Let's talk about Windows 11

Also, this goes for windows 8 and probably windows 11 too, why do we have different “layers” of settings?? We have the “old” control panel (that i prefer if i am going to mess with settings), and then we have new “settings” that really doesn’t let you do much at all … very frustrating.

You can try using God Mode, I find it useful.

MS did release power tools for Win 10. those should be helpful for deep access.

i know i might sound odd saying this, but i just like Windows as an OS in general. To me, it’s the one OS that defines the PC user experience and PC gaming. It’s the perfect balance between “you can do nearly everything with it” (Linux) and "somewhat user-friendly (Mac). For 36 years, they have managed to keep some sense of familiarity to it that the user urges to find and still gets. In that sense, not having the start button on the bottom left is a bit irritating, but i was happy to still find the old control panel. They always keep us oldschool users in mind and have to. But as soon as the control panel would (or will?) be gone, i’ll be very angry. Yes sure, they have to make the split for also being usable with tablets, but please don’t make too many sacrifices that your trusty desktop nerds would suffer from. Windows is Windows, there simply is no replacement for it. And yes, i hope i’ve triggered all the Linux and Mac folks. I’m a sysadmin, come at me.

In the end it’s your machine and you should run whatever you feel most comfortable using.

Windows 7 was the last good one. All the lessons from XP and Vista combined into one.

Win8 is a mistake.
Win10 doubled down on those mistakes. Stuff that should be 3 clicks away is buried as deep as possible in the settings menus introduces with Vista (because guess what: The Kernel is OLD!)

Judging Win11 by the way Micro$hit has handled the pre-release so far, will not make its way to my harddrives.
If I want a dumbed down OS, MacOS already exists.
If I want more spying eyes on me, ChromeOS already exists.

Windows 11 will also be a huge PITA for any company since a lot of OEM machines in use right now do not support TPM 1.2 or even 2.0. Enjoy replacing hundreds of office boxes for no good reason!

My current plan is to get my hands on server hardware and a MS Server license to cover my Windows needs. Everything that matters I do in an Operating system that does not fall apart at 64 CPU threads.

2 Likes

there are already some registry hacks to get around the TPM requirement.

1 Like

So far the only even remotely reasonable explanation that I’ve heard for the TPM requirement, is that Microsoft has claimed that machines with TPM and secure boot reduces malware.

TPM reduces malware, Microsoft claims

They go on to say that Windows 11 is essentially Microsoft drawing a line in the sand and saying, “right, from this point on, every version of Windows moving forward is going to require this. If your current hardware doesn’t support it, or you just don’t want a new computer right now, that’s fine. You will have Windows 10 for a few more years, but after that, you are going to have to have it. We think the security it brings is too important to not make it a requirement.”

Of course, as shown by @Marzipan, techies are a pernicious sort, and will just take that as a challenge.

Edit: Can someone please tell me how to get the video preview to show when I post a video link instead of just the text link? Because apparently I don’t what I’m doing. :cry:

Windows 11 is rarely adopted by business until it’s forced on them. LoL!

Which, given the below article, is… ehm… yes?

2 Likes

I had not heard about that yet. Can’t say I’m terribly surprised by it. Honestly more surprised that we don’t have things like that happen more often.

I am certain stuff like that happens a lot, we just rarely hear about it. You know, like the “critical”-classified bugs in various mission critical software that nobody likes to talk about.

Win11 will come out as a bugfest, security nightmare and user headache inducer. Just like Win10.

2 Likes

-Hi, I’m a PC.
-And I’m a mac.
-…no, you’re just a PC with Windows 11.
-What?

2 Likes

I mean technically that is not exactly wrong. TPM when properly implemented can reduce access malicious programs have… but I have yet to see it actually properly implemented. It also makes really stupid ideas a lot easier to implement like creating walled garden ecosystems when only approved applications (Even hardware combinations) are allowed to run.

Really the only good way to actually reduce malware is to have informed users, but that actually takes fundamental effort and technology companies would rather treat everyone like they are toddlers with products they are nearly borrowing from then and not actually the owner of.

to be fair, most users don’t want or care to learn. so a lot has to be enforced.

1 Like

I have used Windows since the 3.x days. Used MSDOS before that. Worked at M$ Redmond campus for a year as a contractor from 2000-2001. The more I use Windows the less I want Windows to be so successful. Windows 10 was supposed to be “the last operating system we release” according to a M$ article.

Coworker I had this same conversation with said “Maybe Windows 11 should just be another major Windows 10 release.” The Win10 major release makes more sense If M$ is just going to give away the upgrade. I am missing what their end game is. Revert to coping Apple?

Agreed! Adding more bloat to an operating system does not make it more secure. The problem is mainly bad programmers. Also M$ likes buying other company’s IP and forcing it to work within Windows.

Makes me glad I bought a MacBook Pro 13 M1 a couple weeks ago. Plus I am mainly a Linux person at heart.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, the CPU requirements they’ve mentioned so far seem much more likely to prevent malware infections than secure boot or TPM. I’m referring to the items they’ve mentioned like VBS and HVCI/MBEC. If they’re trying to go all-in with those, then I can see why, in principle, they really couldn’t leave secure boot behind as a requirement and allow someone to bypass all the fancy schmancy CPU-based security by simply sticking something like a rootkit-loading thumb drive into a USB port.

1 Like

It is not going to help anything with Crypto-Malware since that works on a user level.

Internet requirement is ridiculous

1 Like

Yet another example of why the “Professional” version of Windows needs to actually be aimed at professionals and not just the Home version with group policy. At the very least there needs to be a mode in Professional that allows knowledgeable users to circumvent the mollycoddling.

I was speaking mostly for employee users, where this is necessary because staff don’t care to learn.