Let's talk about computers

Ah yes the perks of having a near retail store for PC parts that at least sell at or close to MSRP. Got a store here that is equivalent to Micro Center, though it will take some time to get there but the trip in the long run is worth it, for most of my needs are there.

Also newegg? More like rottenegg.

1 Like

Guys what do you think about the Kingmax PQ3480 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD? I think for the price is worth a buy and probably my next storage for my games that I want to store in instead of storing my games to my old ass Seagata HDD.

Never heard of that brand before.

2 Likes

As I understand it’s a Southeast Asia exclusive brand, so finding reviews is difficult.

1 Like

The one review I found for it didn’t have anything bad to say, other then limited availability in NA. What kind of price are you wanting to stay under?

Try to stick to the manufacturers (Western Digital, Samsung, Seagate, Kingston, Hitachi , Toshiba aka Kioxia, maybe a few more that i cant remember), in most case their stuff is a bit more expensive but it’s often off set by being faster, more reliable and with better warranty.

1 Like

at least 130 USD or close to it, for I also need to get a new set of RAM sticks for I noticed I have a game for some reason uses a lot of RAM, so a boost from 16GB to 32GB is reasonable to me. But yeah, it would be better to get an SSD first for I think I need to check things first before I do a RAM upgrade, if it does not get resolved, then yeah I need more RAM.

Then it’s not even a question, grab the 1TB Samsung 970 EVO. It’s currently $109 on Amazon and is hands down the best SSD on the market.

You could also go with this Sabrent drive. It has good reviews on both Amazon and Newegg, and is cheaper. But you don’t get Samsung’s amazing drive cloning software which is more than worth the extra money, having used it myself.

1 Like

Yeah for amazon, it is a good deal right now but not here in my country especially when we don’t even have an amazon in the first place. I will do what I can to find a good deal to get that 970 EVO Plus for I know in the first place that it is indeed still one of the best SSDs out there.

The Sabrent? yeah I also saw that in store but I wasn’t sure, now that you mentioned it that it’s pretty good but with the cost of not having a software like Samsung’s, I might consider it as an alternative if the 970 EVO Plus here is not at a reasonable price.

Have you told me that before? Cause now that you’ve said it it seems like you have and I’m feeling a bit like a dumbass for not remembering that. :thinking:

Well, since I don’t know what you have readily available, the WD NVME drives aren’t bad, as long as you make sure you don’t get the one without a DRAM cache. So are the Corsair drives, but they tend to be a bit pricier than most others here in the States. You could look at TeamGroup drives, but I’d be sure to do my due diligence on those before I went with one of them. I also wouldn’t wait too long before making a purchase if you are going to. I’ve seen more than one rumbling that NAND prices could start going up soon, which will raise SSD prices.

1 Like

Yeah you told me about the 970 EVO Plus back then xD and no worries about it, for it is indeed a great SSD. I am just keep on looking for other alternatives and so far you guys have been a huge help.

How much RAM your game can access is determined by the game’s software (and how much you have running in the background). I would say that, in my case, 16 gb is more than enough.

Here’s a link to a nice little program I use at work. I’m an architect an frequently render 3d models with Sketchup - which is RAM intensive. It helps me keep track of how my machine is doing. I also have it installed on my home gaming rig and never see it much over 40%.

MemInfo 3.5.1 Download | TechSpot.

1 Like

I’ll give it a try, thanks.

Sabernt is overall solid choice in SSD, they were one of the first (if not the first) to use Gen4 PCIE, while they dont arent as fast as WD or Samsung drives, Sabernt’s overall seem to have solid track record in terms of reliability

1 Like

What’s the difference between that and Evo and 970/980 Pro? I’ve been looking to get a M.2 myself, just don’t know how much money would be reasonable to spend on a 2TB drive.

Apparently this is a Taiwanese brand and so far from what I am seeing from this in terms of specs, it’s pretty solid and with the pricing I saw for this with a 1TB storage, seems reasonable.

http://www.kingmax.com/en-global/product/product/Model/M.2_2280_PCIe_NVMe_Gen3x4_PQ3480

The EVO line uses TLC NAND while the PRO uses MLC NAND. As for the 970/980, the 970 is Gen3 and the 980 is Gen4.

1 Like

Like I said, the one review I could find for that didn’t have anything bad to say about it beyond limited regional availability. Should be fine if it’s available for you to buy.

Only concern I would have is the fact it uses SLC for cache instead of DRAM. It’s not a huge deal , but it does hurt performance a little. If you’re going to edit video/images or do anything with intensive reads and writes, skip it and look for one of the after mentioned Sabrent/WD Black/ Samsung EVO or PRO line up. If you’re just gaming/daily use them it’s fine.

Also, do you have a SATA SSD or are you still with just a HD? If you’re going out of HDD life than 100% go, it will be miles better. But if you’re just going from a SATA SSD maybe skip it and wait for a better price at a better driver. Improvement from SATA to NVME are very slim IMO. I think it would be better to save up the money and invest elsewhere.

1 Like

I think I forgot to mention this, but I already have a solid M.2 SSD for my OS and I am still using it to this day. And that NVMe SSD would be the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro and I think that is the Gen 1 version and to this day it’s still fast, even though I wanted a 970 EVO Plus back then but when I first received this, it was a game changer for it has been a long time of me constantly enduring the use of an HDD during those times.

But yeah, I think a better SSD than Kingmax would be a better option since one, I don’t know much about them that much and the only Taiwan brand that we’re familiar with would be Lian Li but they don’t sell SSDs. And two, yeah in terms of SSDs right now I am leaning towards either Samsung or Sabrent.

Now that I got many inputs that are mostly helpful from everyone, I think I can safely say that I know what to get next, and maybe after this I will go back to audio-stuff for I miss getting some that is bang for your buck there.