Let's talk about computers

From my understanding, it’s purely marketing.

According to Tom’s Hardware, the only changes are that the Strix PSU has larger heatsinks and a better/quieter fan, with a slightly larger pcb to accommodate those two changes. All other components are the same.

1 Like

It might be, it probably is. But hey what ever helps you sleep at night, right? At least that way I can justify the bigger price tag lol.

1 Like

And swapping out the PSU and redoing the cable management (while cleaning the computer) and to have reminded me of how much I don’t like this case… I get it’s a sub $40 case… but it makes trying to do half decent cable management a nightmare.

1 Like

Jesus Christ, I cannot believe up to this day that my best friend’s 4790K build is still fucking alive, after running Metro Exodus at damn Ultra! Hell, the game is also running smooth as fuck as well despite having a GPU that’s like ancient nowdays compared to today’s GPUs. That freaking AMD Radeon R9 Fury of his still a damn beast along with that CPU and it makes me question myself sometimes like “Is this even an old unit or a recent one?”

1 Like

Remember that Audiophile SSD? Some discussion about it here. Oh, it’s also $800.

1 Like

I can’t wait to get this for my 7000D

1 Like

Saw the video Jay did on their new case that has that. Looks cool, but I kinda preferred the Seasonic CONNECT, though it didn’t take off.

Also, anyone ever tried the Zalman ZM-RSA 5.1 Channel Headphone Amplifier shown here?

1 Like

That 4790K is a killer of a CPU…had this for several years and never could see “upgrading”…Using a 1080 gtgx…plays everything well…

I did build a second pc with a later gen Intel and its better running stable on air at 5.00 ghz…same video card…runs most everyhing a feq frames better than the 4790K…

Is it worth this upgrade…well…only if your older 4790K system has died etc…

:>)

Definitely 140, not 120. Yate Loon D14SH-12.
Decided to open the old unit up. Good news is, it’s a standard sized part. Bad news, it is a 2pin.

1 Like

Okay, I must have found a spec sheet for a different variant then. My bad on that. Was definitely afraid it would bee a 2-pin though.

Yeah I do agree, back then I wanted a 4790K build but I was fairly new at the time and didn’t know much about PC building so I had to settle with some specs, let’s say it ran the games just right. Nowadays, I have a 3700X build and I know it’s not the msot recent one but it gets the job done on what I want from my PC. Also I don’t see it possible to upgrading to new parts anytime soon since the pricing lately for PC gaming is fucked up for mostly everyone, and it’s hard to get a part in retail prices nowadays.

1 Like

Boy do I feel that… I’m happy that I was able to get a new PSU for a decent price, but going up from my RX 570 or 1600 just isn’t much of an option right now. Hell, finding a case I like that’s actually available is a little tricky.

1 Like

Why do we have so many computer parts in the past year or two combusting?
NZXT H1

Gigabyte PSU

Asus ROG Z690 motherboards

Acer XV340CK

1 Like

What a way to prepare for the new year, and those are probably the most sophisticated fireworks ever bought.

2 Likes

Gross incompetence on the part of NZXT and Gigabyte; it would appear to be just a batch of bad bulk capacitors on the part of ACER, though there is some reason to believe that they were aware of it and were hoping to get away with it; and it’s looking like the issue with the Z690 Hero was just one of those mistakes that’s going to happen to every company at some point, and they accidentally loaded a batch of capacitors into the machine backwards, which is causing the MOSFETs to burn out. We’ll have to see though, and their response to this will also be kinda important. They’ll need to be more like Fractal Design, and less like NZXT.

And speaking of Fractal Design, don’t forget about this:

2 Likes

Yeah, but I’m willing to give Fractal the pass due to how they handled it. They recognized an issue almost right after launch and proactively created an actual fix while admitting they messed up. NZXT and Gigabyte tried fighting it. Acer should have done a recall on the units within the bad batch. Asus never should have let that get through QA, but we’ll see what their response ends up being.

1 Like

It really shouldn’t have, but at the same time I can absolutely see how that could make it past. You’d have to know to look for it, and even if you tested the board unless you probed that exact cap you wouldn’t know anything was wrong. So I can see how it wouldn’t be caught. But their response is going be everything.

1 Like

Here’s a comment from Builzoid’s video:
“I work for a smd company and i have to say they fucked up at least three times. the pick n place machine is checking the marker on the cap before placing it, the automatic optical inspection failed to check the marker after it got placed and the final function test didnt cover the cap —> HUGE FAIL!
This happens when all these needed quality inspections are not given and when you have to get alternative caps from other suppliers cause the original ones are not purchasable anymore (thx to covid) and the other supplier puts the caps 180° reversed into the strap.”

On the positive side, seems like some motherboards are unaffected. I can’t imagine buying a 600$ mobo, that has the functionality of a matchbox.

3 Likes

One thing about this comment, and that Jayztwocents also talked about: the unbalance in supply and demand is probably a reason a lot of this failures are happening right now. Pressure by lack of supply and having to come out of the blue with alternative components can easily lead to this kinds of failures in an engineering level. At manufacturing level, trying to maintain good metrics in productivity can lead up to bypass in QC checks.

Again, speculation but considering what I’m seeing in component shortages on my end, I wouldn’t be surprised. Still not justified, it’s their job to give a good product without any danger in the first place, so we should held them accountable. Fractal’s reaction is good but it should be the default reaction. Sadly it’s not.

1 Like