šŸ”· Lawton Mods for Fostex Biodynamic-Driver Headphones

Same here, thatā€™s why I decided to go with the Koa when I did mine.

1 Like

Not yet since he said theyā€™re going through the process of making them and no idea. Wouldnā€™t hurt to ask of he had any more.

1 Like
5 Likes

@WaveTheory Can you post short impressions on TH909 vs x00 Lawton Purplehearts (/w your preferred pad choice/s)? Iā€™m mainly interested in stage size/forwardness/tallness of sound, dynamics and bass vs treble balance. Are they on an equal playing field or is the 909 a step up? What genres do you prefer them with?

A quick question regarding Fostex models and Lawton Modsā€¦Ok Iā€™m a 99% IEM listener but I managed to snag a mint pair of PurpleHearts which I really enjoy and Iā€™d like improve what Iā€™m already hearing (mostly detail and slam) :upside_down_face::crazy_face:

So what would you suggest the best way forwardā€¦

A : Get a pair of TH 900ā€™s
B : Keep the PurpleHearts and get a Lawton tune up kit
C : Keep the PurpleHearts, get a tune up kit and a type 4 Chamber

Any thoughts would be appreciated

:beers:

@WaveTheory Hey buddy any input regarding my dilemma :smiley:

TBH I think in the long run the your best move is option D: Get a pair of TH900 and then save until you can add the Lawton tune up and type 4 chambers to them. I say this because:

1. The Fostex THX00 series is still sought after and should be rather easy to sell.
  2. The TH900 retains the slam of and adds much more detail/resolution than the X00 series.
  3. Lawton mods were built on and perform best on the TH900 series.

:beers:

2 Likes

Oh, if you go with my suggestion above you need to think about amps too. The TH900 is amp-picky AF.

1 Like

:dotted_line_face: Iā€™d be running ā€˜em off a DX312 :man_shrugging:

Yeah canā€™t say for sure. How is it handling the treble on the X00? If itā€™s doing OK with that odds are decent youā€™ll like the result on the TH900 as well.

Thisā€™s where it gets confusing I did try them on the DX300 with the og amp 11 (which I still have) as it has a 3.5mm out and tbh I preferred them on my iFi iDSD Micro so I guess they are amp-picky :grimacing:. As you know Iā€™m an IEM :nerd_face: so donā€™t really want to spend Ā£2k on a chain Iā€™d only use from time to timeā€¦However thereā€™s a pair of og 900ā€™s in good condition on UK eBay for Ā£560 so maybe I could be tempted :thinking:

Digging that Fostex sound are you @Ohmboy? It is addictive :musical_note:

Iā€™ve havenā€™t thought about running them portable for myself, but I do recall from when I was burying myself in the Fostex threads that there were quite a number of cats working them portable for commute etc. I think it could be worth it to pick up a set like you mentioned, and give them a try with your gear. I wouldnā€™t worry about any of the Lawton mod options until you know if, and/or what it is you want to tweak since that will help guide your selections for mod(s).

2 Likes

FWIW, I spent a significant amout of time exploring various Fostex models including several pairs with different versions of the Lawton mods applied and @Delta9K is giving you some solid advice on going with 900 over X00. The TH900s are like having a whole buffet of that infamous Fostex sound/slam while the X00 are like having an appetizer. Not that the X00 arenā€™t good, itā€™s just that if youā€™re going to start putting money into modding them and such it really does just make more sense to move up to the 900.

Iā€™ve used the TH900 with the Lawton type 4 chambers portably with my A&K Kann Alpha and with my ifi Gryphon. The Gryphon wasnā€™t the best pairing, but I thought they sounded great with the Kann Alpha. I donā€™t have them around anymore as theyā€™re ultimately just not my thing, but I keep some Emu Teaks around when I want a little taste lol! :joy:

1 Like

900s and your micro should pair nicely. I really enjoy my micro signature with my PW 900s.
Iā€™m with everyone else, start with the 900s and mod from there.

1 Like

So what do you guys think about getting Lawton pads or Ori pads for a pearl white edition. Iā€™m thinking a little more space and comfort could make them pretty formidable in total headphone arena.

1 Like

Canā€™t comment on those two but hereā€™s one more to check out, with my limited experience theyā€™re pretty awesome imhoā€¦

hereā€™s one reviewā€¦

"So after getting my 900ā€™s Lawton modded I needed to get better pads than stock.
First up ZMF ORI good fit but mids too subdued, Fostex 610 stock pads ( was recommended these ) nope too much boomy bass, dekoni elite sheepskin and fenstrated ( perforated) nope top end lost is sparkle and bass wasnā€™t punchy. So I clasped eyes on the AHG fostex perforated leather pads, excellent fit and the sound across the range was back, bass and sub bass deep and punchy mids revealing but the highs just had that bit too much for me and had a touch of sibliance, probably because they were perforated. Then I saw these same dimensions etc as the AHG perforated but no perforation, took a gamble as Iā€™m now around Ā£200 plus in my pad rollingā€¦ Bingo ! Sub bass/ bass excellent, mids smooth and revealing and highs clear without the piercing. A definitive winner and only Ā£25 ! Highly recommended set of pads.ā€

1 Like

Thanks @Ohmboy Iā€™ll look into them.

I preferred the Oris on my Lawton 900s when I had them. They were both the most comfortable for me and the provided the best sound profile for my preferences. They smooth the treble out a bit, which was important for me, and I felt they maintained the bass slam while keeping it from crossing over into boomy territory.

1 Like

Welp bought each type of Ori for my Pearl white 900s. ZMF b stock sale ftw!!!
Mind you Iā€™ll be trying them on different headphones for the hell of it as well.

5 Likes

Guys definitely get a pilot pad and Ori pads. The comfort alone made it worth the price. Iā€™m using the solid lambskin pads right now but will be rolling others over a long period of time to get my feel for all of them.

2 Likes

Rolled the 900s with all my Oriā€™s and I have come to a couple of findings. Lambskin solid make the low-end bleed into the mids a hair, not tons but enough to be noticable. Suedeā€™s are more open sounding, treble and upper mids are elevated but damn they are comfy. Now the best of both worlds, hybrid pads, you get the comfort, bass doesnā€™t bleed as much and treble/upper mids arenā€™t as elevated as the suede. They also seem to be a little more open than the lambskins but it isnā€™t pronounced like the suede. I do have perforated lamb skins but Iā€™m going to wait a while to roll those on because Iā€™m enjoying the hybrids so much.
I hope my little adventure helps out you guys when you start modding your fostex.

4 Likes