink:

1 Like

I don’t have a problem moving to Europe for 230V if we can’t figure this out. I hear Switzerland, Finland and the Netherlands are nice. Japan…? :thinking: :thinking:

Japan is 100v so you wouldn’t be able to use it there without a step up transformer lol

Anyways regarding the g111 issue, I have no idea myself, so perhaps shoot an email to arthur I believe at power holdings and see if he can give you any insight

switzerland has some nice locations but living there is pretty expensive :stuck_out_tongue:
so back to topic did look at my g103 and couldnt find any jumpers for scematics for 230 to 115V conversion, to like MON said best to get the oppionion from a pro :wink:
otherwise im wondering why your ground pin isnt conected ?

I don’t know. I need an expert! Or a complete manual lol. Just beside the orange-red jumper there, says “GND” on the PCB. Looking at the manual, I suppose it’s currently in the RIGHT jumper setting position(“Ground disconnected”)?
gnd

If it’s set to 240V and you use it on 120V, it’ll just not work.
Power it on, plug something cheap into it, and proceed depending on what you hear.
Given it doesn’t have a switch it’ll either have a wire on the bottom of the board bridging the Transformer coils, or less likely it’s auto sensing.

1 Like

found the manual for the g111 on powerholdings site

1 Like

Damn, wish I had a Modi around. I hate those things!!

think he tought more of a headphone :stuck_out_tongue: than a dac, but if nothing goes wrong you simply should have only half the power available and the gain should be lower