Let's talk about computers

That was my thought when I watched GN’s video this morning. I’ve got no idea who I’m going to go with anymore. Can’t use ASRock, their UEFI is garbage. MSI is even scummier than ASUS is being here, so they are right out. Gigabyte makes some good boards, but they’ve yet to handle a single quality issue properly, so they make ASUS look downright competent. EVGA is the only “good” choice, but they only make like two boards. So what do you do?

1 Like

I’ve got an ASRock mobo right now. It’s been doing alright, but I’d like to upgrade my system, if nothing else to balance things with the GPU I bought.
MSI has absolutely done shady shit, but I don’t know if they’ve acted quite to this level of anti-consumer, delivery products clearly so seriously flawed as though they hold contempt for their customers.
Gigabyte can’t seem to keep on track with anything but slapping RGB all over everything… Unless we’re talking the whole PSU debacle…
NZXT has one option for each platform that’s… Okay.
Biostar is very limited in their selection, and has very limited availability in the US
EVGA makes great boards, though selections are very limited and are rather expensive to boot… Not to mention if you’re wanting AM5, non-existent.
ASRock seems to have their BIOS where people don’t mind it or hate it. They’ve got decent selection, but are a bit inconsistent with board quality between different lines. Some are great and over built. Others are… Lacking. They have put in effort to be better then they used to, so I’ll at least give them props for that.

I tend to ignore how scummy mai is cause they actually have good customer service in Canada. And their boards have proven their reliability to me., As well as their boards are solid. Their kinda in the same position as Asus good product shitty company. But at least their not acting like Asus at this moment But yeah it kinda sucks as most tech companies it seems are our to get us right now. I really hope evga wakes up and decides to make more options and also start making AM5 boards

1 Like

I was thinking that the 7900XT would be locked in for the Disappointment Build this year, given how mind-mindbogglingly horrible value it was. But NVIDIA just wasn’t having it. This might be the worst GPU launch since the 1030 DDR4.

1 Like

An absolutely amazing product by nVidia, arguably same or even less performance for the same price as some of their current options in the price range. Productivity work loads are going to be absolutely pitiful on this card with its absolutely small vram and memory bus, no next gen RT cores is going to save this card for any tasks. A gtx 1050 ti from 2016 has the same bus width. For much cheaper somebody could gravitate toward an rtx 3060 if they want more vram or a 3060 ti in the cases where memory bandwidth is a limitation. Manufacturing yields are not that bad where they have to cut a die so much that this is the end result.

I pray AMD could speed up the adoption of ROCm and have a smooth first impression since that is what killed the 7900 xt at launch. Doesn’t make sense how they can be that much behind when their radeon GPU’s are in some of the most powerful super computers (Frontier). Intel hopefully will have a much more complete product next time and we will see if they those two companies can eat into nvidia’s market share in the professional market as they are more likely to update their hardware due to better performance or security (also it has some of the higher profit margins for pc hardware). That is where I assume nvidia might be hurt the most in the future as at this point it seems the more “affordable” market (its still way too expensive) is just gone now and we are going to be forced to hold onto our parts for longer.

Think what you will, but I think this is a great system that should be more widely used.

2 Likes

if there is anyone here that likes small and is a fan of ITX, Gigabyte just announced a mITX board using the affordable / budget A620 chipset, the first A620 ITX product to the market. it’s rumored to have a sub-$100 starting price, meaning $99.99, which is a boon for those that want a smaller PC with performance.

the only thing that can make this better is AMD releasing Phoenix APU’s to the desktop market!

1 Like

Part of the pain in the ass was pulling everything out of the old case, but finally upgraded the case. CPU, mobo, RAM, and cooler are next on the list. Maybe get some nicer fans after that if I’m really feeling fancy.

I’d say the Thermalright Peerless Assassin is a solid choice, great value and overall great performer. If you want an AIO i personally would go EK (Arctic’ AIO looks like 90’s toy and not in the good way)

1 Like

That’s one I’ve been eyeballing. I like the aesthetic, I’ve heard it’s a great performer.
CPU, I’m thinking R7 7700(x, specific variant dependent on price at the time of purchase.)
RAM I’m looking at 32GB. I’m debating on upgrading my storage, but that’s not critical right now.
Mobo is the tricky one. With the crap that’s come out concerning ASUS and Gigabyte most recently… I want to stay away from their products for the time being.
I’ve been setting aside $100/week for the last three weeks and will continue to do so, and this is definitely a project I’d love to put that money towards, particularly if there’s something good on Prime Day.

Im running a 7700X, works great but im using an EK 360 aio - though with a Peerless Assassin you might need to undervolt it a bit to keep it in check.

As far as MOBO I get Asus, but why Gigabyte? (might have missed something)

To me the backdoor is a none issue - unlike Asus damaging CPUs and actually creating a fire hazard, here is just some idiot forgot to close a backdoor they use for updating the software. As far as the GPU thing i dont know the story so ill have to catch up.

That, combined with their behavior over the last couple years…(exploding power supply anyone?) Topped with they never (to my knowledge) tried to make up for losing their entire backlog of RMAs, basically screwing anyone who was in the process… I’m not likely to give them my money until I see a trend in their behavior that says otherwise. They can make very good products, particularly with the motherboards… But their practices make me question if I want to give them my money. Not that ASRock or MSI haven’t had their own issues (BioStar doesn’t really exist in the US, and EVGA’s offerings are scarce and rather expensive), their behavior as of late hasn’t been setting off red flags.

1 Like

Fair enough, i’d say go with MSI but you have to be a bit more selective with their MB they are not all winners but Tomahawk series are fairly solid

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zMb63y
That’s kinda the direction I’m looking at right now. I know GN looked at the Peerless Assassin (non-SE, though that version isn’t available right now) and it looked like it was chart topping, though that was using 5950X overclocked as the powerhouse to test with.

Just one thing to keep in mind, dont count on upgrading the RAM - running 4 sticks of DDR5 is a problem (stability and speed wise) so if you ever think you need more than 32gb id say go stright for it. I made that mistake initially, had to buy 64gb kit and im stuck with my 32 kit but im an edgecase running multiple graphical programs at the same time with too many tabs :smiley:

I’ve run into some of the issues with games throwing a fit if they’re not the only ones running with a 2x8GB kit (though very infrequently, and I can’t remember which game… Might have been God of War). Otherwise, OBS, learning DaVinchi Resolve, learning 3D/2D CAD, self teaching coding languages (continuing to work on Python, HTML5, touching on C and C#)… I’m recognizing 16GB is riding the redline, so I’m fairly certain 32GB should be fine.

1 Like

I think this is the non SE model? The SE model performs worst than the non SE model and for some reason on AM5 isn’t as good as on the equivalent intel platforms. I personally run a Peerless Assassin SE in my rig though only an Ryzen 5 5600 overclocked. Room ambient is right now for me is like 83 degrees Fahrenheit and my cpu idles at like 37 degrees Celsius and like 63 under cinebench for an hour. Cooler is pretty quiet too but I am rocking like 5 140mm Artic p14 case fans. Thermalright seriously needs to organize their whole entire line up its absolutely confusing.

If you are going to be doing any sort of CAD work, then you want as much RAM as possible. AutoCAD is one of those programs that absolutely chews RAM up once you really start using it.