Lets talk about your tips! ;)

I use Achohol pads between listening when I remember and deep clean when dirty with 50% Apple cider vinegar and Isopropyl

3 Likes

Ear infections are no jokeā€¦had one about 20 years ago and lost high frequency hearing in one ear for a month from sleeping on the floor at a friends cribā€¦at least thatā€™s my hypothesisā€¦for an avid music lover thatā€™s like a death sentenceā€¦take care of your ears by visiting an audiologist at least once a yearā€¦sounds paranoid but this is coming from experienceā€¦donā€™t fuck with your ears fellasā€¦and donā€™t stick anything bigger than your elbow in your earā€¦except for an IEM :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

5 Likes

Best way for me is to use a hearing aid cleaning spray, because it works and these are proven products, used by millions of people.
Something like that: https://www.auditionconfort.com/gb/maintenance-of-hearing-aids/16-76-disinfectant-spray-with-brush-intrapro-hearing-aid-cleaner-96178232.html

3 Likes

I agree and have been meaning to post something along those lines. Iā€™ll share what happened to me, albeit somewhat of a ā€œstupid humanā€ thing I didā€¦ I had water in my ears but did not notice and was auditioning the AFUL MagicOneā€™s. Them not being vented, and after several hours of taking them out and jamming them back in, caused a forced pressure effect on my ear drum and the water being forced further in. I cut that out and moved onto the next ā€œstupidā€ mistakeā€¦

The next day I put on my headphones (Senn HD598cs) to relieve some pressure on my ear since it started bothering me a bit, still wanting to listen to music. I was trying to get a good seal over my ears with the pads and then pressed them onto my head a few times, causing a vacuum suction effect on my ear. Again, dumb mistake number two. Now the right ear was really pissed at me and has been ā€œsoreā€ for a few days now.

I miss listening to my IEMā€™s and will need to wait until the ear heals a bit to re-audition and compare my MagicOneā€™s with the others I have to pick up the differences. I guess to reiterate what @Toecutter saidā€¦be sure to take care of your ears and try to avoid doing the silly (and potentially damaging) things to them. :ear: :loud_sound: :ear:

2 Likes

I hear you my friendā€¦no pun intendedā€¦be careful with your ears guysā€¦spent much of my youth listening to music too loud and always wanting to stand in front of the stacks at concertsā€¦you only have two and just like eyes you donā€™t want to go through life monauralā€¦Iā€™m not preaching just speaking from experienceā€¦Iā€™m sure the young guys are ā€œwhatever manā€

5 Likes

Finally pulled the trigger on a set of Deep Mounts. I had tabled the search, planning to do a deep dive in search of the best price, but given your comments on availability, I thought, wth, and grabbed a set in my size off the 'Bay.

Looking forward to it, because I have been enjoying the Velvets that came in the package w/Fudu on a few sets, but Iā€™m always game for an improvement, and this will reduce the need for tip swapping (if not cleaning).

Iā€™m also in the IP gang - wiping down once a day, and soaking periodicallyā€¦

I like the idea of the tip laundry bin @domq422 !

3 Likes

Agree :100: . Deep mount all the way

3 Likes

FYI

Cleaning tips frequently is definitely a good thing though.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly rightā€¦the wax has antimicrobial properties and also insulate the inner ear from heat generated by the headā€¦donā€™t ever use Q-tips or any shit like thatā€¦jaw movement alone should dislodge any built up wax once it driesā€¦itā€™s there for a reason

I noticed they are small boreā€¦do they cut the HF

No they sound more like wide bore tips like azla, jvc and that velvet tip.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good point. I got the Deep mounts through an order from Amazon.jp, @GooberBM and I both chose some things we wanted on the same order. The Velvets are on Amazon Prime in the US now, so theyā€™re much easier to get.

Trust me, brother Iā€™m very familiar with ear issues. I was born with some and Iā€™m still dealing with it to this day. I got my first ear infection in about 15 years 6 months ago and the pain was the worst pain in my life. My ear drum completely ruptured which isnā€™t the first itā€™s happened to me, but it was the first time it happened in my left ear. It was horrible.

Dude, sick rec. Thank you for that. Iā€™ll definitely look into buying some of this spray for sure.

100% my friend. I donā€™t use Q-tips within my ear canal but just on the outer ear. Ear wax is needed to keep all the bad shit out of your inner ears but the constant using of IEMs on a daily basis does make you more aware of the amount of wax being produced.

2 Likes

Yeah I use amazon jp as well and the shipping is not that bad considering its all the way from japan to sweden for me and they use dhl express and costs around 20 usd for shipping, dhl express is usually at least 2x that price for me from asia.

Another reason why buds are superior. :wink:

3 Likes

Exactly, shipping cost and time is a killer honestly. If it wasnā€™t such a hassle, I would have more of the Deep mounts tips. But for now, I have 1 set and thatā€™s good for now. Although, I think I lost one of M size tips which absolutely sucks considering thatā€™s the most common size for me :smiling_face_with_tear:

LMAO - I wonder why youā€™d say that :wink:

2 Likes

Regarding cleaning I would urge caution on isopropyl since that can break down some rubber or plastic so if you notice any film or anything then just use soap and water. Thats my recc.

8 Likes

My goto are whizzer,Tangzu Tang Sancai Wide Bore,epro horned tips,radius deep mount. I audition each one with new iems and go from there. But those are really the only ones I ever use

1 Like

I struggle with the Kailua and the Dunu S&S was the tip that worked for me. I am usually a Spinfit CP100+ small, but the Dunu S&S I used was a medium.

@domq422
With silicone tips I probably rinse them in hot water every 3 months or so, but I take them off and clean them with a brush about once a week ( I think I am using a keyboard brush ). I have flakey ear wax, and that tends to get most of the bits off.

3 Likes

Makes sense to use larger tips on a short nozzle iem. Iā€™ll get to try it on mine next week.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m no expert, but I have an IE600 here on loan, and I absolutely needed to go up to a large from my usual medium with the Dunus- also, but looked at theirs sizing chart, and it looked like their large was closer to the mediums from many other tip makersā€¦

Coreierā€™s doing what they doā€¦Donā€™s trumpet the drums and cymbals :ok_hand: soundstage and imaging :ok_hand: and yeah da Bass is still :sound: #Z1R ā€¦

1 Like