Let's talk about Windows 11

Why can’t they just use Win 7 as their main baseline have some tweaks made to it here and there? kind of like what Apple does to their OS, I am not a fan of apple but they are doing far better things on their software side. I remember the shit show of me using Windows 8 when it first came out, I thought it was cool at first but then I realized, sometimes it’s ok to be that SIMPLE as long as it works fine for everyone, regardless of their computer literacy.

It probably has been with every version after 7.
Like the Control Panel, still remains.
They just “Candy” the visible side to normal users and new commands to new and oldies.

Some new “Director/Boss level” has to make his mark and visible side has now been renewed.
The “all” new windows. Agree fully on “make it simple and work”.

To be honest the so called “new” and “innovations” being called nowadays are like a rehash from things that were already a thing back then. Meaning in my opinion, they are shittier than the original ones.

3 Likes

Don’t like how the trend of companies setting desktop OSes becoming more phone centered. Having to have Android apps on Windows 11 means more privacy concerns and exploits. The biggest elephant in the room is the forced system requirements supported by the newest computers and shutting off windows 10 life span too forced millions of people to spend on new expensive hardware. I’ll just use both windows for gaming and Pop_Os for anything

welcome to HFG!

however, just because Windows 11 can run Android apps doesn’t mean you have to. it’s a feature / function that is available, but you aren’t being forced to take advantage of it unless you choose to.

I’m wondering how the built in emulation will work vs. the one’s like BlueStack.

Thanks man,

I thought I thinking that they’re forcing users to rely on their Win store and the removal of executable programs.

Definitely not. I’ve got Win 11 running on my test bench here. I’m currently running just about everything that I’ve got on my primary desktop and it’s all been running fine.

Well, if they were, then suddenly Intel with their stupid “small & big” cores would make sense on desktop.
A neat concept proven by ARM to work amazingly well for phones. On Laptops and Desktops (or Servers), it is BS of the highest order.

In case anyone wants some news on Intels “Architecture” day:

it’s not BS…yes. we don’t know how the big LITTLE will work on the PC yet…only time will tell. I suspect for the consumer and entry level business user there will be no noticeable difference while the pro-sumer, gamers, and content creation / CAD users may. but again, only time will tell.

Yes we will:

• NO operating system is aware of half the cores being different.

• Windows still has problems scheduling on normal cores (when it gets to 32 cores, it goes bye-bye)

• Except Linux, no operating system is NUMA aware and can schedule accordingly

• AVX-512 being as special as it is is STILL irrelevant outside of benchmarks and like 3 purpose made scientific applications (introduced in 2013, so GL with “core aware”-software)

Edit: Forgot one! Remember Intel™ Xeon™ Phi™?
Those “look at all these cores!”-cards? Required special reprogramming of everything because they were x86 but not really.
Was a big shame nobody cold Intel about AMD and Nvidia or OpenCL…

Yes, everything will randomly be slow when Windooze decides your program needs to be scheduled on the small-cores now.

What CAD users want is what AMD built: Massive Cache, massive Core Count, massive Bandwidth.
Intel just can’t even with all their ++++++++

1 Like

This is why I won’t be the first to use this technology, but honestly scheduling in windows and other OSes has needed to be fixed for a while. Hopefully this time engineers and software designers will actually be working together to make something suitable. Or it will be a popcorn worthy shitshow.

It is just Windows.

Boy are you in for a treat! :popcorn:

I have had Linux do some weird core hopping… but less and less on more recent kernels. But yes nothing is as bad as windows.

This is why people should be leery of fast adopting Alder Lake. I’d expect most of the bugs to be worked through by the time Raptor Lake launches next year, but buying into Alder Lake early is going like playing Russian Roulette. Maybe even doubly so since you’ll also have to move to Windows 11 to even have a hope and prayer of the cores being addressed properly.

Isn’t that the truth.

And yet there are people making a big to-do over Alder Lake dropping AVX-512 support. Seems to me that if AVX-512 is something you are specifically in need of, shouldn’t you be on an HEDT platform anyways?

I have absolutely no trust in Microsoft to figure things on their own. I do, however, have a bit more confidence in Intel now that they have proper leadership back in place. The scheduler for big.LITTLE will eventually get sorted out, it’s just a matter of how long it takes. Now having that, I will make no such prediction for them fixing the scheduling issues for very high core counts or NUMA awareness.

A little decrapification coming to Windows 10 and 11 due to EEA regulations (you’re welcome, rest of the world), plus more stuff that will only be mandatory in EEA countries (at first anyway):

4 Likes

The Browser wars (and laughable fine attached to it) seem to be too far in the past.
Freaking EU raised finger to get basic options…

1 Like

what really sucks is that is only going to be done / available for the EU. I wonder if the license will be geographically restricted or if it will be available by what you set on installation. here’s to hoping the license keys are geo-tagged somehow as then us 1% er’s should be able to get them easily…

Yeah if you think about what’s been won it’s configurability that used to be just-normal. You have to bring down the full power of the law (or what’s left of it) nowadays just to get these shits to make an OS that behaves like an OS.

Article says region picked during installation, but that does make it a little too easy for everyone worldwide to just screw MS out of their monopolistic features, so who knows.

I’ve had customers blocked by the installation process when the IP address doesn’t match the region selected. they were in Canada, but they wanted to set it to the US because that’s where they lived most of the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like